“Perfection achieved!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 18 hotels in Coronado
Sedalia, Missouri
“Perfection achieved!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

I recently attended a conference at the Hotel del Coronado and was introduced to a new level in business accommodations. My room was exceptionally large and all the furnishings appeared brand new. The bathroom was also quite large with a double sink and a wonderful marble-tiled shower. The off-white room colors with the touches of blue, green, and yellow were striking in their simplicity and gave the surroundings an inescapable sense of class. My accommodations also included a lovely private patio that was screened in with many flowering plants. The maid service was superb. After hurrying to a morning meeting and leaving the room in tremendous disarray with an ironing board, bed linens, etc, strewn about the room, I returned a few hours later to discover the room in pristine shape.

The Hotel del Coronado also provided all but one of my meals during this trip. I ate at the Sheerwater Restaurant and Babcock & Story Lounge. The food was delicious in both and the service was impeccable. One of my business associates had numerous dietary restrictions and the staff was very sensitive to their needs. I was greatly impressed with the care that was shown to ensure that this individual was satisfied with their dining experiences. The hotel also catered all our business breakfasts and lunches. The food was well beyond the typical conference fare and included many fresh fruits, vegetables, and seafood that were a welcome site to winter-weary mid-westerners. It was simply delightful to sample so many examples of the famous California cuisine.

Even though this was a business trip, my experience at the Del was the best vacation I have ever had. I felt pampered and indulged the entire time. Despite being on my own, I also could not help but think this was the most romantic hotel I had ever stayed at.

Room Tip: California Cabana rooms are large enough for families. The cabana patios are secluded and quiet.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
BBrown3275, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Thank you for your enthusiastic endorsement and we are pleased that you enjoyed your visit to The Del. As we are always striving to provide legendary service, we appreciate the recognition of our wonderful staff. We hope you have the opportunity to return for a vacation and look forward to welcoming you back.

2,557 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (585)
  • Polish first
West Caldwell, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

I had high hopes for the Del based on things I had heard prior to my trip. My hopes were quickly dashed. I stayed at the Del because I was attending a meeting at the site, but if I had to do it all over again, I likely would have stayed somewhere else. While I understand the Del is rich in history, it was massively frustrating as a guest to be constantly overrun by tourists touring the hotel when you're just trying to get to your hotel room. As if it couldn't get worse, my room was directly next to the loading area, so I was awakened at the crack of dawn daily by trucks backing up and delivering their goods.
The room was subpar at best, and considering the expense of staying there, I was a bit disappointed. The saving grace was that the staff was friendly and professional. If I visit Coronado again, I will not be staying at the Del.

Room Tip: Be sure to request a room away from the loading dock if you like to sleep!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your comments and we appreciate the recognition of our wonderful staff. We apologize for some of the service issues you encountered and will be reviewing your feedback with the appropriate managers. Thanks again.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

We recently spent 2 nights at the Del. The hotel has a rich history and has been around for ages. unfortunately it looks like the rooms haven't been refreshed since the hotel was built. Having spent $500 a night I don't expect to be standing in a tiny bath with an old green curtain shower curtain.. The service is also missing those little touches that make a hotel memorable - turn down, friendly concierge etc.

The location on Coronado is magical, pity the hotel doesn't match. Having to pay $26 per day for self park is also ridiculous.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your feedback and apologize that aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations. We hope you will return and consider staying in one of the newly renovated Victorian rooms or the luxury cottages or villas at Beach Village.
Monrovia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

We stayed hear last April 2011 for our Anniversary weekend. Nice get away. The rooms in the main bldg are older, small, and have a small bathroom. It is updated and clean.
Romantic, with great staff
Can't beat being on the beach. The shops and restaurants on the premises are nice. The pool is large. They offer exercise classes, but it you're going to sign up to do a spin class. Sign up the night before. It gets full quickly.
I have never been to Coronado and the shopping quaint restaurants were a nice walk from the hotel.
Great for the kids too. The hotel is on the beach and there is an ice cream and candy store on the property

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments and we are happy to hear that you chose The Del to celebrate your special occasion. We hope to become a tradition for you and look forward to your return.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

Of course, this hotel is beautiful in the historic sense and certainly impressive but you give up some modern comforts to the experience. I only stayed for one night, and in a small room with no view, but I did enjoy exploring the hotel and the property. The pool and beach area are particularly lovely. The shops downstairs are no big deal. The old elevator with an old-time elevator operator is fun but when he was off duty I couldn't figure out how to get downstairs with my luggage except by dragging it down the stairs. The room was quaint but I have two major suggestions: a shelf near the sink in the bathroom (as there was nowhere to rest my toiletries) and a mirror over the desk instead of a picture (so there is a place to apply makeup). Glad I had the opportunity to experience the Del.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
We are pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay at The Del and appreciate the historic ambiance of this iconic resort. During your next visit, we would suggest staying in the Ocean Towers or California Cabanas which offer more spacious bedroom and bathroom areas. We hope you will return again soon.
East Granby, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

My husband and I have traveled the world over. I am an antiques dealer and he an executive...we were terribly uncomfortable and disappointed in the hotel del Coronado. Evidently the hotel was famous in the early 1900's, but it leaves LOTS to be desired before it measures up to anything like Sandals Resorts or the Hilton chain of hotels. It was freezing cold for the week and NOISY beyond belief. One day and night there was a party next to us in the room and no one even tried to stop it! People were hanging off the adjoining balcony screaming like on college break. We had to complain to management - which happened to be a couple of young twenty year olds which did not care... Two mornings we awoke to beds banging against the walls and orgasmic screams - no privacy at all. Also, the food was terrible. We ate at each of the restaurants and it was the same bad, overpriced food everywhere.
Lastly, the staff was most unfriendly. They were mostly young people that ignored the guests. No one smiled. No one cared. We would not return.
Watch the Marilyn Monroe movie (Some like it Hot) and skip this place. Money best spent elsewhere!

Room Tip: Don't stay in the main Hotel or the beach rooms. Try the more expensive suites on the beach.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing feedback on your recent stay. We apologize for some of the service issues you encountered and will be reviewing your comments with the management team in an effort to improve in these areas. Thanks again.
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

Overall, this property is beautiful. The atmosphere, the staff, the facilities are all excellent. My only beef is that the rooms are way too small and the walls are paper thin. You can hear everything in the hallway and in the room next door. A bit overpriced as well.

Room Tip: If you can afford it...stay away from the basic rooms.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
We are pleased that you enjoyed the historic ambiance that makes The Del so special and appreciate your recognition of our wonderful staff. We are sorry that aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations and hope you will return and consider staying in the more spacious Ocean Towers, California Cabanas or a luxury cottage or villa in Beach Village.

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!