“Great location, clean rooms, not fancy” 4 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1351 Orange Avenue, Coronado, CA 92118   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #13 of 18 hotels in Coronado
Tucson, Arizona
“Great location, clean rooms, not fancy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

You can't bet the location, close to everything (food, the beach, shopping and the Del). But don't except a 4-5 star room. Nice, comfortable and clean but nothing fancy.

Great with a family because the rooms have separate bedroom and small kitchen.

Would stay again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

324 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Las Vegas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

The couple of recent reviews have had a similar experience to me. We stayed in a suite, room 59, and yes, the plumbing leaves something to be desired, namely good pressure and good hot cold mixture. The shower was alternating between scalding hot or "refreshingly cool" which is not what I was going for at the end of December. The electrical outlet in the bathroom didn't work and yes, I tried resetting the GFI. I spent our first night in the room fully dressed and I wore my coat to bed over all my clothes. It was very cold in the bedroom even though we set the heater in the room to 80 degrees. The temperature in the room never made it past 65. In the morning my husband went to the front desk and requested a space heater, which helped a lot. The hotel is picturesque, has nice amenities and the location is hard to beat. There are many restaurants and shops nearby and the beach a short walk way. It's worth staying here so long as you have realistic expectations. The breakfast place has amazing crapes and they are open for lunch too.

Room Tip: Choose room away from the main walk way and if you don't mind having to be upstairs, choose an...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

My friends and I didn't want to travel far but wanted to feel like we were on vacation so we decided to stay at El Cordova Hotel in Coronado. And I'm so glad we did!! Before we even booked a night there, we decided to check it out first. Right when we stepped foot onto the hotel, one of the staff members Maria, graciously offered to give us a tour of the property. She told us the history of the hotel while showcasing a few of the rooms in which we decided to go for the best one they had (in my opinion). When we checked in the following weekend, we felt so welcomed! Christine at the front desk was very accommodating. She recommended a place for us to go out to dinner within walking distance to the hotel that was simply delicious! I can only say great things about this place and I can’t wait until we stay here again! Thank you El Cordova!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
parker, co
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed in a small standard room (118) which was in the back of the building and quiet, except for neighbors who kept slamming their doors late in the evening (not the hotel's fault!) The staff were pleasant and helpful. Yes, the room was small as was the bathroom, so if you are a super-sized American, you might want a larger room. Pros: across from Hotel Del Coronado--easy walk to the best beach in San Diego. Cute street location. Charming old style. Coffee in room and coffee, tea and water in lobby. Continental breakfast included at creperie 2 doors down. Walking distance to shops and restaurants. Good Mexican restaurant on site. Staff happy to print boarding passes for us. Pass for $8.00 a day underground parking across the street. Very inexpensive (about $100 AAA winter rate.) Have to laugh at all the complaints. Seriously, are people expecting a penthouse for this price! Also, it's and older hotel and the room was not fancy, but all we did was sleep and shower in the room. Simple improvements to make the room more comfortable would be bettter pilllows, fitted bottom sheets, a shelf in the bathroom, and a small waste basket in the bedroom. I've stayed at decent hotels in Europe that were about this size with similar showers, so the size was no problem. For the price, you cannot beat the location and the amenties. If it were warmer, we would have taken advantage of the pretty pool and hot tub. Recommendation: be realistic and compare the prices and see if you want to pay several hundred bucks more for a larger room and shower at the other hotels, or save the money and have a super dinner or lunch somewhere. BTW, we had lunch at the Del right on the beach at the cafe. $40 for a veggie burger, chili and one coke! But the location and view were worth it, and we could afford it with what we saved by staying at the Hotel El Cordova!

Room Tip: Just ask the staff for a quiet room; many are laid out near the restaurant so you probably don't...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
MicaJackson, General Manager at El Cordova Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you for the wonderful review of our hotel. I am glad to hear that you found value in our Standard rooms. I also appreciate the feedback concerning the amenities of the room. We are always looking to improve the property and listen to all guest comments. We look forward to serving you again should you return to the San Diego area.
El Dorado Hills
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We had an excellent time at the El Cordova Hotel. The facilities and staff were beyond our expectations and the location was ideal. Our room (37) was quiet and had an fine layout for an extended stay. The breakfast was very good and the choice of a free continental breakfast or a discounted full breakfast was welcome. We would recommend the El Cordova Hotel without reservation (pun was intended).

Room Tip: We were in room 37 and enjoyed all the available facilities.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Lincoln, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Cute boutique hotel across the street from Hotel Del Coronado. Cute shops and restaurants. The staff is helpful and friendly. The hotel itself needs someone with decorator skills to make the rooms more homey and comfortable. The lighting is poor (only wall-mounted lighting), We had a very small kitchen (mentioned several times in prior reviews), The is a great hotel if your plans take you out and about, but if you intend to stay put at least part of the time, or so much cooking, find another hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I was not sure what to expect when I arrived at the hotel. I was very surprised that it was such a nice property. The employees at the desk were all very pleasant and helpful. The free WI FI was nice to have as was the coffee in the room. The room was very nice, with a small desk that could have used a light on it. The bed was very comfortable; the clock radio was somewhat hard to figure out and was not very bright. The closet was large, but could have used a few more hangers. The ice machine was in the laundry near the pool. The courtyard of the building contained a Mexican restaurant and the first floor of the building on the street sides had shops and restaurants. The noise was not a bother. The hotel is very convenient to many restaurants and the becah; it is across the street form the del Coronado Hotel. The hotel has an arrangement with a fitness center less tha a block away for a daily charge of $8.00. My stay was very nice and I will be staying here in the future when I am in Coronado. I have stayed at four hotels in this area and I find that I enjoyed my stay here the best.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to El Cordova Hotel? Share your experiences!