“Spectacular view, dining, and staff” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Coronado
Chino Hills, California
“Spectacular view, dining, and staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Although this facility is older and smaller than most Marriott Resorts it is still a great spot to stay. Probably more than half of their rooms overlook Coronado Bay and San Diego Harbor. SO much fun for people watching and relaxing on the balcony or patio dining area. Pool is just of the dining area and has the same spectacular view. The location is very close to the free shuttle bus for the entire island sight seeing and also within walking distance of the Ferry Landing with shops and nice eating places.
The very best staff I have seen over all. Check in, valet, bell service, concierge and restaurant staff were all above and beyond courteous, friendly and seemed truly delighted we stayed there.

Room Tip: 232 was a corner room with the view everyone wants.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed here in July 2013, during the Comic - Con convention. We were not attendees but enjoyed the activities.
We were really looking forward to this location as it was the end of our trip and was looking for some down time.
Unfortunately we were disappointed.
The property itself is set on a beautiful location, overlooking the bridge and the San Diego skyline. It is a large sprawling property, which a number of amenities, pools, basketball and tennis courts, spa, and fitness centre.
The property seems to be managed just enough to keep it looking okay. It is almost like it is waiting to be transferred over to another chain for them to improve. ( I say this because we have stayed in a location in FLA that this happened to)
We had a room, with 2 double beds and a sofa bed and a balcony. Good size room but barely fit 2 adults, and 2 children, aged 11 and 12.
The staff at the front desk and valet seem very young and inexperienced. There was no valet around much of the time to help with luggage.
We had breakfast in the restaurant which was good. The wait staff was super friendly and they were the highlight of the hotel.
The hotel offers a shuttle to the city, however it can only hold about 15 people.
The hotel is close to the Marina village which offers a number of restaurant for lunch/dinner mostly, as well as some shops. There is an Alfredson grocery store 5 minute walk where you can pick up prepared salads, sandwiches, and snacks for the kids.
Overall the stay was disappointing. It has the potential to be a great spot and hopefully it will become that.

Tucson, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Let me first say that I think this is a great, convient, nice property that I did enjoy myself at but I will never stay here again.

As a Marriott platinum member I decided to use my points on a family vacation this past summer.  We knew we wanted to go to the San Diego area and that because of my family dynamic (4 y/o and twin 1 y/os)  that we needed a big suite but that was about it. So months in advance I had over an hour long conversation with the rep and the best option was the Marriott Resort Coronado Island.  The problem was they didn't have suites available for point use...the rep did not seemed worried and said she would call the hotel to see if anything could be done.  It took no time at all for the manager to agree to use my points and an additional $50/night for a 1 bedroom villa. I quickly agreed and was exceptionally thankful they could do that.  The first problem however was I got my confirmation email and it said it was for a regular king room, so I called back and was assured it was no problem, it was marked in the system and it would be taken care of closer to the check in date.  I didn't think anything of it.

2 days before arrival I called to confirm my early arrival and after giving my confirmation number the lady said congratulations I was upgraded to a king bayside facing. I told her she must be mistaken because I have a 1 bedroom villa...after she told me no back and forth for 5 minutes I asked to speak with a manager. The manager apparently had different access to my account and seen the notes for my villa (although he never fully said it)...only after being on the line nearly 2 hours was I given a regular suite (not sure of the technical name). It was made to seem that I should be grateful I was getting that which I feel is rude and poor customer service considering it wasn't my mistake or misunderstanding.  I would have certainly stayed elsewhere if I was told they couldn't accommodate my request and definitely would have understood...they agreed and came up with the terms.

When I hung up the phone with the hotel I called the platinum line and explained the situation...they said they would follow up in the morning with the general manager and get back to me...they never called me back and when I reached back out they said there was nothing they can do other than give me 10000 points back (1 night is 25000 there). Overall the lack of customer service especially for a platinum member was disappointing and is making me rethink my future hotel choices.

