“Beautiful location on the beach” 3 of 5 stars

Beach Village at The Del
1500 Orange Avenue, Hotel del Coronado, Coronado, CA 92118   |
Ranked #4 of 18 hotels in Coronado
Davis, CA
“Beautiful location on the beach”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Every time we come to San Diego we always stay in Coronado because of the beach. Staying at the beach villas you can't do better for location. The views are magnificent. The villas are beautiful and well equipped but some funny design faults. We had the middle suite with a full kitchen but the closet space is no bigger than a small coat closet. No place to store luggage after you unpack so you have to see it your whole stay. A huge safe takes space in the closet so your dresses cannot hang properly. The rooms are very expensive but I did not get what I ordered or was promised. I asked for a downstairs suite with the fire pit lit each night but when I got there I was put on the upstairs and was told I did not pay for the fire pit. They went to check the notes in my reservation and saw that I had ordered this but they said they could not accommodate me as they were full. They offered to give us a fire on the beach for one night of our stay. I did not think this was good enough. They should of offered the fire pit for free on our next stay or given us some free services or a discount off the room.

Please do not get me wrong. This is a beautiful place. However, when you pay $1400.00 a night for a room you expect to get what you ordered. Checking in just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Making reservations are a bit screwed up because I tried to also book 6 rooms in January and I was told they were completely sold out. Stephanie from concierge called me to see if I would like to make some reservations for dinner and I asked her to check for January to see if any rooms had opened up and they were completely wide open. Stephanie was able to get a entire villa for us and also arranged for a private chef for one night to do a clambake on the beach for us. Stephanie was fantastic but I learned to book directly with Beach Villas and not the hotel.

You cannot beat the location and view but disappointed in service.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

102 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Coronado, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

My best friend and I had a girl's getaway here. Coronado is our hometown and we KNOW the Hotel Del in and out. The Beach Village is the most wonderful place. We had a 3 BR condo with kitchen and everything you can imagine. On our giant patio were 2 soaking tubs and a fire pit. We looked right out onto the beach and could watch all the action on the boardwalk and beach. Great sunsets and sunrises of course. The service and amenities are world class. Breakfast was in the cottage next door each morning with many yummy choices. Eggs, bacon, sausage, fruit, breakfast rolls, toast, bagels etc. Coffee and juices too of course. We relaxed, ordered room service, had some spa services, relaxed some more, shopped. The Beach Village is by far THE nicest place in The Hotel Del. You pay for it, but some things are just worth it!

Room Tip: At The Beach Village there is no bad location
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

When my husband and I arrived at the special entrance to The Beach Village we were blown away. The staff immediately had someone escort us to the concierge. The gentleman gave us short tour and then proceeded to take us to our room. We were the last unit top floor down and it was AMAZING! Since this was just a trip for hubby and me and not with our kids it was perfect! We were next door to the adult pool and spa. Very convenient! It was away from the kiddie pool and the screaming children. The breakfast every morning (which is included in your stay) was really good. The only thing I would suggest is to change it up some mornings. Every morning the exact same thing can be boring. There is a special place on the beach reserved only for the Beach Village guests. It was lovely and the staff gave us special attention. Our favorite night was at their restaurant, 1500. I can just say the food was out of this world and the staff was very attentive to your every need. We stayed 5 day, 4 nights and I was totally relaxed at the end of the stay. The only negative I can say was there was not enough closet space. We were on a 9 day vacation and had quite of few hang up clothes to hang. We had to get the staff to bring up a rolling rack to place the rest of our clothes on. Of course it's pricey but I always say, "You get what you pay for."

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
James H, General Manager at Beach Village at The Del, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Thank you for sharing your Beach Village at The Del experience. We are happy we provided the relaxing and luxurious environtment you. Thank you for choosing to stay for half of your 9 day retreat. From the team at Spa at The Del, 1500 Ocean and the entire Beach Village team, we hope to see you again soon. Autumn is a great time to visit Coronado and the holidays are just around the corner. For us, that means the ice skating rink is just a couple months away. We invite you to return to enjoy skating on America's Best Beach.
California City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

