“Could it get any better?” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
15% Off - Limited Time
Ranked #14 of 19 hotels in Coronado
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
“Could it get any better?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

I accompanied my husband to a conference held at the Hotel Del in early January 2012. The beautiful community areas were the kinds of places that made you feel like staying and socializing, and our beachfront room had a terrific balcony where we entertained each night. The WIDE beach was wonderful for losing yourself in thought on long walks. You could eat inside or out in a number of the hotel's restaurants, and it's a very short walk to some wonderful off-property restaurants and nice shops. We got a real kick out of all the famous events and persons associated with the property too. If I could change one thing, I'd make the bathroom more functional, as there was no countertop around the sink - we dealt with that by pulling a small end table up next to the door. Considering there was also an ice-cream shop on the property, I'd consider that a fair trade!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
BBrown3275, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, January 27, 2012
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our beautiful beachfront location, the spectacular ocean view, and renowned history that makes the resort so special. We are glad you had a chance to enjoy a frozen treat from MooTime and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

2,725 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (661)
  • Polish first
Orchard Park, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

We checked into the Hotel del Coronado during the MLK weekend. We stayed at the Ocean View suites which are basically a walk out onto the Coronado beach. We had read the negative reviews of the place, and were quite apprehensive. And indeed, upon arrival we thought the lobby quite dingy. However, our room was excellent! Newly renovated, very clean, marble bathroom, cheery colors in the room, brand new furniture, plantation shutters, etc. The beds are very comfortable, and the view and the veranda overlooking the beach couldn't be beat. We had ordered some drinks into our room, and frankly did not expect them to arrive in less than an hour, but were pleasantly surprised to have them promptly delivered to us. The breakfast buffet is quite pricey but excellent. What a spread! We had stayed at many hotels worldwide, and this would have to be on our list of one of the better places to stay. However, there is a catch to all of this..... During our first night, we were awakened by the loud sounds coming from our bathroom, as if our belongings were moving around. And then there was a loud thud as if something had fallen on the floor, which was followed by the motion-activated light turning on. My husband ran to investigate, but there was no one there! And nothing was on the floor. Hmm... well something just didn't sound right... We checked online, and discovered that the hotel has a resident ghost of a young female who committed suicide at the place next to the ocean view rooms about a century ago. Well, we didn't stop at that... We mentioned the occurrence to the hotel concierge who simply shrugged his shoulders and told us that "actually, the hotel has several ghosts," and that "this is common occurrence…especially for the guests of the ocean-view suites”. AND "it will actually be quite abnormal for us not to experience anything of the sort at least once". After that, I slept away with the fork under my pillow , and another pillow on top of my head :) So, good luck!!! But seriously, we will definitely come back, for the ghosts or otherwise. And lastly, the hotel is also super picturesque.

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms are separate from the main building, and seem like recently renovated and more...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your wonderful feedback! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit and had the opportunity to stay in one of our recently renovated Victorian rooms. We look forward to your return.
Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

Went to the Del fior the first time last week for a scientific symposium, and later my wife joined me for an extended stay. I have to say I agree with every positive review I have read thus far on how wonderful the hotel accommodations are. The staff really does go out of their way to make it a more personable experience, and Coronado Island will make you want to move there right away! I only have one suggestion.... If you think you will need a rental car, make sure you book it direct/online (especially Hertz, as they are the agency of choice with the hotel). After availability seemed tight with a few local companies, I decided to call and compare rates/inventory. I finally booked with Hertz directly [1-800 reservations] and got a great rate. When I went to the hotels Hertz desk, I immediately got a story about how the "Hotel Rate" was X"... which was $30.-/day OVER my reserved rate and that the car I reserved wasn't available.." Hmmmmm?..... When confronted with the reservation and facts, the attendant simply said she was sorry and would honor the reservation rate and upgrade our car choice... You don't think about Caveat Emptor when you're having such a fantastic time, but best to be aware at all times - so go easy on the refreshments ;-)

Room Tip: Ask for Ocean Towers - Beach view!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
We are thrilled that you enjoyed your recent stay and especially appreciate the recognition of our wonderful staff. Thank you for your comments and we hope you return again soon for business or leisure!
Prescott, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

