“Hotel Staff provided service above and beyond to make 50th anniversary special” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel del Coronado

Stay 3 Nights, Get $300
Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Coronado
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

My wife and I, sister-in-law and my inlaws all traveled together and stayed at the Hotel Del Coronado in September, 2011. We had three separate rooms. My wife and I, and sister-in-law split costs of the room and ocean view (added at check in) as part of an anniversary gift for my inlaws 50th. The in laws were unaware of the gift until after we checked them into the room. Upon arrival Andrea checked us in to the hotel and handled several requests for billing and for rooms with particular views that made the check in complicated to say the least. Andrea was able to accomodate all of the requests and the rooms and billing went seamlessly. In addition Andrea had a bottle of Hotel Del Coronado Champaign delivered to my in laws room to celebrate in their 50 year anniversary. Andrea had checked me in on a previous occassion and she had made a strong impression of providing perfect service at that time. The Del is first class and the staff is committed to the guests needs. We will be back again next year and will be counting down the days.

Room Tip: We like the Ocean towers. If you don't want to pay for a full ocean view then ask for a corner...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
BBrown3275, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, October 14, 2011
Thank you for your kind words about your recent visit to The Del and for recognizing Andrea’s exceptional service. We will be sure to share your thoughtful praise with her. We are glad to hear that your family celebration was a memorable experience that was enjoyed by all. We look forward to commemorating more special occasions with you and your family in the near future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (736)
  • Polish first
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011 via mobile

Great first time at the del rooms are somewhat averge in size but clean.. recommend leaving door open allthetime enjoying ocean breeze ... location and amenities excellent ... most well appointed fitness facility ever seen in a resort.. hope to be back!

• Stayed October 2011
BBrown3275, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, October 10, 2011
Thank you for sharing your stay with us at the Hotel del Coronado. We appreciate your welcoming feedback and we are so glad you enjoyed the fantastic fitness facilities along with our extraordinary beach breezes. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Cypress, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

I have friends who received a gift package the weekend before Halloween to the hotel Del Coronado which is holding a holiday event with a two night package that includes the first night with a kids Halloween movie on the beach and smores. The second night of the event with a costume ball complete with contest and appearance from Kate Morgan the resident ghost and adult trick or treating with wine cheese and chocolates. Well being an avid fan of the holiday I decided to get a ticket and meet my friends there. The event is pricey with a two night minimum at 200 dollars a night and a ticket which starts at 100 not including tax and gratuity. I can see why they take the tip before the service. I called in early Sept to find out more about the event as it was listed on the web site but did not give any information about when and how you could purchase tickets. I was transferred to the concierge who was not available and I left a message which was never returned. I called again during the week and the concierge I spoke with knew nothing of the event and bordered on arguing with me when I said it was on the official web site he said he could not find it and that many of the concierges where new and did not know about all the events. Well I waited a four weeks and called the on Oct 5th to purchase tickets which I did and I was given a confirmation number and they took my credit card information. Well it is now the 8th they have never charged my card and they did not send the E-mail confirmation. I called back and was transferred from voice mail to voice mail and past around and placed on hold for 30 minutes before being serviced by the supervisor on duty at the front desk who checked for me and said that they had no record of my purchase. She was about to send me back to voice mail hell to leave a message for the hotel manager but I refused. I had already been there remember they do not return messages and when I was sent to the hotel managers machine earlier I was in the middle of leaving the message but before I finished it cut me off repeated back my incomplete message without my phone number and hung up on me. I had also been sent to the always helpful Concierge desk and was disconnected while she was trying to transfer me. Well needless to say I made reservations at Loews next door and received a much better rate at $163.00 with tax included and I am not forced into a two night minimum. Well Loews did not send me an E-mail confirmation either so I had to do a follow up call but at least they responded fast and confirmed my reservation and sent me the E-mail within the half hour. What is happening to customer service??? In this weak economy when people want to spend money why do you make it so hard??? If some of the people that work at the hotel Del Coronado loose their jobs please don't blame the economy it probably is your service because I for one will never stay there. At those rates who needs that kind of service. By the way do not call the 800 number if you want to buy tickets for the Halloween event, if you can. They list the event with only the 800 number on the web site you will have to call back at the 619 number. Why make customers call twice just list the number next to the event on your web site. It's simple if you make the customers life pleasant and relaxing they will come to your facility and spend $$$ and hence you keep your job. You do not need a jobs plan to figure this out. Well I still want to meet my friends for the party so I will have to try again to buy a ticket tomorrow all over again. We will call it my 2011 Halloween quest. I'll let you know how that turns out with a follow up review. Let's hope management at the hotel reads this. It is such a beautiful hotel with a wonderful history please don't let modern customer service ruin it!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
BBrown3275, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, October 12, 2011
Our sincerest apologies for the recent unacceptable service you encountered while trying to book The Del’s Halloween package and party. We certainly understand your frustrations with the lack of communications on our end. To that end, we will be reviewing your valuable feedback with the appropriate managers to make sure we address these issues and make the necessary improvements in the future.
Qualicum Beach BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

We've stayed here many times. The experience is variable as are the rooms. Personally we like having an ocean view and pay extra for it. I love being on the side of the new tower that faces the main pool. It is fun to watch yoga on the beach, the action at the pool and listen to the band play at the outdoor bar in the summer. The side facing Mexico is a step down. More traffic noise, overlooks the parking lot and the ugly Shores complex.

