“Nice friendly place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 18 hotels in Coronado
Gland, Switzerland
“Nice friendly place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Nice friendly place at reasonable rates for Coronado. Super decoration in the bathroom. Room smalla nd standard but very confortable. Micro wave and hot water and fridge- so helps for making small meals also. Free cookies in the lodge !

Room Tip: rooms on the first flooor are best. Limited parking space but lots of space on the road next to the...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
melissawm, Owner at Crown City Inn, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thanks so much for your nice comments. We hope to see you again sometime soon!

105 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Steubenville, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I traveled to Coronado as part of a navy reunion and decided to revisit this fine, well located, small hotel. The meals served in the Bistro were excellent, as were all the overall services. The rooms are well appointed but not overdone. The staff members were extremely kind, courteous, and often really helpful. Additionally, there is a VFW across the street where one can quench one's thirst relatively cheaply. Because I had to leave extremely early on Monday morning, they made sure that I was checked out properly on Sunday night. At 5 am, the airport is only a 15 minute taxi ride. If I ever return to Coronado/San Diego again, I will most certainly stay at the Crown City Inn. For me, it's my home away from home.

Room Tip: If you are a smoker, ask for room 114; otherwise you can't light up.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
melissawm, Owner at Crown City Inn, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
I'm so glad you had a good time at the Crown City Inn. What a great group of people you had for your reunion. All my staff commented on how nice and how fun you all were. I'm very happy to hear that you were happy with our services too! I'm hoping you'll come back soon, reunion or not.
Melissa
Newport Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Crown City Inn is a fabulous choice, in a stellar location at a very convenient price. I can't count the number of times I've stayed at CCI. From weekends w/girlfriends, a night away w/the husband or on family trips, CCI is always my go-to spot. Prices are some of the best on the island. The little cafe downstairs is great for a quick nibble or glass of vino before you head out. They offer bikes for rent, FOR FREE, so anyone looking to park the car for the weekend, and cruise the island, CCi is a great option.

Over the years they've kept things up pretty well, though the last time we stayed (March 2013) I thought the beds could use some upgrading.

Front office staff tends to be pretty friendly. Only once (2010) did we encounter a fairly rude individual. We chalked it up to the fact that we had a large group (15 of us) all checking in at the same time and didn't let it ruin our weekend.

CCI is close to either side of Coronado Island so whether headed to The Del or if you are wanting to take the ferry to downtown San Diego, CCI offers a very convenient location.

If you are looking for The Ritz! This is not your place. Though if you enjoy charm and convenience, you've found a great spot.

We go back year after year and will continue to do so as long as they continue to offer a low cost, convenient spot for us to drop our belongings and enjoy Coronado.

Room Tip: Room above the pool is the best. Room above the cafe also super cute.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
melissawm, Owner at Crown City Inn, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
I'm glad you took the time to review us, and to be specific about what you've liked/disliked. I will look into the mattresses to see if it's time to renew. Some say they're great, so I need to figure out a "happy medium." You described us well with "not the Ritz....low cost, convenient spot." I hope to see you on your next stay with us!
Melissa
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

We've stayed here numerous times in one of the pet friendly rooms. We've unfortunately had room 112 twice. It's right next to the maids station and they start at 8am screaming and hollering and don't stop until 3pm. If you want to relax and enjoy your vacation, don't stay in this room, you will be highly disappointed. We tip very handsomely and even that didn't motivate them to clean our room one day, and since we had dogs we couldn't pop out of the room for them to clean it (even though we told them we were leaving and asked nicely for them to clean it), we were stuck with dirty towels and full garbage cans. Some of the maids are very rude also. Went to their restaurant at 12:30pm and all they were serving was breakfast! Something about the breakfast rush, they couldn't make lunches. Really? We ordered room service the first night and the tip was included on the bill, but they didn't tell us that. We started to give another $10 tip before we noticed it was on the bill, the the food deliverer was going to take it without telling us. This place is going downhill

Room Tip: Do not get room 112
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
melissawm, Owner at Crown City Inn, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thanks so much for all your feedback, though I'm very unhappy there was so much you were displeased with about us. Room 112 is next to our housekeeping room, and I apologize if housekeeping was loud and/or rude. I do have to remind them sometimes that people are still sleeping, even though they are up working. I have never had anyone tell me our housekeepers were rude; the complete opposite actually. I very much welcome you contacting me directly, so I may understand the situation and take care of it with the appropriate person. My email is melissa@crowncityinn.com. I hope it was a misunderstanding via a possible language barrier, but either way, I'd like to know what happened specifically. Our Bistro is very popular for the breakfast crowd locally. Regarding the Bistro: I will verify the 10% tip addition--The Bistro is a separate owner from the hotel, and if they are charging a service charge, I need to know & make sure my guests are aware of it. Because it is extremely busy for breakfast on the weekends, they limit their service to breakfast only on Saturdays and Sundays. I apologize if you didn't know that going in.
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Quiet, immaculately clean, it could use a pinch of a make-over to give the rooms a bit of charm. Its courtyard has space for about 10 cars; after that, it's the street - but a nice street. The room's mini-refrigerator had to be turned off; it chugged and kept us awake.

The bistro on site serves a prime and reasonably priced breakfast. Unless one is able
to tolerate highly salty, spiced dishes, avoid the huevos rancheros.

To those driving to Coronado for the first time: you'll be crossing a spectacular bridge
over the bay - steep and curvy. If you're a first-timer on the bridge, drive it in daylight. It's
not hazardous, only different.

Room Tip: Unnecessary. It's a small establishment and all its rooms are equal.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
melissawm, Owner at Crown City Inn, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
I very much appreciate your comments about the Crown City Inn. Hopefully you were told this, but we do have another parking lot that runs along the full length of the back of the Inn. I hope you didn't have trouble parking....
I will look into the refrigerator noise in all of the rooms. This is a very important comment! It is difficult to know about this unless one is staying in the room.
Hope to see you again sometime!
Rotherham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We wanted a hotel/Inn near the beach in the SanDiego area. We found this Inn on the internet and from the reviews we read we booked it. We were more than happy with the Inn when we got there. Coronado is about 15 mins. away from San Diego town so you can get into town and explore without ant trouble.
Coronado is a good place for the beach and plenty of eating houses to choose from to eat.
The inn has a Bistro attached which is ideal for breakfast/lunch and evening meals but it closes at 21.00.
The Inn has a small pool which is kept clean and tidy and very good for children. You can get coffee 24 hrs a day at reception and home made cookies in a afternoon.
The staff were all friendly and very helpful with any information we needed to know.
the room we had was clean and fresh with a large shower in the bathroom.
If you want to be in this area I would recommend this Inn as a first choice. I would book this Inn again if I am in the area again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
melissawm, Owner at Crown City Inn, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review. As you know, the review process is important to both the hotels and other travelers. I'm very pleased to hear you had so many nice comments to mention about us, and I hope that we will see you again very soon.
Idaho Falls, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The staff is wonderful and the location is perfect. The rooms are very cute and comfortable.The price is unbeatable anywhere on the island. I stay here every trip to Coronado and recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
melissawm, Owner at Crown City Inn, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thanks "IFmom" for the nice review. We are so happy you stay with us on a repeat basis, and look forward to the next time!

Been to Crown City Inn? Share your experiences!