“The Standard Room is below Standard” 2 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1351 Orange Avenue, Coronado, CA 92118   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #13 of 18 hotels in Coronado
Phoenix
“The Standard Room is below Standard”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Pros:
- Location - Right across the street from Hotel del Coronado and the beach. Also, within walking distance to Orange Ave business district.
- Price - Standard Room rates were less than $100/night (very good for Coronado)
- Restaurants - Hotel has 3 restaurants connected to it: Miguel's, Miguelito's and Fabrison's. The hotel also provides vouchers for each these restaurants when checking in.

Cons:
- Size: Standard rooms are very small. Bathrooms are extremely small with barely any counter space. Sink is tiny, shower is cramped.
- Smell: The hallways leading to the standard rooms have a musty carpet smell. We also smelled cigarette smoke from adjacent rooms, even though all are "non-smoking"
- Age: The hotel itself is very old, and is showing its age.
- Water Temp: Unpredictable. When taking a shower, the water may be scolding hot one second, luke warm the next, and cold the next.
- Appliances: No microwave or mini-fridge
- Hotel Staff: Not overly friendly/helpful

Room Tip: We were able to see the 1 bedroom suite, and probably would have been much happier with one of these...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
MicaJackson, General Manager at El Cordova Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for the review of our hotel. I am a glad that you were able to enjoy the restaurants on property. I hope that you were also able to have some of the great seafood that The Brigantine has to offer.

I am sorry to hear that you did not find your room accommodating. It is true that the Standard rooms are the smallest room type on property. However many of our guests find these rooms the most economical for their visit to Coronado. I personally prefer the Deluxe rooms or the One Bedrooms Suites since these room types were renovated just last May 2012. Also, all Suites on property contain a full kitchen and dining area should you need a microwave or refrigerator. As you have stated, all of our rooms are 100% nonsmoking, therefore if you see anyone smoking or smell smoke in the area, we ask that you contact the front desk immediately so that we may address the issue. I agree that our property is very old (built in 1902), however we take great pride in updating the property on a consistent basis. I already mentioned our renovation last year. This year we will be upgrading the water system on property to better serve our guests.

I invite you to contact me directly concerning the hotel staff. We strive to provide our guests with a high level of service. I hope that you will give us another chance should you return to the San Diego area in the future. Thanks again for staying with us.

326 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Gilbert, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

My room was extreme clean and was comfortably furnished. The hotel is very unique in that there is a beautiful courtyard with a heated pool an spa and an outstanding Mexican Restaurant and other shops. So convenient for everything. A short 2 block walk to the beach or Hotel del Coronado. I had two concerns, my room was on the second floor and there was no elevator. The steps are steep so I had to ask for help with my luggage as did my friends who were in the room next door. I found out the day before my arrival about the steps an asked the hotel if they could upgrade us to a first floor room, even a handicap room would be fine. They said they could not do that, even though we noticed many unoccupied rooms. That would have been greatly appreciated. Otherwise the stay was perfect. I can't wait to return. Coronado is a very special place and the El Cordova is an excellent choice for a relaxing vacation.

Room Tip: Stay on the first floor if steps are a concern, in back, if possible. (Very quiet)
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thousand Palms
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

The El Cordova is an intimate boutique hotel with little retail shops through-out and great restaurants for every pallette, from seafood to crepes for breakfast and spicier foods, in between.
Underground parking is obtainable and affordable across the street from the hotel, but there is free street parking in the residential section nearby. The standard room I booked was a bit small for two, but I will book a larger delux room on my next visit. Great shopping and dining across the street at the resort hotel.

Room Tip: Book a delux room or a suite if you have two or more in your party
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

The hotel has a lot of charm. The rooms were small and the bathroom was about 20 sq. feet, but it was clean and fit our needs. The price is great for the location, just across the street from the beach. The free breakfast was great, with fresh made tomato, spinach, and mushroom crepes. The staff was friendly and accomodating. The hot tub was great, and my son loved the pool. I would have rated 5 stars, but the bathroom was tiny, and there was no light above the shower, making things overall a little dark. I would definitly recommend to a friend. However, I don't think the room could hold more than two people.

Room Tip: Ask for a downstairs room if you have heavy luggage, as there is no elevator.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Palm Desert, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Quaint, Great Hotel, Great location, good service, clean and all at a Great Price. My Wife and I enjoyed our stay for our Anniversary, Birthday and Valentines day. The El Cordova was just perfect place with a great location. Thank you Nathan............ for your hospitality.

chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Currently staying here in a 1 bedroom suite. Wow, what a pleasant surprise. We have a large bedroom, living room, dining room and full kitchen (rm 82). A steal for the price. Perfect location across from The Del and right on Orange st. El Cordova was the original home, more like mansion, of the owners of The Del. the staff is very friendly, Jay and Rafael were great! I loved it so much I just booked a 5nt stay in April. I'm not sure why this hotel isn't rend higher on TA but you will not be disappointed. Great little restaurants within the hotel complex too. Miguel's, Brigantine and a great little French crepe place 3 doors down. Loved it!

Room Tip: If you can splurge, go for grand suite, if not the 1 bed suite 82 has a balcony overlooking pool
Alpine, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Quaint, clean rooms with easy access to sites, shopping, beach, etc. My friend and I have been taking vacations together since 1987 and this one will be one of my favorites:) Great bargain for Coronado! We will be back and recommend to friends/family!

Room Tip: Our room was on the main street, Orange, which is the only way through town and a little noisy. Ask...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to El Cordova Hotel? Share your experiences!