“Excellent Staff” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 19 Hotels in Coronado
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Excellent Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

Clifford at the Sand Bar last Monday night for a reception function went out of his way to accommodate my needs. The staff is extremely friendly, nice willing to help. Breakfast at the bar is over priced, and had to go to the front desk several times and had to wait on the staff, once they appeared they were friendly. Rooms are average, weather is great, resort has so much to do, rent the bikes (a little pricey) ride around the island. Plenty of nice places to walk or take the water taxi. Great views!!! Would recommend.

Room Tip: Rooms on the backside have the best views
Green Features: They kept the same sheets on the bed, and the toilets were environmentally safe.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

My family (parents, brother and sister in law) and I stayed here from a Tuesday until a Saturday. When we pulled up, we saw flamingos in the pond right by the hotel. Both of the rooms had views of the bay and downtown San Diego. The rooms were extremely clean and had lots of space. There was a counter with a mini fridge and a large counter in the bathroom, which every girl really appreciates. There was a separate shower and tub. The maids were very friendly. The hotel also had a great location. We saw a mother duck and her four ducklings walking around. My brother discovered the salts in the lobby bathroom that sanitize and exfoliate your hands. We all ended up buying these salts from the hotel's gift shop. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Humble, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

Stayed from June 18 to June 23 with my wife and 13 year old granddaughter. Rooms were clean and we'll kept. The grounds were beautiful. The staff were all very helpful, courteous, always willing to help and very professional. We had a room facing the bay and San Diego. The hotel's location made it very convenient to get around Coronado and San Diego. We were able to do all the things we planed from our location. When we come back to San Diego we will stay at the Marriott on Coronado.

I want to thank everyone at the Marriott at Coronado for making our vacation very enjoyable.

By the way we had a great time in and around San Diego. People are all so friendly and helpful.

Quick suggestion, do the Trolley tour and Seal tour at the beginning of your stay. Both are very informative.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Huntington, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

I stayed at this property for four nights in June 2014 while attending a conference there. I was sold a king room, non-bay view. I am uncertain as to the price paid for the room as it was direct billed to the conference organizer. The published room price was $349/night.

The property is located just off the Coronado Island Bridge in a primarily residential area. Some restaurants and retail are a few blocks away and all nearby areas appear to be very safe and well lit. Free parking is available on nearby streets while paid valet parking is available at typical hotel rates. Walking one half block can allow visitors to see significant savings.

The exterior of the property is very attractive, clean and well-manicured. It is obviously well cared for. The lobby area is expansive, clean, attractive and well lit. It can easily accommodate large groups without difficulty. The hotel bar and restaurant are immediately adjacent and feature both inside and patio seating. Food and service in these areas were as expected at this price point.

Check-in was two minute affair and staff were very polite and helpful. This was a precursor of what was to come.

Rooms are accessible only from outside walkways. While unusual for a resort property, designers availed themselves of the typically great Southern California weather. It worked. Elevators are spread-out and during my stay one was consistently out of service making the walk with luggage even longer. Elevator cabs were very attractive and spotlessly clean.

The king room was found to be large, attractively decorated and well equipped. Minor spots were noted on carpeting and very light wear was noted to furnishings. Bedding was comfortable, in good repair and typical for the brand. Important to the business traveler, internet speeds were excellent, electrical access points were plentiful and all electrical devices worked as advertised. The room was exceedingly quiet both day and night. The balcony overlooking a pond was an added plus and a great point for morning coffee.

The bathroom was spotless and featured both a soaking tub and shower. Water pressure was excellent but delivery of hot water was a lengthy affair. The quality of towels and amenities was typical for the brand.

Housekeeping service by and large was good. It seemed as if one minor item was missed each day. One day we were shorted towels, another day we were shorted shampoo. Perhaps the housekeeping staff are rushed from staffing shortages? Regardless, it was noticeable and atypical for the brand. Attention to detail would be a bonus in this regard.

