“Depends Upon Your Expectations” 3 of 5 stars

The Village Inn Coronado
1017 Park Place, At Orange Ave., Coronado, CA 92118   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Coronado B&B and Inns
San Diego
“Depends Upon Your Expectations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

This hotel is comparatively reasonable and well located near the beach, Hotel Del Coronado, and several restaurants. I like quaint older hotels but this one is run down. The room was clean but not the stairs. So it could work for you if your expectations aren't too high. I liked El Cordova Hotel across the street much better. The rooms have ceiling fans instead of air conditioning.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

32 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Saint Albans, Vermont
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

My sister and I stayed here for two nights on a trip to surprise our other sister for her birthday. It had been recommended by my niece so we didn't look it up for reviews. The plusses were the location (in walking distance of downtown, the beach and the Hotel Del Coronado) and the price. The minuses - and there were many - the filthy carpets, the mold in the bathrooms, the uncomfortable beds - I think very old box springs, in phone that didn't work, no wi-fi. The elevator was an original and worked fine for us and the continental breakfast was canned juice, small individually wrapped muffins, coffee and tea and fruit and was acceptable. The desk person was very personable and accommodating and lent her personal hair dryer to my sister. Probably wouldn't stay here again, though. Parking is street only with lots of meters and regulations or a longer walk, which was also a problem.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel, even if you have to pay more. If you have to stay here, ask for a room on t...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

My husband and I always stayed at this one time quaint and charming Inn. (not in the last 8 years) I guess nothing good lasts forever! This once well cared for Inn is no longer just that. The bedding is poor, holes in the sheet trim, etc.: Towels are in shambles, worn and raggedy. The carpet was filthy and only swept once in four days. Window treatments are falling off the windows and very old. What on earth has happened to this once European flavored best kept secret? Aside from an inexpensive price and great location it is a good place to run from. I had recommended it to a friend and apologize for the same!
Disappointed

Room Tip: I would not know how to be helpful after my recent experience
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Victoria, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

I've just spent three nights here with a friend. We were attracted by the website and the reasonable rates.

We inspected it quickly before we committed to the stay. It seemed quirky, but acceptable.

It was only after we booked in that we noticed how sloppy the housekeeping was. Dust on the TV screen, stained, dirty carpet, uncatalogued life forms between the night stand and the beds.

The bedding was spectacularly ugly, the beds soft and creaky.

We spoke to the manager about the filth at the first opportunity, and he reacted as though he didn't quite comprehend. However, he did clean the room and after a couple of days the place seemed somewhat homey in a deprived sort of way...rather like staying in a cheap hotel in a bombed - out town in Italy in 1945.

The breakfast was an adequate continental- type of effort delivered to the rather weird and run-down kitchen at 8 each morning. Half the burners on the gas stove were inoperative. The toaster had to be held down. The microwave worked perfectly.

The "library" referred to on the website was hilarious, and likely a health hazard. Many of the books were so grubby one was loath to pick them up....rather as though they had been unearthed at the city dump and brought back to the inn.

On the positive side, the place seemed really safe, in spite of no discernible security, and a bathroom-type lock on the room door.We left the room door ajar most of the time. One can get free wi-fi by sitting outside on the tiny deck on the third floor.

We spoke to a regular guest there. We asked if the place had perhaps run down a bit in past few years. He said not...it's about the same as ever. He said, in fact, that he hoped they didn't clean it up too much for fear the place would become somewhat desirable and thus more expensive.

Would we return? Likely not, except in a pinch. The website is pure and exceptional fantasy, bearing scant resemblance to reality.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
sonoma, ca
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

I went with my best travel buddy....we have stayed at 2-3 star hotels in Europe and expected same from here. My friend has stayed here for years in past but not recently (last 10 yrs) I will take her word that it was once charming. Now....just a dirty property with uninterested staff. Requests like extra sheet, hair dryer and even breakfast were ignored. It is well located but probably so is local hostel.
We will not return. I have worked in the industry for 30 years, am now retired and consult with properties trying to change demographic, etc...this one needs some staff customer service training and professional cleaning. The overhead fan looks like it has not been dusted since 2000 if then. The group kitchen was smelly and gross when we arrived and we spent a hour cleaning as our room was across hall and we could smell it when our door was open. We made the coffee every morning as it was never made and breakfast was never served at scheduled time. Usually 30 minutes late. Elevator is iffy and did not run on regular basis, use at own peril.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Mesa, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

I have stayed at this property for more than 20 years, but, not in the last 8+ years. What used to be a quaint, modest European type B&B is now a shabby, dirty, smelly place! Although the location is perfect, the floors are filthy as is the communal kitchen. I cleaned out the communal refrigerator which had milk over a month old. It also had leftovers that were growing mold. There is NO way that cleaning staff could have missed the smell in the kitchen. Complimentary breakfast never arrived on time. It was 1/2 hour late on two days and we had to wake someone up on our last day to get it. in time to meet our cab. Coffe was never made. I found the supplies and made it myself for all 4 days of my stay. Housekeeping staff agreed to loan me a hairdryer. It wasn't in my room when I arrived at 7pm as promised and there was nobody around to ask. The drapes haven't been washed in ages..no telling about comforters. I have been itching since I left and have come home and sprayed my suitcase and bed with bed bug spray and washed anything that was in my suicase. I am so disappointed. This place used to be very modest, but clean and well kept. Not anymore. The whole place screams neglect. If they had people managing the place who cared it would help..that and a little elbow grease and perhaps a full restoration of this historic property could take place. And don't look in the backyard..it's loaded with junk. Really sad. My days at the Coronado Village Inn are OVER! I have to wonder if the owner knows how this place has fallen apart. I would love to own this property and restore it!

Room Tip: Take bed bug spray, bring a hairdryer, make sure you have flip flops to wear. Actually<,stay some...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2011

I enjoyed my stay in Coronado - partially because of this place. Close to beach, Hotel del Coronado, downtown and restaurants. Basic coffee kitchen 'bed and breakfast' food in the morning. Liked the front hallway sitting area.

However, there is no air conditioning. Got hot one of the days. Nice airflow though. Parking is spotty. Needs internet connectivity.

Quiet location off a half block off the main drag. No traffic noise.

Room Tip: Quiet locale, comfortable
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Village Inn Coronado? Share your experiences!