“My second home!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Coronado
Glendale, Arizona
“My second home!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

It's always wonderful at El Cordova. The only issue was the shower was not draining very well. I also received a great haircut from Elaine at Shear Perfection. Miguel's is always delicious. I look forward to my next stay!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
verde valley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

i loved this place! its right across the street from the del, and its got a great restaurant right inside the hotel courtyard. CAUTION - this restaurant is not so great if you hope to loose weight.

and the Margaritas there are excellent!

and the room is very comfortable... i could go on and on!

my only "issue" - the internet has problems. it works great in the lobby. but then again, if you want great internet service, stay home. you are there to enjoy Coronado!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Great location with easy access to beach, marina, shops and dining. No hotel parking, so ask ahead about options. Room was very comfortable. Noise from restaurant patio dining, but ended at a reasonable time. No elevators. The plants and flowers in the courtyard were beautiful. Enjoyed staying in a hotel that was unique. Well worth considering.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
MicaJackson, General Manager at El Cordova Hotel, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Thank you for the review of our hotel. I would like to point out the current parking options for our guests. Guests may opt to use the secured parking garage directly across the street. The rates may vary depending on the season. Guest can also park at the metered spots around the hotel. The meters are on from 8 AM to 6 PM and allow overnight parking at no charge. The final option is the park in the neighborhood directly behind the hotel. Any guest may contact the hotel for more information on our parking options.

Thanks again for staying and we hope to see you again!
Eagle River, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

El Cordova is small, unique and has character. It's not glisteningly perfect everywhere, which is what gives it its charm. The newer, cookie-cutter luxury hotels lack a personal feel. Our room was one of the least expensive, and I'd say my main letdown would have to be the bathroom because it was just so incredibly small. It was hard to have toiletries out, even for just the two of us. There also needs to be a bit more soundproofing of the doors because late-nighters did wake me up. Still, I loved the place. The pool, the courtyard, the birds everywhere. Such character. And we were within walking distance of everything we wanted -- the beach, the shops, the restaurants and even the best places to go running.

Room Tip: The smaller rooms are a deal, but the quarters are tight. I'd opt for the ones with larger bathr...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Old Saybrook, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

My husband and daughter just returned from a 5 night stay at the El Cordova. It was a really special Daughter and Dad vacation and the El Cordova was a great hotel for them to hang out at the Beach, Explore San Diego and the California Cost. Both loved the hotel. The location, the rooms, the pool everything. They had no complaints and my husband is already planning to take me back there. (I cant wait). The only reason he would give the sleep quality an average is because he slept on the sofa bed. Not at all to his liking.

Room Tip: They had a pool side 1 bedroom suite with sofa bed.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Great location, a taste of quaint Mexican hospitality in 'Pleasantville'. Good vibrancy. Room was a bit stuffy needed to be aired out for a few hours. All amenities are close by. Hotel is easy to find, we didn't need parking.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Phoenix
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Pros:
- Location - Right across the street from Hotel del Coronado and the beach. Also, within walking distance to Orange Ave business district.
- Price - Standard Room rates were less than $100/night (very good for Coronado)
- Restaurants - Hotel has 3 restaurants connected to it: Miguel's, Miguelito's and Fabrison's. The hotel also provides vouchers for each these restaurants when checking in.

Cons:
- Size: Standard rooms are very small. Bathrooms are extremely small with barely any counter space. Sink is tiny, shower is cramped.
- Smell: The hallways leading to the standard rooms have a musty carpet smell. We also smelled cigarette smoke from adjacent rooms, even though all are "non-smoking"
- Age: The hotel itself is very old, and is showing its age.
- Water Temp: Unpredictable. When taking a shower, the water may be scolding hot one second, luke warm the next, and cold the next.
- Appliances: No microwave or mini-fridge
- Hotel Staff: Not overly friendly/helpful

Room Tip: We were able to see the 1 bedroom suite, and probably would have been much happier with one of these...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
MicaJackson, General Manager at El Cordova Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for the review of our hotel. I am a glad that you were able to enjoy the restaurants on property. I hope that you were also able to have some of the great seafood that The Brigantine has to offer.

I am sorry to hear that you did not find your room accommodating. It is true that the Standard rooms are the smallest room type on property. However many of our guests find these rooms the most economical for their visit to Coronado. I personally prefer the Deluxe rooms or the One Bedrooms Suites since these room types were renovated just last May 2012. Also, all Suites on property contain a full kitchen and dining area should you need a microwave or refrigerator. As you have stated, all of our rooms are 100% nonsmoking, therefore if you see anyone smoking or smell smoke in the area, we ask that you contact the front desk immediately so that we may address the issue. I agree that our property is very old (built in 1902), however we take great pride in updating the property on a consistent basis. I already mentioned our renovation last year. This year we will be upgrading the water system on property to better serve our guests.

I invite you to contact me directly concerning the hotel staff. We strive to provide our guests with a high level of service. I hope that you will give us another chance should you return to the San Diego area in the future. Thanks again for staying with us.

Been to El Cordova Hotel? Share your experiences!