“Great location!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Coronado
Denver, Colorado
“Great location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

After hours of trying to figure out where to stay for our mini-break, we settled on the Coronado Marriott. Overall, we enjoyed our experience. We booked an executive suite because we wanted to have a separate bedroom for our 15-month old to nap in. We were so pleased with our clean, spacious room (on the top floor) with 2 balconies! We had a gorgeous view of the city, bay and the resort gardens. We loved the koi pond, and we enjoyed watching the ducks (and ducklings!) and flamingoes. The grounds were very nicely kept, and the pool was a good size. It was very easy to walk to restaurants and shops at the ferry landing or on Orange Street. There was also a nice playground a short walk away. Almost all of the staff members that we dealt with were friendly, professional, and helpful. If we visit San Diego again, we'd love to stay at the Coronado Marriott!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Thousand Oaks, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Trip dates: 1/15 - 1/16 (1 night stay) -- Room No. 182

Location, location, location!

I have visited San Diego hundreds of times in my lifetime, but I have never stayed on Coronado Island. My friends raved about the historic Hotel Coronado, but I was wary of the price and got a great deal at the Marriott instead. Our family brought bicycles and we thought we'd simply ride to the beach in front of the Hotel Coronado and save the dollars on staying there.

We did just that. However, what we discovered was that the beach at the Hotel Coronado was exactly the type of beach that we like to avoid, as it was far too crowded for our tastes. We went back to the Marriott Resort and enjoyed the bay side of the island instead. The beaches by the resort were small but clean and uncrowded. If you have small children/toddlers, it is ideal, as there are no waves on the bay side of the island, where the Marriott is located, and it is very clean. There is a ferry and a water taxi that will take you from the resort across the bay to Gaslamp or the other more desirable parts of the downtown coastal part of San Diego.

We go the cheapest room we could, and were upgraded to a ground floor room with a view of the bay and pool area. The resort allowed us to check in early - 11:00 am, which was perfect for us. However, when we checked in, we noticed that the counters in the bathroom had some hair from the previous visitors. There was a housekeeping person cleaning the next room, so we brought it to her attention, and she came in and wiped down the counters. I noticed that no cleaning chemicals were used, so we used towels to cover the sink areas before putting our toiletries on the sink.

Service at the resort was excellent. The staff were friendly, helpful, accommodating, and fast/efficient at responding to our needs. On the day of our checkout, we were allowed to do a late checkout - 1:00 pm, without any extra charge.

The saltwater pool was wonderful. It's well landscaped and situated, and the pool bar is great. The pool lounge chairs were so comfortable that I could have slept on them instead of our bed! It's nice to use a pool and not feel the effects of chlorine on your skin after you use it!

The room was spacious and everything worked right. The ground floor patio was private and huge; we put three bicycles on the patio and they didn't impact our patio space at all! The beds were comfortable and the large restroom has a separate tub and shower. They had a walk-in aviary outside our room where we enjoyed some time with various finches. The grounds have water features everywhere, koi ponds, pink flamingos, and an assortment of other wildlife.

For us, the best part was the location, as we are not the type to spend a lot of time in our hotel room. Everything is within walking distance, which is important to us, as we like to avoid driving as much as possible once we are at our vacation destination. There are shops, restaurants, and entertainment within walking distance. Best of all, it's all tourists here, and we saw none of the undesirable element that detracts from family vacations across the bay. The area seemed very safe for our teenage daughter and I would recommend this resort for families.

Thank you to the management of the Coronado Marriott for providing exactly what we were looking for!

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We arrived at the Marriot Coronado Island Resort onJune 12th. Lovely hotel. I love the fact that it is on the non busy, congestion part of the island. We were able to check in before 4pm which was great. Samantha was very friendly and proceeded to check us in. However, she put us in a handicapped accessible room without telling us. I have a toddler who I bathe in a tub not a shower, and the beds barely came midway my shins. So we went back down to the lobby and asked for another room that was not handicapped accessible. Samantha was happy to do so. She told me all the head housekeeper needed to do was to check to see if the other room was ready, it should take all of 10 minutes. After forty-five minutes, I go back up to the desk, and Samantha was not there. Also, Samantha gives lousy parking directions, she never told me to turn and go under the building. So back to the desk, to see if our room was ready. AMY was awesome, I told her what had happened and Samantha was trying to see if one was ready and never got back to me. Amy found us a room right away, and explained EXACTLY where to park. So if you stay here ask for Amy, she was very helpful and friendly. Yes as in other post the rooms are out dated, but very spacious. When checking in Samantha told us the rooms had 2 over-sized double beds, WRONG over sized TWIN beds...the beds barely fit myself and a child COMFORTABLY. The beds are small and there is no way that 2 average size adults fit on them comfortably. I loved the fact that you could walk the water front, to the "Boardwalk". If going back, I would think about staying again, but PLEASE get queen beds, lose those over sized twin beds. Also upon day of checking out, the housekeeping knocked at 9am, could they not wait until we check out? We put a privacy card up and went upon our business. Also, I love the bathroom layout, the soaking tub separate from the shower, and the bathroom was huge...

Room Tip: make sure you specify a non handicapped room
Los Angeles suburbs
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Looking to escape the summer heat inland, we headed to Coronado Island for a night. The location was perfect! We walked to shops, restaurants, and a small beach--perfect for kids. While I do agree you pay for the location, I was hoping for a few extra perks but parking, WiFi and breakfast were additional. As a frequent Marriott rewards member our stay meet our expectations: lovely room, grounds beautifully maintained, accommodating staff, and clean pool.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

My husband was travelling on business and I decided to tag along for a mini vacation. We booked a packaged deal that included parking, internet, and $60 a day in resort credit. The package was a good deal because parking alone was $25. The $60 credit was just enough to get us a nice breakfast both mornings in their dinning room.
The room itself was a little on the old side and could use a bit of a facelift, but the location is great. The view from our room was very nice. We had a balcony that overlooked the water and in the evening the flowers gave off a wonderful smell.
The concierge was very helpful, when we asked where to eat he told us that just a 5 minute walk was a little area with a few restaurants, very convenient.
The one downside to our stay was that on our first night, at 3 am the fire alarm went off and we were told to leave our rooms. 10 minutes later the alarms stopped and all we were told was that it was a false alarm. I thought that they would have been a little more apologetic, especially considering my husband is a gold elite member. Haven't decided if I'd stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

My husband and I traveled to San Diego for business (for him) and relaxation (for me). We just needed a getaway and the Marriott was convenient. To be honest, we weren't terribly excited about our hotel choice, but based on price and location, it worked. From the moment we arrived, everything about our stay was outstanding. Service, cleanliness, appearance, staff. I even sought out the manager to tell him so. The gym, while modest, offered great classes and staff, the restaurant was nice and overall we thoroughly enjoyed this property.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a water view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

This is my first review but I feel so strongly about this, I feel obliged to. To start, the location is great with a nice view across the bay. It is easy to get to. There is just a short drive to Orange St. The staff is also very nice. The issue is everything is an extra charge. Parking $25 per night, WiFi $12.95, continental buffet (what you would typically expect to be free or low cost) is $17. My family and I travel frequently and there are better deals, and stays, out there. The room and location are not worth the extra charges.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Marriott Coronado Island Resort? Share your experiences!