One thing you might as well just accept unless you're the type who is willing to speak out, is ridiculous charges, like a $25 fee for connecting rooms. Why this would add to their costbis beyond me. The door is there. It's not like they have to DO anything different. Had I been paying attention I would NOT have asked for it as I don't like being charged for stupid stuff like this. It is pure greed and even those with a bit more $ dont like being ripped off like this.

That aside we've enjoyed our stays at the Del. Just go into it knowing you're going to be nickel and dimmed to death.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Point Loma, not Mexico unless you're well away from the parking lot.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
We are so glad that you and your family enjoyed our wonderful ocean view room that showcases everything fun under the sun! Thank you for sharing your review with us and we hope to see you and your family again in the future!
toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

Have stayed at the "Del" several times. Great hotel. The spa and pool are lovely. The beach is fantastic for long walks. Great service and ameneties. Lovely shops. The neighbourhood is fantastic for window shopping or dining off the property. The rooms have an older feel but that is the charm. They are well maintained. Will go back again and again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for the wonderful review. We are so happy that you have enjoyed all the services and amenities The Del has to offer and the charming village of Coronado. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
luxembourg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

The Hotel Del is a paradise on earth. This is the second time we spend our wedding anniversary with my husband (last year we received a bottle of wine and not this year, but ok...). The surroundings, the building, the staff, ths shops: perfect.

Last year we had a dinner at 1500 Ocean restaurant and it was delicious. My husband and I love to go to good restaurants (my husband was born in paris, so he loves good food !) and the food was excellent and imaginative. This year we were so excited to discover the new chef's cuisine and... it was so disapointing !
The entree proposed a paté, a baby ettuce salad or a melon soup. You never find this in a gastronomic restaurant. Too simple ! My husband took the paté and it had the taste of every patés you find in normal restaurants in Europe. I took the baby lettuce. When it arrived, it was a salad mesclun (a mix of different salads) with... nothing. This looked like a side salad but was the taste amazing ? NO ! I could not taste the lavender or the cherry in it. Just a tiny salad on a plate, no decoration, no special taste, nothing special.
The fish afterwards was good but with no imagination. In gastronomic restaurants, tiny portions are justified either by a rare product (truffle, caviar...) or by a special know how. A chef CANNOT serve tiny portion when it is just... good. No. The dessert was ok but no surprise.
This new chef has to know that he must not propose a baby lettuce when it is NOT a baby lettuce and he must not put a few salad leaves on a plate and pretend this is gastronomic. I had fine dinner in Spain several times and believe me, it is not like this. Americans have fine cuisine and good taste and they know how to appreciate good cuisine and they do not deserve this.
On the other hand we went to Sheerwater too and... THIS retaurant was gastronomic, not casual ! The scallops with truffle juice were just a paradise and very similar to what you find in other gastronomic restaurant around the world. So save your money and go to sheerwater. Avoid restaurant 1500 Ocean...

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent dining experience in 1500 OCEAN. Our culinary team strives to create and serve extraordinary dishes and it seems we have fallen short. We are sorry for this and will be further sharing your review with the appropriate managers to ensure there issues are addressed and improved upon. Thank you again.
Miami Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

I stayed in one of the towers on the ground floor for part of my trip and then upgraded to a room with a beach view in the main building. The ground floor room have no view, but the room was larger than the more expensive room in the main building with a great ocean view.

Say what you will about the smallish rooms and old feel to the hotel. Some will find it charming, others will find it overpriced and overhyped. But the atmosphere of the resort is fantastic and the service is as well.

I stayed at the Del for a meeting in September. The power went out in most of San Diego including Coronado. The staff at the resort grilled for all the guests on the lawn by the beach at no charge. The power was still out after dinner and hotel staff were standing by the entrances checking room keys and working security. Many of them stayed on all night doing this and I am told worked the next day.

Overall, I give this hotel 4 stars. It is a 3 star hotel in probably one of the best locations in the world with 5 star service. It is overpriced for what it is. They charge 7 star prices but I wouldn't put this hotel in that category. Still I had a great time staying at the Del and would return again at the negotiated price for the meeting.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
BBrown3275, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, October 3, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay at The Del with us. We appreciate you taking notice of our excellent staff and their above and beyond effort during the emergency power outage. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!