“A hidden gem” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Coronado
Calgary
“A hidden gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

We stayed here for a week, and had no issues at all with the place itself. Yes, it is a little older and dated but the rooms seem to be renovated. We had a wonderful city/ocean view of the Harbour, with a spacious balcony. Housekeeping was great and attentive to any needs or requests. They did break one of our phone chargers and when we phoned downstairs and we were immediately given a credit. Every staff member went out of the way to ensure our stay was fantastic. We stayed on points and in addition were given 20% off anything we charged to the room as my husband is a platinum member. There are no resort fees as with most marriott resorts and yes, the self park is expensive. But we only used it for one night as there is plenty of free parking around the hotel (we never parked more than a block away). Yes, the food is pricey (what hotel food isn't? ), but the portions are large and the food was good. There are numerous great options close to the hotel (walking or driving), so we only ate poolside twice. It is also close to the ferry dock for a trip into downtown San Diego. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

The Good:
* Great view of Coronado Bay
* Clean rooms
* Well-maintained hotel grounds
* Seems like a good place for a relaxing family vacation

The Bad:
* Parking is expensive.. $29 self-parking and $33 for valet
* Not located near the beach
* Rooms need to be updated

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I'll start by saying wow. What a location and what a beautiful hotel.

HOWEVER,
$12.95 FOR WIFI
$29 FOR SELF PARK.

For the amount of money you spend to stay here, I genuinely think that these should be free. Because of this is why I rated service so low.

Ordered the bbq salmon for $24 and they gave me sweet baby rays bbq sauce for bbq. Thankfully i got it on the side. Come on, man! I can say I will look elsewhere next time.

Beatiful hotel, needs more inclusive guest amenities.

• Stayed July 2014
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Beautiful entrance, and the reception and valet personnel were very friendly, the room has a plenty of space and it has a little fridge and coffee spot, bathroom was spacious also and in great conditions, what I liked the most was the bed: mattress, pillows and sheets were great and I appreciated that over all!

Unfortunately we only stayed for a day, so I didn't have the chance to go around the area but I can tell the view was beautiful and the breakfast on the terrace was great thus it worth the price :)

Oh, there was something that I didn't expect...there was a Wi-Fi fee, so I was like really? I mean room charge was a kind of pricey already and I would expect it to cover all...

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

This is a great hotel. Nicer rooms, great patio, good facilities and pool and close to the harbor. It's hard to find any fault with this hotel. We had a large reunion and everyone loved the location so much, we're re-booking for next year. Can't wait.

Room Tip: It looks to me that they're all good.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We just returned from a 4 night stay in one of the one bedroom villas. Upon entering the lobby, we were taken back by the uninviting, dark, dreary lobby. This is not your typical Marriott decor. I'm so sorry we booked at this hotel. The only thing going for this hotel is the location. Apparently Marriott
does not feel that it needs to update this hotel since people sadly will pay the high price tag just because it is in Coronado. I really felt like I was staying in a 2 star hotel. The room had a lot of dust
hanging on the walls and the baseboards. This is unacceptable when paying over 400.00 per night.
Come on Marriott....you could do much better.

Fairfax Station, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

My family and I have just returned from an incredible week long vacation in Coronado, California and the Marriott Coronado Island Resort did their part to make this possible! From the moment we checked in to the last second before leaving everyone on the hotel staff made us feel important.

There was a minor issue in our room (smoke alarm) and it was resolved in about 10 minutes after reporting it. The shower drain was still slow to drain but that is probably from years of use! Overall the facility, grounds and furnishings were excellent. The only real area of concern that should be mentioned is the condition of the lounge chairs and umbrellas at the pool. They have served their customers well and are in need of replacement. the other item would be the charge for parking...Really? Hasn't the parking garage been paid for already? $29 is pretty steep to park a car overnight when you are already paying for a room.

Other than that, the front desk staff, the coffee bar, the resturant staff, the front door/parking attendants, the housekeeping staff, grounds keepers and pool staff should all be commended! Thank you very much for a wonderful time and I look forward to our next visit!

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor (only 3 floors, elevators are slow) that looks over San Diego Bay
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Marriott Coronado Island Resort? Share your experiences!