“It's Incredible Folks. Ignore The Lowlifes' Bleatings” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
15% Off - Limited Time
Ranked #12 of 18 hotels in Coronado
San Juan Capistrano, California
“It's Incredible Folks. Ignore The Lowlifes' Bleatings”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Because I just spent 3 wonderful days at the Del Coronado after no small amount of trepidation from carping reviews here, this is going to be a bit longer than my usual. And those aren't short. If you can't take the time, I'm sorry. But in a word, "the Del" is fantastic, and those who say otherwise are just wrong. I'll try to break this into categories, but trust me: This is a great place with few flaws.

Arriving:

We arrived on Labor Day Saturday afternoon at about 5. We didn't come earlier, because the Del advises customers, "Check In is at 4." Unlike critics who think they are too important for rules, we realized that check-in at that time makes housekeeping possible and gets staff out of the halls. So when we arrived, the Valet Parking was quick and easy, and our bags were taken by a very friendly porter, who handed the bags off to a bellman who came up to us as we checked in. Since we did as asked - after 4:00 - there was only one guest ahead of us. Regrettably, she was the Nasty Guest From That Bad Place, who thought that yelling at the Reception Clerk about the size of her room, and throwing around (non-existent) weight ("I've stayed here since I was a little girl and you owe me better!) would help. Today's lesson, gentle friends: "The abuse will stop when you kiss my posterior," really doesn't work many places. I was amazed the clerk didn't call security. My wife's manners were much better: She showed our reservation, explained it was a special weekend, and a smiling (how, I don't know!) clerk got us in immediately. And probably to a rather nicer room. "Our" bellman took over, getting us into the incredible cage elevator, to our room, where - unlike porters in most hotels - he carefully put each separate bag in the location we asked, showed us how the room "worked" (lights, air, etc.) and left. Wow. 20 minutes from the time we drove in, we were relaxing in our room at The Del.

The Room:

Because it was cheaper, we stayed in "The Victorian" section. This is the "original Del" with rooms from small (see below) singles to luxurious suites. Some face the ocean, others, the street or parking lot. For those who rant about "I paid $350 for a parking lot view!", that meant that from our window, we looked out at 4 massive (100 foot high) Norfolk Pines, into the inner harbor of Coronado Bay, as we watched the marina with the passenger ferry arrive, with the blue-clad mountains in the distance, the full moon rising from them later that night. We thought it lovely, especially since it was through two lovely windows THAT OPENED TO FRESH AIR. When did you last see that? With sash-corded fully functional "lift" so you could (if you wish) smell the salt air and floral scent on the air. Drat! The ceiling fan from the ornamental (original) ceiling kept us so cool we didn't even use the new thermostat for the "as cold as you want it" air conditioning.

It gets better: We had a modest room, with a little bit of irregular shaping, which we loved; if you want a room as nice (and no nicer) than every other room in a hotel, I suggest you go to Motel 6. But I spent 20 minutes, just for the hell of it, looking for a blemish. The paint on the woodwork looked as if it was done last week, with nary a chip or bad edge, even though much of the ornamental millwork was obviously original (1900 era) with small dents. A solid wood door? Absolutely. Elegant modern wallpaper without even a slight curl? Yes. Stylish furniture - a desk, a cabinet with a refrigerator, a flat screen TV, a tray with a new coffeemaker and (gasp!) Starbucks, not "Old Dustbucket," coffee and free Evian. A comfy chair. A small closet with a safe. And, most of all, a gloriously comfortable queen bed with what seemed like hundreds of pillows and truly elegant sheeting. Was there a lot of foot room after that? No; but we knew we were staying in a room that was unique and shaped like no other in the building, we were charmed. (And since many people leave hall doors open for breeze, we say many other rooms on our floor, some smaller, some larger, some suites. All charming and very functional.)

The bathroom was delightful, too: New-looking Del robes hung from the (solid wood) door, and the motion detector turned the light on as we entered. A sink, with adequate room for our toiletries (and a shelf below for the rest) was of marble and a good quality faucet set. The toilet did what it should, and the shower/bath was not only comfortable, but with an adjustable shower head with incredible pressure (and plenty of hot water).

Did I mention there wasn't a bit of water damage? No mold? No dirty grout? That the bathroom, like the entire room, was CLEAN? Drat. What could be better? The bathroom, like the bedroom, was immaculate. What can be better?

Well, leaving and coming back. As requested (you have to, but it's free), our bed was turned down, a gentle card with a placid thought (one day from the Dalai Lama) covered with a few lovely (and perfect) shells from the beach, with the lights dimmed. And a special greeting from Reception for our special day. This was a room to enjoy. We went to bed happy, and awakened happier.

