“Wonderful stay on Corondado” 4 of 5 stars

Crown City Inn
520 Orange Ave., Coronado, CA 92118   |
Ranked #6 of 18 hotels in Coronado
Syracuse, NY
“Wonderful stay on Corondado”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

We stayed the week of January 18th; wonderful staff, very helpful! The small touches are what sets this small property apart: the tea/coffee/homemade cookies every afternoon, the bikes for free use, the nice choice of soaps in the room; towels on the lounges around the pool, clean easy to use washer/dryer area, beautiful landscaping. Our room was completely renovated with a new shower/bathroom- a big surprise. Easy to walk to everything- the main square is 1/2 mile away, an easy walk with many choices for breakfast. The Bistro attached was overpriced compared to everything else in Coronado; for a simple breakfast there is a Panera or Claytons Coffee shop in the square; try Tent City for a fantastic breakfast that has 5 star quality. Definitely the best choice in town for a small hotel! Don't miss picking shells at low tide on the Strand or walking on Dog Beach.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
melissawm, Owner at Crown City Inn, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Thanks so much for your review. It's nice for us to hear what you like, and we appreciate you're being specific so other potential guests know too. We hope to see you again sometime soon!

104 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Washington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

We stayed here this week (last week of December, 2013) and had a marvelous time. The reviews are accurate: clean rooms (with local coffee, tea, and hot chocolate), refrigerator, microwave, iced tea and cookies in the lobby in the afternoon, coffee 24/7. The bathroom in our room had been redone and was great (slate tile, etc.). We borrowed bikes and rode the Coronado bike trail for a couple of hours. It's ~1/2 mile to all the shops/restaurants on Orange St. but an easy, easy walk. Free parking, free wifi, comfortable beds. It's not a resort, so if that's what you want, I'd go somewhere else. But I would head back in a heartbeat!

p.s. Crown City bistro (attached to the inn) is excellent! We had one of the best breakfasts I've had in recent memory (and I'm sort of a food snob).

Room Tip: My sense is that they are all good, but if you're a super light sleeper ask for a room away fro...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
melissawm, Owner at Crown City Inn, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Happy New Year! I'm so glad you were able to stay with us on your vacation, and very glad you enjoyed what we have to offer. Your comment about Crown City Inn not being a fancy resort is correct--we are small, simple, clean, affordable. I hope to see you again soon.
Cave Creek, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

On our recent Christmas vacation, we just couldn't bear to leave. Fortunately for us, the Crown City Inn happily accommodated us AND our fur kids for the night. Although the rooms are small, they are very clear and comfy with nice extras like a microwave and refrigerator, plus FREE parking! That's a biggie on Coronado. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will happily go back the next chance we have.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
melissawm, Owner at Crown City Inn, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
It was beautiful weather this year over the holidays! I'm so glad you were able to stay longer, and enjoy your holiday. Thanks for the kind review, and I'm hoping to see you sometime soon--maybe when the weather starts heating up in the desert....
Merrill, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Close to shopping, free parking, free wifi, updated bathrooms, great showers, refrigerator and microwave. Great Bistro attached, easy walk to pubs, shopping and easy to locate on Orange Ave. Free resident bike loaners.

Room Tip: Didn't ask for fitness center or Spa, do not know if they have one. Not needed as the weather al...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
melissawm, Manager at Crown City Inn, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
I appreciate your having taken the time to write a review and a detailed one at that! To answer your question about whether we have a fitness room/spa; unfortunately we do not. However, we have complimentary day passes for our guests to use at the local gym 5 blocks away.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

This is more of an roadside Inn, think of motor lodges from the seventies. The rooms are clean , bathrooms remodeled, and the staff is genuinely pleasant and helpful. For the price and the fac it's pet friendly The Crown City is a deal.

There's a park just one block from the hotel, perfect for puppy walks and a Starbucks within walking distance. Our second morning we tried the lobby coffee, a pleasant surprise the lobby coffee was good and complimentary!

Room Tip: I'd pick an upstairs room in the back. The street noise can be loud at times
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
melissawm, Owner at Crown City Inn, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Thank you for your very specific review. I'm glad you were happy with our Inn. I'm really glad you mentioned the coffee because bad hotel coffee is one of my biggest pet-peaves when travelling. I don't know if you noticed, but the same coffee is in each room with a small coffee maker. I hope to see you again sometime soon.
Sunnyvale, California, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

This small hotel is affordable as compared to most accommodation in Coronado. I have stayed there four times in the last year and have always looked forward to dining at there Bistro. Love the homemade preserves! Breakfast there has always been one of my favorites. They have daily specials and that have seafood, which is a favorite of mine. Friendly staff also adds to the experience.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
melissawm, Owner at Crown City Inn, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Thanks so much for the kind review and for staying with us repeatedly last year. That's a great compliment that you'd return to us with all the choices in Coronado. And no, having the Bistro here doesn't hurt either. I love the preserved too, and get somewhat addicted to it, so have to stay away from it usually. Hope to see you again soon!
Forest Hills, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

This is a nice motel directly on Orange Avenue. This location makes it a bit noisy, with the traffic going by, and you'll probably want to keep the windows closed most of the time. That's the single biggest drawback.

Most of the rooms that I saw are 'average' (I remember seeing one room that was really nice, but the others were more simple), but I don't mean this in a bad way. It's not 'opulent', some of the furniture is dated and the views from the window are not 'scenic'. But there's nothing wrong with anything (other than the noise). And the value (at least during the off season) is excellent. And 'average' rooms at an excellent price were exactly what I was looking for. I meant to spend my time at the beach or walking around Coronado, not in my room.

The pool is, in my opinion, too small to be useful - but why would you use a pool in Coronado?

The most important fact is that it's about a 15 minute walk (3/4 of a mile?) to the beach and an 8 minute walk to the ferry landing. Some people might prefer to be closer to the beach, but I actually liked the idea of having a bit of a walk. Having the option to walk in either direction is a nice feature - I preferred eating closer to the ferry landing side of the island, which was less touristy and quieter. And there's a nice bistro right next to the hotel, which is very convenient.

The people at the desk are incredibly nice. Probably the best I've ever worked with anywhere. They help out with everything, and they were the high point of my stay at the hotel. (Well, of course, the high point was the beach.)

I plan to stay here again on future visits to Coronado.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
melissawm, Owner at Crown City Inn, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Thanks for reviewing your stay with us. What you said was correct; we are not a fancy hotel. We are clean, simple, affordable. We are constantly updating the property all the time, but cannot do it all at once, and this is one way we are able to keep the prices on the lower side. It sounds like you were happy with what we've done so far, and I too am wishing for that new furniture soon!
Melissa

Been to Crown City Inn? Share your experiences!