“Great location, but some problems” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #13 of 19 Hotels in Coronado
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great location, but some problems”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2006

Ideal location, if you want not to be downtown, but close enough to avail yourself (by short ferry ride) of San Diego's center-city attractions. Considering the location and amenities, the price I paid was reasonable.

The staff was, in the main, pleasant and helpful; the rooms and view were satisfactory.

As to detractions: replacement of some furniture, both in the rooms and the public areas was long overdue. The feeling my wife and I had was of a formerly 4-star resort which, through either poor management or severe cost-cutting, had become a 3-star facility.

A minor event to point up an inappropriate attempt at cost-cutting: we were informed that--for reasons of conservation--sheets and pillowcases would only be changed every 3 days. We were also informed, however, that if we so indicated, we could have daily service.

• Stayed January 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2006

Our expectations were high -- good reviews, 5-star Marriott property, #3 rating on TripAdvisor, email from the hotel a week our arrival inquiring about special needs (we did -- highchair, crib, microwave, fridge, 1PM check-in), and an email acknowledgment of our requests. Plus we were paying the same amount for a room here as we had at the Four Seasons Aviara earlier during our trip. We check in and nothing is as planned -- we waited 2 hours to check in with the very surly check-in staff reminding us that check-in is at 3PM (why did you ask in your email if we needed to check-in earlier); after we checked-in, the room had none of the special requests we had asked for -- we had to ask for each of them again and wait for another hour before they were delivered. Rooms are tiiiired -- all that was missing was the formica floor. The old furniture, the worn carpet, the dim lighting, all seemed to have been carried over from when this was a Meridien property. On the positive side -- the views are great, the bathrooms are nice, our suite was large (but laid out very poorly), the bellstaff are very helpful, and the location on the Boardwalk overlooking the Bay and San Diego City is superb. I would give this hotel 1 1/2 stars at best, and strongly suggest other places to stay, especially if you are spending $400+ a night. Or don't combine a stay here with a stay at the Four Seasons Aviara -- you'll be disappointed.

• Stayed December 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2005

For what they charge for one night's stay, the Marriott must update the hideously dated rooms. My husband had been there 15 years ago, and said it looked exactly the same. The pool area could use a facelift as well. For $250/night (internet rate), I was expecting a nicer room. Would have preferred the Marriott across the bay in downtown San Diego.

• Stayed May 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Marriott for three days and were not impressed. For the prices listed and ratings all the travel websites gave it - I was expecting a lot more. The rooms are VERY dated - pink and pale green decor. Our room smelled musty and old from the moment we walked in. The lobby and pool are nice - but they need to spend some money updating the areas you are in the most. We ended up getting a deal through priceline but even for $120/night - it wasn't worth it. Next time I will stay in the Gaslamp area.

• Stayed October 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2005

I chose this hotel based on previous Marriott stays and by being one level below their top category I could not wait to vacation at this 'resort'.

As soon as I checked into my room I was disappointed! My wife checked out the room and immediately asked me to call to get someone to re-clean the bathroom. Called the front desk and asked them to clean it while I was out to lunch. Came back and nothing was done. Over the next 2 hours I made two more phone calls and asked for the bathroom to be cleaned. Nothing! I finally had to go downstairs and ask the manager to get the bathroom cleaned and it was finally done!

The next day after a long day trip to LA we came back to the hotel around 11:30pm to find holes all over our bedsheet! I had to call Marriott guest services to book me into a different Marriott resort in Dana Point.

While checking out the manager who had helped me 2 days ago to get my room cleaned and had approved a free night stay that same morning asked me how I enjoyed my stay!

A horrible stay at an overpriced resort!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2005

My daughter and I stayed there for a few days for some R and R. I have to agree, for the price it's hardly worth it. The decor needs updating desperately, though the bathrooms were nice. The service by the pool was terrible even though there was hardly anyone there. I walked up to the pool bar to find a server only to find the bartender on the phone using profane language that anyone could have heard (including my 18 month old daughter). I called for a bellman as I was checking out. I left after waiting for 20 min. Again, it's Sept during a week day. The clincher, I was charged for mini bar items I never used. I'll stay at the Del next time.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2005

I'd like to know why this is #1 AND 5 stars.... I certainly don't see it.
Lets start out from square one. I called 2 days before arriving as I saw on the hotel website under room ammentities webTV/internet. This was listed w/ about 10 other items, & a couple had the word "fee" after them. webTV did NOT. I called to ask about it if it came w/ the room & was told yes. Also told there were 3 public computers w/ net in business center. Great, I wouldn't have to lug my notebook. I arrive & shortly after checking into my room, I call the desk & ask where the ice machine is located. This is after I looked high & low for a hotel directory that is usually in every hotel/motel room I've ever stayed in. Certainly something you'd expect in a $300 room. I taked w/ 8 other guests in the hot tub the next day & nobody has a directory. The person at the desk says (& there was no "language" issue) "we don't have one" (ice machine) HUH??? I find out from my son in another room there's one on every floor/wing. Next I go to access webTV & after 2 windows get "select to BUY" Buy???? no price given anywhere. I GO to the front desk w/ print out (I took w/ me from home) ask them what gives ? told them about the call I made 2 days earlier, was told by an asst mgr, it ALL costs. I asked him "how many things you buy w/o knowing the cost?" got a blank stare. Place has a lot of rotted wood on the balcony side planters, Steel fence around hot tub was rusty & rotted completely off in places. Food was over priced. Incedently Albertson's is 2 blocks up the street. I went up & bought a styrofoam cooler for $2.50, a bunch of water, soda, beer, snacks. A bottle of Evian was $3.99 in the room. Pardon my French, this palce sucks at $300!

• Stayed September 2005

Been to Marriott Coronado Island Resort? Share your experiences!