I don't usually like to stay at these hugh resorts but my husband wanted to experience the Del so we booked a Victorian 1 queen bed room using a AAA promotion. Prior to our stay I investigated the events calendar online and familiarized myself with the restaurants, spa etc. Received both a phone call and email asking for any assistance in event planning for our stay - nice touch.
Our room was on the first floor facing the garden with private outdoor seating area. Ceilings are high giving the room a feeling of airiness. Water and coffee were complimentary including a newspaper and internet access.
We enjoyed having happy hour (4pm to 7pm) drinks in the Babcock & Story lounge and watching the sun set outside.
Do take advantage of the events calendar. On Tuesday evenings at the ENO wine room you can sample 10 wines for $12; Wednesday nights a cheese flight is 1/2 off.
At the spa I received a complimentary facial.
In January the weather is cooler so walking the beach is a great activity. For the more adventurous, you can take surfing or kayak lessons. ...again...check the activity calendar online.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your wonderful comments and we are glad to hear that you were able to experience the many unique activities and special amenities that The Del has to offer. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

The location is one of a kind. This hotel is older and has a lot of history. Accordingly, it is not a modern sleek hotel (my favorite type of hotels). Even so, I highly recommend it. It is ideally situated, has AMAZING views, gorgeous suites, great spa services and really nice pool lounge/restaurant area. The hotel has its own AMAZING beach -- very clean and a really good size.

The service is great -- the front desk personnel was very helpful. John did an especially amazing job. He was very helpful and friendly.

I highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting San Diego/Coronado.

Self parking is available -- which is great (you can also valet). You are only 3 miles from downtown San Diego -- but you will not want to leave the resort. It is gorgeous.

TIP: The king suites overlooking the ocean are truly amazing. You should ask for an upgrade -- you will be surprised how easy it is to get this suite if you go off season (at a nominal additional cost). I dealt with John at the front desk -- he was amazing and very helpful.

Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple Value

Room Tip: Room Tip: The king suites overlooking the ocean are truly amazing. You should ask for an upgrade...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
BBrown3275, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, January 20, 2012
We are so happy to hear that you appreciated the historical ambiance of the Hotel del Coronado and enjoyed our oceanfront location, award-winning spa, and amazing staff that make the resort so special. We will be sure to share your comments with John and hope you return soon.
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Del for a few nights beginning on New Year's Eve 2011. It was the first time we had been there during the winter, so of course the holiday traffic was something new.

The staff was actually very good to us and we were eventually able to upgrade our room when the hotel occupancy eased up a bit.

Lots of noise on New Year's Eve with tourists and a big party downstairs party, but that is to be expected, I guess. It is a tourist attraction. The weather was fantastic the first week fo 2012 for winter in Coronado, so we felt very blessed. There was a marine layer that brought fog in early in the evening each night and with the hotel lit up with holiday lights it was very beautiful and unusual looking.

Breakfast at the Sheerwater restaurant still has a nice buffet, but doesn't seem as robust as in previous visits going back at least a year or two.

The hotel does seem to be in need of some updating at this point in the Victorian building and maybe that's why we heard construction noises in adjacent rooms at early hours of the morning AND in the afternoons. I did miss the chance to sleep past 8am or take an afternoon nap while on vacation!

However, I am a fan of The Del, it's history and it's location. Miss some things that have been taken away. Please bring back the hotel channel with "Some Like it Hot" and "The Wizard of Oz," the little green shell glycerin soaps and the shiny up-keep we remember from days gone by. Also miss the hotel binders in the room. It's a pricey room so guests do notice the "little things."

Shop owners in the Del Shops are marvelous to work with. Still love the funky beach-town beat of the island.

DO NOT miss the newly re-opened and restyled movie theater on the island by Vintage Theaters. The art deco renovation and the screen quality, comfort of the luxurious seating is really, really special.

Also love the Burger Lounge. Fun and funky. Great salad with veggie-burger patty. Generous portions, very fresh ingredients in salads.

Love the human-operated caged elevator and The Del staff who operate it. Keep it...it's worth it.

The Christmas tree was spectacular and it was very fun to see it in the lobby upon arrival. Like stepping into a Dicken's novel with the dark wood paneled lobby as a backdrop.

Love the local and independent book shop on Coronado, Dale's swim shop, the people at Von's, The Attic, Lamb's Theater. These are a few of my favorite things!

Of course, the ocean...I'm still in love with the sound and feel of being next to that lovely ocean and it's wonderful beach on Coronado.

Room Tip: Larger rooms in the tower, history in the Victorian building. A personal choice. Rooms are NOT quiet...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your holiday stay at The Del and all the amenities, services and nuances that make The Del special. We appreciate your feedback and recognition of our wonderful staff. We look forward to seeing you again.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

I highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting San Diego/Coronado.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!