The Common Areas

Despite the comfort of sitting and feeling the breeze in our room, we left. Usually we took the elevator, because it is one of the few in America that remains as an "open cage" manual elevator, with operators who seem like they were there when the Del opened 100 years ago! Gentle, kind, we loved them. But we also used the elegant wood stairs past the incredibly beautiful second floor, with its near-total wood paneling, ceiling and rails. I couldn't find a smudge, and by now I was looking. Down to the comfortable open lobby, with the adjoining "library" to relax in. Out from there into the open courtyard, which was like a lovely cloister in white wood, green grass and flowers. By now, I'm looking for any kind of maintenance defect, and the whole drat place - all wood - is perfectly painted. Out to the front, where we toured the grounds, seeking the Bar and the main restaurants on the way, all of which were inviting.

And yeah, the line at the ladies' room.

That's a bum rap, too: I asked my wife, later that day, "I counted five other ladies rooms within a 2 minute walk, three on the same level. Why didn't people use them?" It's not rocket science, folks: You ask any of the really nice staff, and they point you to several. Nor is it fair to make the Del sound insensitive: The ladies room by the restaurants is also at the main beach entrance, where nonguests as well as guests come in; this place isn't a stadium, dudes and dudettes. Just ask and you'll find what you need.

The Pool

Drat but this is a fine pool. No, there's no seagull stuff in it. A few birds fly overhead (this IS the beach, you know), but the pool is clear, clean and happy. Lots of families play, and every time we went (and we sort of lived there!) we just asked people, "Is someone sitting in these chairs" and in almost every case the chairs we sought were available. Staff were enthusiastic, happy and willing to help (there and, in truth, everywhere...I didn't see one "grump," not even the guy who constantly went around the pool and beach emptying trash. Towels were plentiful, there were activities for kids and teens, and the music of the live cover band - incredible top quality for four hour performances! - was loud enough to enjoy and not so loud to prevent talking.

The Grounds

I was amazed. In three days, I didn't see a piece of litter at this place. Nothing broken. No "yellow tape" keeping you out. Manicured grass, lovely flowers, perfect landscaping. And yet I never saw anyone working. That's planning. And despite the different eras of growth of the Del since the turn of the (20th) Century, everything "matched" and fit in.

The Food

I can't tell you what the restaurants are like, other than the light supper we had on the sundeck (which was tasty and reasonable), but I'll say this: There is no breakfast/brunch buffet in western America (say, west of the Grand Hotel at Mackinac Island) to match the Del on Sunday. Service was impeccable but not obtrusive; the meats and seafood consistently hot, beautifully prepared and served, and the pastries and desserts....well, here's how good they are: I told our server I'd like to meet the Pastry Chef, and when Daphne Higa came out, I told her I'd like to adopt her. Meant it, too. MORE FOR ME!!!!

The Staff

I talked with most of the staff I saw, since they were all friendly. Each one - reception, bell staff, concierge, elevator, sales, pool, parking - was professional, gave 100%, smiled (and yeah, smiling on a day that was a holiday for the rest of us...LABOR Day), and helpful far more than required "to get by." Our first night, it appeared that the "turn down" got overlooked; when we called to Reception about it, a supervisor (!) appeared literally within 3 minutes to apologize, freshen the bed, and give us "our shells." Staff is what makes a hotel (or any business) great, it works here.

Parking.

Yeah, its $40 (valet) and $30 (self). And that's the price at most large hotels now. Sorry. But if you bring a car, you pay, and you get a protected lot. And the price is the same for everyone; if the "high rollers" in the $700/night got it free, then us peasants in the other rooms would pay more. Or if it was included, the room rate would go up for everyone. Am I the only one in Trip Advisor who understands what TANSTAAFL means?

Resort Fee: This is an increasingly standard "non optional add on" for hotels like this. It's stupid, since it's really part of the room rate, but it gives the appearance of a slightly cheaper room. But unlike most places I've gone, including the WiFi as part of this price is outweighed by the incredibly good, fast, reliable WiFi I could use on my computer and phone.

Who Is The Del For?

Some reviews try to be criticy about the clientele. Well, I'm sorry, folks: This is an old "destination" hotel, like the Grand (Mackinac), Don Pedro (Tampa), The Breakers (Palm Beach), Greenbrier and The Homestead. It's not a remote "rock star" hotel hideaway. Families come here, and have an incredible time with pools (at least 5), kids' activities, beaches and roaming. Couples (like us) come and have a wonderful time watching sunsets, having a glass of wine on the sun deck, holding hands and strolling past The Dragon Tree into the Vista Patio. Business people have innumerable meetings here (the Crown Room and the Ballroom are huge for such things, with a bunch of smaller rooms, too.) If you want nightlife, San Diego's Gas Lamp Quarter is 15 minutes away; Coronado Village is quirky and fun (including the SEALS and fighter jocks from NAS Coronado), and the three-piece on the deck is great to sit by on the couches and small fires. If you want a kid-hostile place, go elsewhere. If you want a sterile lobby, go to Holiday Inn. But this place is FUN.

