The Beach Village at the Del is the more upscale, modern and luxurious section of the Hotel del Coronado. I booked at the Beach Village after looking online at the rather ordinary and small rooms and suites in the main historic building. This is to be forgiven as most historic hotels have very small rooms and suites.
We had a ground floor Beach Village "cottage" directly on the beachfront (separated by a walking path and fence) for approximately $1,500 per night. I have no problem spending $1,500 per night if the room is flawless and has the commiserate service to create value for money spent. Unfortunately in the case of the Beach Village it simply didn't deliver.
The good to bad:
1.) Location is superb if you're looking for an urban beach holiday. Excellent beachfront location in a very pleasant part of San Diego. As a tourist it was wonderful but I wouldn't choose it for business unless the meeting was at the Del.
2.) Our beachfront cottage was bright and sunny but not spacious. The small bedroom was separated from the living room by sliding pocket doors. The living room / dining room were together and very cramped. The sofa and furniture were truly horrible; there wasn't a comfortable chair to sit on in the entire cottage! For $1,500 per night I expect good quality and comfortable furniture!
The only decent chairs were the chaise lounges on the patio. The patio was wonderful with a fire pit. However the ground floor beachfront cottages are not private. Thousands of pedestrians are passing by on the walking path at all hours and many were gawkers. There was NO privacy.
The cottage did not have a work desk which was very irritating. Overall the cottage is far TOO SMALL and not well appointed enough to justify the $1,500 nightly price tag.
3.) Housekeeping was mediocre. The room was very dusty but after making a call they quickly rectified the problems and gave the room a deep clean. However I expect the room to be impeccably cleaned prior to my check-in, not afterwards.
4.) Pool area is separate at the Beach Village. It was pleasant but nothing exceptional. However it was much more peaceful and less crowded than the main Hotel Del pool. Drinks service was quick with friendly servers.
5.) Valet and bell service at the Beach Village were 5 star top quality. Quick, efficient and very friendly.
6.) Dining was horrible. We had a very poor dinner at the historic cottage which also serves as the reception for the Beach Village. Mediocre food and slow service. Understaffing was evident.
7.) The breakfast buffet at the main Hotel Del was a joke. Very long waits and guests being given PAGERS for a breakfast buffet!! And all of this while entire sections of the buffet dining room were closed off due to inadequate staffing levels. When asked why empty tables weren't being seated the hostess blatantly lied and said "there are reservations for those tables".
Excuse me? Reservations for a breakfast buffet? I was there for two hours and never noticed the supposed reservations showing up and occupying those tables. Nor did I see staff to attend the section.
In summary I would never return to the Beach Village at the Del nor the Hotel Del Coronado. There are better places to splurge.
- Also Known As:
- Beach Village At The Del Hotel
- Beach Village At The Del Hotel Coronado
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An exclusive oceanfront enclave of one, two and three bedroom luxury cottages and villas within the iconic setting of the legendary Hotel del Coronado. Units feature spacious dining and living great rooms with cozy fireplaces, and gourmet kitchens. All guests receive amenities such as complimentary breakfast at Windsor Club Cottage, private concierge service, upgraded in-room dining options and much more. With exceptional accommodations, unmatched amenities and gracious service, this island retreat reinvents the resort's timeless charm for the 21st century and takes the quintessential beach lifestyle to a new level of sophistication. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelsClick and Orbitz so you can book your Beach Village at The Del reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.