Food service was simply excellent. Although all group meals were served buffet style, the meals were well presented, tasty and of excellent quality. Most importantly, the service at these meal sites was simply stellar. One would no longer finish a plate until it was gone. Food was constantly refreshed on the buffet and everything happened with a smile and a most polite tone. Even while standing in a buffet line a server would come by and simply say “welcome back” and inquire if previous meals had been satisfactory. Simple gestures for certain – but they reflect a commitment to customer engagement and service that obviously starts at the top and rolls down.

I would be remiss if I failed to mention the efforts of the food service supervisors. I spend a significant amount of time at resorts and business hotels. I tend to see supervisors don their sport coats and stand in the corner with their hands behind their backs watching staff scurry about. Not here. Every single one of them pitched in and helped staff to see that everything was done quickly, efficiently and politely. This was evident from my first meal there and was noted throughout. Again, great customer service.

The resort features tennis, a spa, a pool and exercise equipment. Each area was clean, well equipped and was well stocked with great staff. One cannot walk through this place and not have every employee they see speak to them in a most polite manner. I typically only see this at a Forbes 5-Star and/or AAA 5-Diamond properties, not at the Marriott. Management here “gets it” and they have effectively pushed service and engagement throughout all levels of the organization. It worked and it shows.

My check-out was a brief affair as all documents were in order. I was thanked for my business and invited back. The valet inquired as to whether directions were needed, wished me a pleasant day and I was off.

Given the high quality management and broad attention to detail I experienced, should the opportunity present itself, I would not hesitate to stay here again. I recommend that you try this property and see for yourself that, regardless of those who say it can’t be done, the delivery of consistent, high-quality customer service is achievable.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Laguna Hills, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

I have stayed at this location and the Marriott Marquis just across the bay. I am not sure what the hype is about this particular hotel. It has an updated lobby, but that's about it. It went from a category 6 to a category 8 in one year, but nothing much has changed. The rooms seem dated. If you must stay here, the villas are more spacious and in a quieter part of the property. It is nice to be able to park right outside your door, if you consider that an amenity worth $29 extra per day. The grounds are so, so, but nothing inspiring. Unless you really want to be on the peninsula, I think the Marriott Marquis across the bay is a better deal for almost 40% less the price and more convenient to get around town.

Room Tip: Villas are located in a quieter part of the property. Bay villas would be the best. The villas on...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Nusrat M, General Manager at Marriott Coronado Island Resort, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Thank you very much for staying at my hotel during your recent trip to Coronado Island. I am grateful for your kind comments about great view and updated lobby. I apologize that you did not find our rooms as updated, your are very important and helpful for future renovation plans.

Hope to see you again in future.

Nusrat
Sagres, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

We stayed at the hotel in May 2014, for 3 nights of our five week holiday. We had a one bedroom villa with bay view, the reception was very welcoming, and the fact that we could park outside the villa was a bonus. The rooms were adequate, and the kitchen was useful for making a drink when needed. The on site restaurant was good though very quiet at the time we were there, the outside eating area was pleasant, and our view of the harbor was great. We made a visit to the aquarium while we were there and the sea horses were a spectacular treat, well worth the visit. And we had a meal in a good restaurant (George's in La Jolla) the valets have to park your car, but at eight dollars it's well worth it. It is a very busy place in the evenings. Overall it was a good experience in our extended stay in California.

Room Tip: The villa was adequate for a three day stay, We travelled to view different areas so we did not spen...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I could of spent more nights there. Beautiful place. The staff was great. The concierge was so helpful. The view was great and our room very nice. Such a relaxing place. I want to go again soon. So easy to get around town/island. The bridge has great views. Nice little shops and restaurants to choose from. Something for everyone.we stayed at 3 different Marriott properties in 8 days. Loved this one & Seaport Harbor. It is not a cheap place to stay. It's location you are paying for. Rooms were expensive, but close to attractions.

Room Tip: Our room looked out to ocean. Only thing is there are a lot of planes/helicopters flying over. We en...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Been to Marriott Coronado Island Resort? Share your experiences!