This was our third stay at the Hotel Del and our first at the Beach Villages. I would say the experience at the villages was much better than at the hotel. The cottages are newer and offer more privacy than the rooms at the hotel. We found the service to be exceptional and we always felt taken care of. The breakfast buffet was included with our village stay and was always fresh with a pretty good selection of breakfast offerings. The village pool was very quiet and again offered great service. As a beach village guest you also get complimentary beach towels, chairs, and umbrellas set up on the beach for you. This was a really nice perk we took full advantage of.
We did the s'mores on the beach bonfire with friends one night during our stay and I would highy recommend that. The hotel had a kids club with a variety of activites daily. My kids made sand keychains and really seemed to enjoy the time they spent in the club. The villages are significantly more expensive in comparison to the hotel but they offer specials periodically which makes staying there more reasonable. I would recommend the villages, especially for families looking for the perfect summer get away.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
James H, General Manager at Beach Village at The Del, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
Thank you for choosing Beach Village at The Del! We are thrilled to read that your stay was as perfect as we intended it to be. During your stay, your family experienced many of our signature amenities and services, including our Beach valet, private bonfire with s'mores, exclusive pools and our daily breakfast at Windsor Cottage. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon to repeat another perfect summer (or fall, winter, and spring) retreat on America's Best Beach (2012, Dr. Beach).
Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

My wife and 2 year old kid had an excellent stay at Beach Village (BV) from December 29 - January 7th for our second week in San Diego/Coronado Island. We stayed in room 2218. We loved the Beach Village so much we added two days to our stay! Excellent service from all the staff, definately 5 star.

We actually booked a room at the Del, but checkin was a nightmare so I walked over to the Beach Village to see what they had available. I ran into the house keeping manager and he actually canceled our Del reservation and booked our Beach Village room onsite as a walkup - $700 a night. You have access to all the facilities at the Del, but the Del people do not have access to BV.

One thing is that daily full breakfast is included at The Windsor House with your Beach Village stay.

If you stay on Coronado, this is the place to stay. I had originally booked the Loews but switched to the Beach Village/Del since the BV is directly on the beach, and the Loews is not.

Room - we really liked having an ice maker in the room, flip a switch instant on fireplace, large patio to watch the sunset and the extra large deep bathtub for soaking and relaxing.

Two minor issues - our room keys did not work on the gates to return from the beach on beach walkway into the BV, frustrating. The room shades had Roman window blinds with visible cords which are dangerous for little kids and should be replaced with safer window coverings immediately - I did write the manager directly on this and the cost is minimal.

All in all we had an excellent stay and was the perfect place to celebrate my wedding anniversary with my wife and toddler. Many thanks to Gabriel for help setting up a dinner on our balcony and the gift of champagne for our special event. Also to the staff for providing beach toys for our kid during our stay.

Room Tip: As for a room with a DVD player. Second floor room with direct view of the private pool means you ha...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
We are thrilled to learn that you enjoyed your Beach Village experience. With the intent of setting us apart for other properties in the San Diego area, we strive to provide amenties and services that compare to our worldclass location on America's Best Beach. Though we regret the main hotel did not meet your expectations, we appreciate you giving Beach Village an opportunity to retain your business. We also apologize your room keys caused some frustration. Thank you for choosing Beach Village at The Del and hope to welcome you back holiday season!
Potomac, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

We have been to the Beach Village at Hotel Del twice (August 2008 and August 2010). LOVED it both times. Rooms are spacious and there are some unique offerings (fire pits, hot tubs...). Service is quite good (actually improved between 2008 and 2010). Beach is absolutely awesome. Beach Village family pool and cabanas are tons of fun. Spa is also very lovely -- perfect for a beach resort. All in all, couldn't be much better. We will return again soon!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
miami beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

My wife and children and I stayed in a "Cottage" directly on the beach! The exclusive commune of villas and cottages in the Beach Village next to the main hotel is the place to be. We were here last year too and we are now thinking of making this an annual trip. The beach is huge and a lot of fun. the gated Beach Village has its own large pool and several smaller hot tubs reserved for you away from the general hotel guests, so its not crowded. Plus cabanas (for a little extra). We had access to a semi-private Windor Cottage where they served village guests a free breakfast and to pay for food and beverages in front of a fire pit and couch with blankets. Service staff were great and attentive. We had our own private hot tub directly outside our door over looking the beach. Kids were in it several times per day. Lots of fun activities. Hotel even set up Smores on the beach with our own campfire and beach chairs. Was a blast!

Room Tip: The Cottages are a bit closer to the beach than the villas behind them. Second floor rooms have a h...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Beach Village at The Del? Share your experiences!