“Charming Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Coronado
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Charming Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I recently stayed for a long weekend while visiting my son, stationed on Coronado. The room was spacious, nicely decorated and clean. I appreciated having the small coffee maker in the room and was delighted that the windows opened! The front desk personnel were friendly and helpful and the couple who caters the continental breakfast were charming, friendly and efficient. My only suggestions would be: put a full length mirror in the room and offer a protein (maybe hard boiled eggs?) at the breakfast. I would definitely recommend this hotel and look forward to staying with them again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

The El Cardova is a nice place to stay in Coronado- it's nothing fancy, the beds are OK, nowhere near as nice as the surrounding hotels in the area, but it's a nice value for what you're paying for. But honestly- what (who) really stood out was Bass, the guy tending the breakfast buffet- he was OVER THE TOP nice, and so pleasant- he made me smile, which was hard to do since I was hurting from a wedding the night before. Thanks Bass for such a welcoming morning breakfast!

Room Tip: If you're just staying for the night and need a place to sleep- the economy rooms are night alth...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dayton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I paid more for this hotel than I have ever paid for any hotel in my life. I wanted to be close to Silver Strand beach, so I took the plunge.

The outside appearance of this hotel is very charming, and many of the rooms overlook a little courtyard area with small shops. The architecture and flowers made me feel like I was in Italy or Spain - very nice.

The hotel was only about 7 minutes from the beach, which was great. Sadly, it was too cold to swim when we were there in May, but we did collect some shells.

We stayed in a two-bedroom suite, which was very spacious. In addition to the two bedrooms, there was a living room, a kitchen, and (of course) a bathroom. It gave our family some room to spread out, which was great.

In the morning, we were awakened by A LOT of traffic noise, noise from people in the courtyard, and construction noise. That was quite disappointing. I would think that for all the money we paid, they could insulate their rooms from outside noise quite a bit better.

Other negatives: No mirror in the bedroom, no exhaust fan in the bathroom, bath/shower knobs were of a very strange configuration (again, I'm sure they could afford to fix these).

The rooms in this hotel are not all in one building. Upon our arrival, the man at the desk told us to go down the hall, outside and up some steps to get to our room. We walked out and thought, "HUH?" We were out in what looked like an alley, and we had no idea which buildings belonged to the hotel. It was a very confusing layout, and guests really should be shown to their rooms (especially in light of the high cost of the rooms)!

Breakfast was free and served in an outdoor courtyard. It was so pleasant to eat among all the flowers, including a giant bird-of-paradise flower near our table. The gentleman in charge of the breakfast area, Bass, was extremely friendly and did a great job.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
West Lafayette, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Unique place to stay.This place seems to be more fitting for couples looking for a nice get away that offers a great location and unique places to explore. Very friendly staff especially the gentleman serving breakfast. If you do not want what they serve the breakfast coupon can be used as a discount for crepes are a adjacent restaurant. Felt welcomed and recommend this place to friends visiting Coronado :).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
tucson, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

History and location, location location. We stay here every Coronado visit - We savor the personality of the historic building, love the courtyard, very good restaurants, cute and practical shops, small pool and perfect Jacuzzi and take full advantage of the fantastic beach 2 short blocks away - actually takes less time to get to the beach from El Cordova than from some parts of the Del :-) Of course we spend time enjoying the Del for lunch and sunset - again: location location.

Room Tip: re: upstairs rooms while charming require climbing steep steps.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Just stayed 4 nights with 2 kids in a 2 bedroom suite for Mother's day and my son's birthday and we had a great time. The property is older, but I think that actually added to the fun of our trip, I mean how many times have you seen a walk through closet. The beds were comfortable, the room was clean and there is even a decent kitchen. That part is a bonus for us with 2 kids. Bass always took care of us for the INCLUDED continental breakfast. And finally the location is perfect, and your not spending Del kind of money. We will stay there again.

Room Tip: Hotel has discounts for the San Diego Zoo and Sea World
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Phoenix
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed four nights in a one-bedroom suite at El Cordova for our anniversary. We enjoy staying in hotels with historic charm and while we enjoyed the courtyard and architecture of the hotel, we found the room to be lackluster with lower end finishes and not much left resembling historic details. The room was clean and functional with the exception of a somewhat awkward and small bathroom. I normally don’t mind a small bathroom, but the lack of exhaust fan and the fact that the door opened so that it blocked the vanity meant we had some steam issues while getting ready in the mornings.

I would highly recommend this location for a family trip, as the basic kitchen would make it possible to save money on meals. Having a bedroom plus sleeper sofa and two TVs would also add to family harmony I expect. The location was the biggest plus as it is across the street from the Del and beach.

The onsite restaurant Miguel’s was good if fairly standard Mexican fare. Our splurge meal was The Brigantine next door, which was excellent. The breakfast options are a slim looking complimentary continental breakfast in the courtyard or, our choice, to go to the creperie where we received $4 towards breakfast. We were satisfied with that option, as we prefer a hot meal in the morning.

The young lady at the front desk who helped us throughout our stay was very pleasant. However, she was clearly alone and twice we stood at the desk for 15 minutes while she was apparently on break with no one to cover for her. Another minor complaint is that the pool area and laundry area (where the ice machine is) close at 9 pm, which was a bit inconvenient for us.

Finally, the biggest issue for us was parking. We had to park a few blocks away every time, which is not a big deal in itself, but driving around hunting for parking is just annoying. I would have gladly paid a daily parking fee just so as not to hunt for parking and worry about feeding a meter. The parking garage might have been a better option if you were leaving your car all day but we came and went so it did not work for us.

Bottom line: For what we paid (650 for four nights including taxes and fees) I felt that it was a good value and I would highly recommend for a family trip or anyone who wants to save money by eating some meals in. Updating the rooms by adding some historically accurate details back and improving finishes, and/or improving the parking situation would make this a 4/5 rating for me.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to El Cordova Hotel? Share your experiences!