“An Insult to Guests” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Coronado B&B and Inns
Victoria, Canada
“An Insult to Guests”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

I've just spent three nights here with a friend. We were attracted by the website and the reasonable rates.

We inspected it quickly before we committed to the stay. It seemed quirky, but acceptable.

It was only after we booked in that we noticed how sloppy the housekeeping was. Dust on the TV screen, stained, dirty carpet, uncatalogued life forms between the night stand and the beds.

The bedding was spectacularly ugly, the beds soft and creaky.

We spoke to the manager about the filth at the first opportunity, and he reacted as though he didn't quite comprehend. However, he did clean the room and after a couple of days the place seemed somewhat homey in a deprived sort of way...rather like staying in a cheap hotel in a bombed - out town in Italy in 1945.

The breakfast was an adequate continental- type of effort delivered to the rather weird and run-down kitchen at 8 each morning. Half the burners on the gas stove were inoperative. The toaster had to be held down. The microwave worked perfectly.

The "library" referred to on the website was hilarious, and likely a health hazard. Many of the books were so grubby one was loath to pick them up....rather as though they had been unearthed at the city dump and brought back to the inn.

On the positive side, the place seemed really safe, in spite of no discernible security, and a bathroom-type lock on the room door.We left the room door ajar most of the time. One can get free wi-fi by sitting outside on the tiny deck on the third floor.

We spoke to a regular guest there. We asked if the place had perhaps run down a bit in past few years. He said not...it's about the same as ever. He said, in fact, that he hoped they didn't clean it up too much for fear the place would become somewhat desirable and thus more expensive.

Would we return? Likely not, except in a pinch. The website is pure and exceptional fantasy, bearing scant resemblance to reality.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

32 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
sonoma, ca
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

I went with my best travel buddy....we have stayed at 2-3 star hotels in Europe and expected same from here. My friend has stayed here for years in past but not recently (last 10 yrs) I will take her word that it was once charming. Now....just a dirty property with uninterested staff. Requests like extra sheet, hair dryer and even breakfast were ignored. It is well located but probably so is local hostel.
We will not return. I have worked in the industry for 30 years, am now retired and consult with properties trying to change demographic, etc...this one needs some staff customer service training and professional cleaning. The overhead fan looks like it has not been dusted since 2000 if then. The group kitchen was smelly and gross when we arrived and we spent a hour cleaning as our room was across hall and we could smell it when our door was open. We made the coffee every morning as it was never made and breakfast was never served at scheduled time. Usually 30 minutes late. Elevator is iffy and did not run on regular basis, use at own peril.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Mesa, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

I have stayed at this property for more than 20 years, but, not in the last 8+ years. What used to be a quaint, modest European type B&B is now a shabby, dirty, smelly place! Although the location is perfect, the floors are filthy as is the communal kitchen. I cleaned out the communal refrigerator which had milk over a month old. It also had leftovers that were growing mold. There is NO way that cleaning staff could have missed the smell in the kitchen. Complimentary breakfast never arrived on time. It was 1/2 hour late on two days and we had to wake someone up on our last day to get it. in time to meet our cab. Coffe was never made. I found the supplies and made it myself for all 4 days of my stay. Housekeeping staff agreed to loan me a hairdryer. It wasn't in my room when I arrived at 7pm as promised and there was nobody around to ask. The drapes haven't been washed in ages..no telling about comforters. I have been itching since I left and have come home and sprayed my suitcase and bed with bed bug spray and washed anything that was in my suicase. I am so disappointed. This place used to be very modest, but clean and well kept. Not anymore. The whole place screams neglect. If they had people managing the place who cared it would help..that and a little elbow grease and perhaps a full restoration of this historic property could take place. And don't look in the backyard..it's loaded with junk. Really sad. My days at the Coronado Village Inn are OVER! I have to wonder if the owner knows how this place has fallen apart. I would love to own this property and restore it!

Room Tip: Take bed bug spray, bring a hairdryer, make sure you have flip flops to wear. Actually<,stay some...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2011

I enjoyed my stay in Coronado - partially because of this place. Close to beach, Hotel del Coronado, downtown and restaurants. Basic coffee kitchen 'bed and breakfast' food in the morning. Liked the front hallway sitting area.

However, there is no air conditioning. Got hot one of the days. Nice airflow though. Parking is spotty. Needs internet connectivity.

Quiet location off a half block off the main drag. No traffic noise.

Room Tip: Quiet locale, comfortable
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2010

The location is great, but that's the end of it. The website boasts of things like "sunny windows", "luxury class" toiletries, "still-warm" breakfast muffins, and ceiling fans. The experience is quite different - good luck trying to sleep here. Since there is no A/C, you will most likely struggle between wanting to be cool (fan-on, windows open), and for it to be quiet (the ceiling fan makes a constant creaking noise). You will probably curse yourself at around 6.A.M. for forgetting to bring a sleeping mask when the sun shines through the old, ripped-up curtains to light up the room. As for that room-temp, cellophane-wrapped muffin, and disgusting coffee: not a chance. The whole experience is rounded-out by a number of strange, musty smells; dirty carpets; and creepy Raggedy Anne dolls.
When we cancelled the rest of our stay, the lack of any protest suggested this was not an uncommon occurence.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
West des Moines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

The bed was comfortable - sole positive experience. Shower failed to heated up. Furniture in the room had the feel of something picked off the curb from an eviction. TV had only local channels - no cable ! Liquor store across the street was handy. For $85 @ night........better than sleeping on the beach I suppose.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2010

I stayed here for seven nights. If you are a chain-hotel lover or require a lot of frills and attention, then this is not the hotel for you. But if you are looking for a charming inn-style experience with an amazing location and affordable price, I highly recommend The Village Inn.

The staff is very friendly and is very accomodating (they held my bags for free when I checked out and my plane didn't leave until that evening). The staff is also quite invisible...I went two days without seeing anyone, but when I returned each night to my room, my room was refreshed and fresh towels were in the bathroom. There is also a kitchen on the second floor and every morning there was hot coffee, warm muffins, fruit and juice.

The room itself had windows on two of the walls, so the room was light and airy. The poster bed added to the charm (although creaky) and there was a regular 27" television. The bathroom was very tiny (as in, if you sat on the toilet and are taller than six feet than your knees will hit the sink in front of you), but there was a jacuzzi tub which was nice to soak and relax in.

The location is one of the best in Coronado. The beach is a block and half away and you are half a block from Ocean Avenue (which contains all the shops and restaurants). The bus that takes you around Coronado is also right on the corner.

The Inn def. had its individual charm (including an old fashioned elevator), and its a great place for a romantic getaway. Yes, you may see some dust bunnies on top of the fan or in a corner, but the bedding, carpets and bathroom were all very clean. I felt like I was staying in someone's house and not just in some chain hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Village Inn Coronado? Share your experiences!