“My favorite hotel on the planet!” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
15% Off - Limited Time
Ranked #14 of 19 hotels in Coronado
Los Angeles, California, United States
“My favorite hotel on the planet!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

This is a general review of the "Del' (which is how the locals lovingly refer to this historic resort). We have stayed at the Del many times over the years, and I now realize that I have never written a review for them!!! Well, that is unacceptable. So, let me make up for it now. The first time I stayed at the Del, about twelve years ago, I was single and carefree. Woo hoo! I was staying at the hotel for a wedding, and I thought, "this place has so much going on, what a blast!!!!" Cut to years later, when my boyfriend and I stayed at the hotel, and my new thought was along the lines of "this is the most romantic hotel I have ever seen." I stayed there again several years later when my mom was in town, and I thought, "this is such a great hotel to reconnect with family." Now, my "boyfriend" and I are married with two children, and when our family stays at the hotel, I say to myself, "this is the best family hotel in the entire world!" In other words, this hotel is perfect for EVERY occasion. It is so historically lovely that I don't even know where to begin. The Victorian building itself is my favorite. The rooms are all different from each other since it was not build in a cookie-cutter manner. The floors are charmingly "crooked" in the hallways (for lack of a better word), and the walls just ooze with history. Back when the hotel was built in the 1800's, people would come with their trunks and stay all summer. This means that the closets in the rooms are HUGE. When our children were babies, we would set up the pack n play in the closet (leaving the door open, of course!) and it was like we had an extra room! The rooms themselves are light and bright and airy, and the staff is impeccable. The hotel's restaurants are delicious (you really can't go wrong at any of them), or you can walk to any number of restaurants and cafe's in town which are equally as good. The hotel sits on Coronado Island, which is a little world unto itself. When we cross the massive bridge from downtown San Diego to Coronado Island, I always feel like I've entered another world. I've stepped out of the rat-race for a brief time. Anyway, back to the Del. The hotel also offers many extra-curricular activities. Of course, the world-famous white-sand beach out front is the show-stopper (and was just ranked the U.S.'s best beach this year by Dr. Beach, "America's Foremost Beach Expert" ), but there is also a very nice swimming pool, an on-site ice-cream shop, surrey rentals, and ice skating in the winter. They have plenty of kid activities, including family marshmallow roasts on the beach at night, and romantically-lit bars and restaurants for those who want nothing to do with kids! This truly is my favorite hotel, and I could write about it forever (did I mention the Hollywood history? "Some Like It Hot" with Marilyn Monroe was filmed here. Oh, and the Thanksgiving feast in one for the ages! Oh, oh, oh, and I can't forget to mention the lights at Christmas time -- pure magic!), but I guess I'll just leave it at that. If you decide to stay at the Del, you won't be disappointed. In fact, you'll probably come back again and again. Just like they did every summer over 100 years ago.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the Victorian building if you're a history buff! Even if you're not!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
We are truly delighted that you have had so many wonderful experiences and memories at The Del. As you mentioned, we offer a myriad of accommodations and dining options. In addition to the historic Victorian Building, we also offer the option of the cottages and villas at Beach Village. We appreciate your recognition of our service and are pleased that you continue to return to The Del. We look forward to your next visit!

2,727 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (661)
  • Polish first
Macomb, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

the hotel architecture was awesome, being on the beach was cool. the ocean view from my room was beautiful, but still hard to justify the $$$. Way too many airplanes and hellicopters soaring low and loud just off the shore. Helicopters every 10 to 15 minutes. I found that distracting rather than relaxing. Room service and restaurants and bars in the hotel were way overpriced once you tacked on the 22% surcharge and ($5.50 "trip fee" for room service) plus tax. Looks like there are 100 layers of paint on the walls. Cleaning staff did not clean the seagull poop off of the balcony and chairs daily, so it was kind of disgusting to go on the balcony I paid so dearly for.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms are not worth te price. Room 3327 is supposed to be haunted.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the architecture and the beautiful ocean view from your room. We are sorry that some aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations. Thank you for your valuable input and we hope you will consider returning to The Del.
New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Gorgeous property. Beach is beautiful, lots of shops and good restaurants available, both at the hotel and across the street. Stayed in the California Cabanas building and room was quite spacious and quiet even though we were on the ground floor. Nice desk area so you can easily work. We ate at the 1500 Ocean restaurant which was quite good, and two places across the street - Miguels, which had excellent Mexican food in a nice atmosphere, and Brigantine which was exceptional. Took the ferry across to San Diego, which was enjoyable, except for the cab ride from the hotel to the ferry station. Taxis leave much to be desired in this part of the country. Very nice stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
We are thrilled to hear that you had a nice stay at The Del and enjoyed dining at 1500 OCEAN. Thank you for your positive comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Wichita, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We have been to the "Del" many times over the last few years but this time we were lucky to upgrade to" full ocean view" in a cabana room! It was well worth the small fee and the location was fantastic with the pool and hot tub out our front door and the beach and ocean a few feet away out the back door. My wife attended her conference while my teenage son and I enjoyed the beach and spa. A week was too short !

Room Tip: Get the ocean view Cabanas
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience at The Del. We are glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay and got to experience the gorgeous ocean views. We are happy to provide an environment that is wonderful for a conference, family fun or any other occasion. We hope to see you back soon.
Avon Lake, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Now have visited the Hotel Del 12 years in a row and the best keeps getting better (even in a bit of fog and drizzle)! Great ambiance and service. Oceanview rooms provide great vistas. Great eateries and stores within walking distance and the breakfast buffet at Sweetwaters is to die for.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
We are so happy to hear that you have made The Del a tradition for the past 12 years. Having attentive service and unforgettable restaurants are two of many things we take pride in. Thank you for taking the time to submit your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to soon.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I really do love this hotel. This was our 3rd stay here. This time we chose the Victorian Building and it was as beautiful as I had hoped. Rooms all newly remodeled and very spacious. HUGE ocean facing balcony was wonderful. My only complaint with this hotel is all the tourists that are constanty walking around and taking up seats. I just feel like when you are staying here you should get priority in restaurants and seating in the lounges. Seems to me you could stay at a cheap hotel and still have all the benefits of staying at the Del just by showing up. Last Christmas when we stayed, there were several times we couldn't even ice skate because of all the "walk ins". I would think at the least, the first hour of ice skating each day should be for paying guests only. LOVE the hotel, it's just beautiful and they definitely don't build them like it anymore, but I just wish paying guests would get a little more attention than the droves of people who just show up to look around. Also, I'm not a fan of buffet's but the breakfast buffet is amazing. Granted, at $40 a piece it should be, but I've never seen such a great selection

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast at Sheerwater and your accommodations. We would recommend visiting in the fall or spring when the weather is beautiful and the crowds are fewer. Again, thank you so much for sending your comments and we hope to see you back at The Del soon.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We have been going to the Del for many years and our recent trip may well have been our best. Never has the property been more beautifully kempt. It is an incredible balance to provide contemporary services and standards to a National Landmark and a historic property like Hotel del Coronado. We stayed six days and could have stayed six more.

Service is impecable, the grounds are spotless and the building is a jewel. What more could anyone want?

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
We are glad to hear that you continue to enjoy your stays at The Del. We pride ourselves on providing legendary service as we celebrate our 125th anniversary this year. Thank you for your valuable feedback and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!