When we arrived the room was nice but barely adequate in size and didn't have a refrigerator big enough for my girls snacks and milk.  I did love the double balcony which was very nice in the mornings and late night.

The location on the island was great just blocks away from the main strip and loved the view of the water.  The pool area and bar were very nice, clean and the personal cabanas were perfect.

Room service took forever regardless of when, what you ordered and however long they said add at least 20 minutes.

Many of the beverage machines do not work...parking was $22 a day when the street was free.

Lastly there was a quick power outage and it knocked the elevator out for about half a day which isn't a real big issue until you can't get back up from the garage under the hotel and you have to walk around the front of the hotel with 3 little kids.

Overall again it's a nice property, but I feel the customer service was less than what I'm used to from Marriott resorts and truthfully Marriott properties all together. I understand that my experience was probably a mistake but I think it should be noted to those that are staying there.

Room Tip: Bayside is certainly the side you want to stay on...spend the extra money
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

This was our second time to the resort and I can honestly say, I am not sure I will be back. We were here at exactly the same time last year (August 2012) which was an entirely different experience. My first thought is that they have had a change of management as the overall service has dropped considerably.
In all fairness, some of the staff are amazing whereas others clearly don't want to be at work. When we arrived on August 6th, the valet were absolutely outstanding. They actually addressed us by name which was impressive. However, when we approached the front desk, where there was absolutely no other guests, and said "Good afternoon", the young woman did not even look up from her computer to acknowledge us. When they did finally give us our keys (we arrived at 1pm but wouldn't allow us into our room until exactly 4pm, as per their "guarantee" policy), they didn't offer any explanation of our "package". I assumed the package was therefore explained in our room however, to my dismay, this was not the case. We had to return to the front desk and ask another staff member (Bryant, who was, by the way, phenomenal), how to access the wifi, our daily credits, etc.
We were in Room 336 which is a nice room with a great view. We were, however, disappointed that we had to call housekeeping to clean up the crumpled potato chips on the balcony and "gunk" on the table and that it took two calls before they brought up an additional robe. I was also disappointed that I had to go down to the restaurant to get the crackers which had been forgotten in our "cheese plate and cracker platter" we had ordered from room service. Although we had tried to call 3 times to get room service to bring it up, noone answered (approx 9pm). So, our first 8 hours experience with the hotel was less than stellar.
We are here for 5 more nights so hoping it will get better.
In a nutshell, if you expect overall consistent service because you are paying $350/night, the Marriott Coronado is probably not the place for you. We will probably try the Del next year - you might want to consider doing the same.....

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
La Verne, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

My family stayed here in July 2009 for 3 nights. First time at this property and we had a good time. We've always liked getting away to San Diego and staying on the other side of the bay was pleasant, and quieter. I love the Gaslamp Quarter, but much prefer the the slower pace of Coronado. The hotel itself is in need of some updating, but overall comfortable. The property has a resort feel as it is spread out over a larger area. The boardwalk along the bay is nice and the view of the city, incomparable.

Solomons, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I was upgraded into a bungalow style room due to my Marriott Platinum status which was way more room than I needed, but it was impressively laid out and well appointed. My team gathered in it for meetings and it absorbed all of us like a luxury apartment. The rest of the resort is sprawling and well landscaped with spectacular views of San Diego Harbor and the bridge. There are beautiful paths meandering along the waterfront and throughout the property. Add the Marriott special style of service and it made for a memorable stay.

Room Tip: Ask for upgrade!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Providence
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I truly enjoyed my recent stay here with my girlfriend in Coronado and will visit here again. The Marriott is a great location right after the bridge to San Diego and a very nice hotel. There was a resort style pool area in the middle and the rooms were great too. The Marriott has a water taxi to get across downtown that's helpful. Everything was a little pricey though (ten bucks for a water a 1 Zantac?!) but I earned the trip free through a sales contest at work so it didn't affect me as much.

Room Tip: Get one that overlooks the bay, or pool
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Marriott Coronado Island Resort? Share your experiences!