The Bad Stuff.

This part's not long, although I tried to see what I could find: Our bathroom was mildly musty, since it lacks a fan. (Because the ceilings and walls are plaster, it would be hard to put one in, I think.) That was solved by opening the door, which, due to our ceiling fan and open windows, meant Presto! No mustiness. The Spa seemed expensive, so we ignored it, and the small pool it has for "quiet times" fronts on the main promenade, so it's not that quiet (but it is pretty!). And - management reading this please take note - I could tell that the paint job was several months old, since the water pipes that were overhead along the inner courtyard hallway on the 4th Floor (around the corner and outside) hadn't been wiped down in several months and had too much "Southern California Black Air" on them. Management might also note that a few housekeeping cars and laundry wagons seem to stay in the halls longer than they need to, and might be better in closets or service hallways. What else? The men’s' room by the pool was a bit messy one day. My key didn't work once and had to be exchanged. That's about it, unless you include Daphne declining adoption, and the screeching lady at Reception.

Ignore the heathens; save your nickels and dimes (it takes a while, yeah) and go to The Del. Yeah, it's this good. Really.

Room Tip: Tell the reception desk what you need, and treat them as nicely as you want them to treat you. They...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
BBrown3275, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Thank you for your enthusiastic endorsement and very thorough review. We are pleased that you appreciate the historic ambiance of The Del and all the nuances that make it so special. As we strive to provide legendary service, we appreciate the recognition of our wonderful staff. Although she declined your kind invitation, I'm sure Daphne will be happy to whip up her delicious pastries for you anytime. We look forward to your return.

2,618 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (618)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

This is a very fancy place to stay, I found the clientele to be snooty, the food and drinks are overpriced, and under performing. That said, the beach is the best in Sam Diego, and the views of the ocean are spectacular. Worth the trio to use the parking, and walk the beach, take in the sights. But don't bother spending $500 a night here. Stay on the mainland for $150 a night.

• Stayed August 2012
We appreciate your input and are glad that you enjoyed our locale on the #1 Beach in America. We apologize that aspects of your visit did not meet your expectations and thank you again for your feedback.
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I've been to the del many, many times. I've never had a bad experience there. Yes, it's expensive, yes it's full of families with smaller children in the summertime. But it's such a special place and worth every bit.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building are quirky, but one of the best parts of the del experience.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your endorsement and we appreciate your loyalty. The Del is an iconic resort and we like to believe that we have something for everyone. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Northern Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We had always wanted to stay at this historic hotel and finally did in August. We are glad we had the experience and will share the highs and lows:

The highs:
1) Our room in the Ocean Tower provided unobstructed ocean views and close access to the beach. It was nice to sleep with the glass doors open listening to the ocean.
2) A nice range of activities! I recommend a paddleboarding lesson and yoga on the beach (even for beginners) -- we saw dolphins during morning yoga which was a treat.
3) There is a Starbucks in the main building with Hotel Del-themed drinks and a wonderful selection of pastries (much better than what you'd find at a traditional Starbucks).
4) The exterior view of the hotel from the beach is just beautiful.
5) Great little shops (clothing shops, ice cream, candy store, etc.) on premises.
6) A fantastic (if expensive) Sunday brunch. If you can afford it, then go.
7) Friendly staff.
8) Many beautiful places to take a family photo.

The cons:
1) This hotel is understaffed for the huge number of guests and visitors. You are likely to encounter long lines at Reception, waiting for a table (even if you have a reservation), very long lines for morning coffee, etc. We also overheard more than one family at Reception complain that the room they received is not the room they had asked for (e.g., requesting two double beds and receiving one king, etc.).
2) A sidewalk runs the entire length of the property between the hotel and the beach, and it is a busy sidewalk...if you are close to it (as we were, on the 2nd floor), you will hear guests and hotel staff (and their carts of linens, dishes, etc.) morning, noon and night. I recommend requesting a room on the 4th floor or higher to reduce the noise.
3) We had tweens/teens with us, and they were unimpressed by the pool and the Vibz teen club (which was always empty). The main pool is not all that large and gets very crowded.
4) A lot of kelp washes up on the beach, which is not the hotel's fault but it surprised me that they did not do more to clean it up.

