“Great hotel!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Coronado
New Jersey
“Great hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We spent three nights in this hotel while visiting family. The rooms were clean, the staff is friendly and the location is great for walking along the water. The fitness room was also nice and clean, with windows and available exercise classes (although we never made any.) The 'excitement' is on the other side of town so you'll need to take cab, a long walk or a car across town if you want to hang out there, but there are plenty of things you can walk to, and a little water taxi for $6 per person each way will take you to the Marriott Marquis across the water, and you can walk to shops and restaurants from there. Beware that this will stop running at 7:15, though, so don't plan any late nights and rely on that!

Our first room was on the main floor facing the backs of pool chairs, and we asked to have it changed and got a lovely room on the third floor overlooking the marina, which we thoroughly enjoyed. The beds are a bit small, but the room was large enough and we were so tired every night that we didn't mind the close quarters. We had four full sized people in one room and we managed. I do wish the shower area was a little more spacious. There's a nice big tub, but we never used it and there's no place to put your soaps except for one little tray that sticks out of the wall.

Finally, the valet car parkers were wonderful. Friendly, helpful and always smiling. We didn't use the self-park as it was only marginally cheaper. Also, as someone else said, housekeeping DID knock at 9:15am on the day we were checking out. I didn't get that. Don't they get notified of checkouts each day? They never came that early when we were not checking out ...? Luckily we were up and getting ready; could have been awkward.

Overall, I highly recommend the hotel and would gladly stay here again on another visit. It was very relaxing and I do wish we'd had more time here.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

My boss told me this was a "must stay" hotel. Upon my arrival, I was rather surprised because it didn't seem like a hotel where he would typically stay. My room, although it was adequate was not clean. The lamps were dusty and there was debris all over the bathroom floor. The one perk this hotel has is an amazing view from the pool. Probably wouldn't return..

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed at the Marriott Coronado Island Resort, while visiting San Diego with our daughters (ages 16 and 21). It was great! The view was good, and we loved that we could walk to restaurants. We wish we could have stayed alittle longer.

• Stayed May 2013
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

After hours of trying to figure out where to stay for our mini-break, we settled on the Coronado Marriott. Overall, we enjoyed our experience. We booked an executive suite because we wanted to have a separate bedroom for our 15-month old to nap in. We were so pleased with our clean, spacious room (on the top floor) with 2 balconies! We had a gorgeous view of the city, bay and the resort gardens. We loved the koi pond, and we enjoyed watching the ducks (and ducklings!) and flamingoes. The grounds were very nicely kept, and the pool was a good size. It was very easy to walk to restaurants and shops at the ferry landing or on Orange Street. There was also a nice playground a short walk away. Almost all of the staff members that we dealt with were friendly, professional, and helpful. If we visit San Diego again, we'd love to stay at the Coronado Marriott!

Thousand Oaks, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Trip dates: 1/15 - 1/16 (1 night stay) -- Room No. 182

Location, location, location!

I have visited San Diego hundreds of times in my lifetime, but I have never stayed on Coronado Island. My friends raved about the historic Hotel Coronado, but I was wary of the price and got a great deal at the Marriott instead. Our family brought bicycles and we thought we'd simply ride to the beach in front of the Hotel Coronado and save the dollars on staying there.

We did just that. However, what we discovered was that the beach at the Hotel Coronado was exactly the type of beach that we like to avoid, as it was far too crowded for our tastes. We went back to the Marriott Resort and enjoyed the bay side of the island instead. The beaches by the resort were small but clean and uncrowded. If you have small children/toddlers, it is ideal, as there are no waves on the bay side of the island, where the Marriott is located, and it is very clean. There is a ferry and a water taxi that will take you from the resort across the bay to Gaslamp or the other more desirable parts of the downtown coastal part of San Diego.

We go the cheapest room we could, and were upgraded to a ground floor room with a view of the bay and pool area. The resort allowed us to check in early - 11:00 am, which was perfect for us. However, when we checked in, we noticed that the counters in the bathroom had some hair from the previous visitors. There was a housekeeping person cleaning the next room, so we brought it to her attention, and she came in and wiped down the counters. I noticed that no cleaning chemicals were used, so we used towels to cover the sink areas before putting our toiletries on the sink.

Service at the resort was excellent. The staff were friendly, helpful, accommodating, and fast/efficient at responding to our needs. On the day of our checkout, we were allowed to do a late checkout - 1:00 pm, without any extra charge.

The saltwater pool was wonderful. It's well landscaped and situated, and the pool bar is great. The pool lounge chairs were so comfortable that I could have slept on them instead of our bed! It's nice to use a pool and not feel the effects of chlorine on your skin after you use it!

The room was spacious and everything worked right. The ground floor patio was private and huge; we put three bicycles on the patio and they didn't impact our patio space at all! The beds were comfortable and the large restroom has a separate tub and shower. They had a walk-in aviary outside our room where we enjoyed some time with various finches. The grounds have water features everywhere, koi ponds, pink flamingos, and an assortment of other wildlife.

For us, the best part was the location, as we are not the type to spend a lot of time in our hotel room. Everything is within walking distance, which is important to us, as we like to avoid driving as much as possible once we are at our vacation destination. There are shops, restaurants, and entertainment within walking distance. Best of all, it's all tourists here, and we saw none of the undesirable element that detracts from family vacations across the bay. The area seemed very safe for our teenage daughter and I would recommend this resort for families.

Thank you to the management of the Coronado Marriott for providing exactly what we were looking for!

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We arrived at the Marriot Coronado Island Resort onJune 12th. Lovely hotel. I love the fact that it is on the non busy, congestion part of the island. We were able to check in before 4pm which was great. Samantha was very friendly and proceeded to check us in. However, she put us in a handicapped accessible room without telling us. I have a toddler who I bathe in a tub not a shower, and the beds barely came midway my shins. So we went back down to the lobby and asked for another room that was not handicapped accessible. Samantha was happy to do so. She told me all the head housekeeper needed to do was to check to see if the other room was ready, it should take all of 10 minutes. After forty-five minutes, I go back up to the desk, and Samantha was not there. Also, Samantha gives lousy parking directions, she never told me to turn and go under the building. So back to the desk, to see if our room was ready. AMY was awesome, I told her what had happened and Samantha was trying to see if one was ready and never got back to me. Amy found us a room right away, and explained EXACTLY where to park. So if you stay here ask for Amy, she was very helpful and friendly. Yes as in other post the rooms are out dated, but very spacious. When checking in Samantha told us the rooms had 2 over-sized double beds, WRONG over sized TWIN beds...the beds barely fit myself and a child COMFORTABLY. The beds are small and there is no way that 2 average size adults fit on them comfortably. I loved the fact that you could walk the water front, to the "Boardwalk". If going back, I would think about staying again, but PLEASE get queen beds, lose those over sized twin beds. Also upon day of checking out, the housekeeping knocked at 9am, could they not wait until we check out? We put a privacy card up and went upon our business. Also, I love the bathroom layout, the soaking tub separate from the shower, and the bathroom was huge...

Room Tip: make sure you specify a non handicapped room
Los Angeles suburbs
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Looking to escape the summer heat inland, we headed to Coronado Island for a night. The location was perfect! We walked to shops, restaurants, and a small beach--perfect for kids. While I do agree you pay for the location, I was hoping for a few extra perks but parking, WiFi and breakfast were additional. As a frequent Marriott rewards member our stay meet our expectations: lovely room, grounds beautifully maintained, accommodating staff, and clean pool.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Marriott Coronado Island Resort? Share your experiences!