Other observations:
1) It was not unusual for fighter jets to fly, literally, right over the hotel at low altitude, given the proximity of the naval air station. This did not bother us at all, but it is something to be aware of.
2) You will likely see and hear Navy SEALS in training on the beach very early in the morning (well before 7am), in case you'd like to watch them train.
3) We saw beach weddings every day and FOUR beach weddings in the span of 90 minutes on a Saturday. Future brides and grooms, be aware that it is a beautiful setting, but you will probably be sharing your special day with several other newlyweds.
4) Other than brunch (which was terrific), our experience is that the food at the hotel is not memorable. It's not bad...just not that great either, especially given the prices.

Room Tip: Request the Ocean Tower for a room closest to the beach, and ask for a higher floor to minimize side...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
We are pleased that you had the opportunity to stay at The Del and enjoyed its beachfront location, exceptional staff and all of the nuances that make the resort so special. As a historic landmark, the hotel does get quite busy in the summertime. We recommend those who want a more intimate experience to visit in the fall or spring when the weather is beautiful and the crowds gone. Thank you for your comments and we hope you return again.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Hotel Del is great.

The location and service are both super. The rooms are great, as is the little town to cruise around. I must say, even the Coronado Golf Course is pretty cool. I've been many many places and have to say that I was surprised at how great the HDC was last weekend.

The locale is very cool and very safe as the island is full of Navy Seals, both past and present. If you're looking to choose a nice island to start your life of crime, Coronado might not be choice No. 1.

The beach is also great as the waves are cool but not too gnarly.

To be fair, there were a couple of "not greats", not terrible by any means, but just not great. While the breakfast place, which is mostly if not always buffet, is totally killer on "view"' the food part of the buffet is  7 out of 10. While that's not terribile, considering the awesome views, the food should have blown us away. Lastly, the WiFi was very weak and kept dying out. It was cool that they didn't nickle and dime for the WiFi, by offering two options, one being free, it is lame that it's not strong enough to work everywhere 100% of the time.

One other bummer is having to cross the bridge where Baxter was kicked off. Bummer for Baxter, but bully for all who make it to the HDC.

Overall, I can't wait to go back.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
We are thrilled that you enjoyed your getaway to The Del and were able to explore the quaint village of Coronado. We also love your appreciation for "Anchorman" and look forward to your return.
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

From the moment we checked in until the moment we checked out we were very disappointed. Clearly the Del is coasting. Empty mini-bar - why? Because it's really a fridge - they kept putting the glasses on top of the fridge where it's hot; no robe, just a card; desk chair cushions looked like they had been through the shredder; the edge on one of the blankets was very frayed; we were provided with 1 small bottle of water each day even though there were 2 of us. When we requested 2 bottles for the next day, we didn't receive any so we had to call to request them; at breakfast at the restaurant, the napkins and seats were wet. The $30 A DAY parking [self] charge is ridiculous, especially when you are already paying over $700 a night - the slats in the air vent were painted over so we couldn't adjust them and the air was blowing right on us when we slept - Very disappointing; I would not recommend this hotel to anyone and will never stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
BBrown3275, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Thank you for your feedback and we are deeply sorry for some of the service issues that you encountered during your recent stay at The Del. We appreciate your comments and will share them with our team members so we may make the necessary improvements. Thanks again.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

This is not the place for an intimate couples weekend...especially on a holiday. Everything about the room was nice. We stayed in the old part of the hotel, on the third floor, overlooking the garden. Room was peaceful, balcony nice, great a/c, comfortable bed. There are nice sized fridges...a highly recommend bringing some snacks and drinks. Because once u leave your room...it is bedlam! 30 minute line for coffee, 40 for breakfast, no tables....etc. Hoards of guests from other hotels (we met at least 10 people who say they stay across the street). Descend on the Del. the is no special treatment or recognition for hotel guests paying at least 400/night. For the two day we tried, we could not get pool chairs at either pool. People do the magazine flip flop chair reserve first thing in the morning. And the pool attendants allow it! There is no one checking guests at the door, and we laughed as we saw a guest get up and open the door for 4 adults and 5 kids, with a cooler, stating...we have all the chairs in the corner area. What a joke. I asked the attendant if there were someone to help us and she stated "you just have to look and act fast." The place gives you a headache from the constant barrage of people and lines. Disneyland is less chaotic. Then, the ladies room had a lady washing her babies poopie butt I the sink and splashing everywhere! I finally did have one worker tell me about the hidden ladies room! Otherwise expect a 1o minute line near the bar and restaurant area! I dont want to post it...it was the only peaceful public place! Retreating to our room was a pleasure. Leaving the hotel after two nights was a blessing.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
We are happy to hear your enjoyed your room and view in one of our newly renovated Victorian guestrooms. We understand your frustrations with the summer crowds and would like to recommend if your travels bring you back our way that you stay in one of the luxurious, private cottages and villas at Beach Village. Thanks again for your valuable feedback.

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!