“exceeded expectations” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
San Diego, California
“exceeded expectations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

My bf and stayed here one night for a 'staycation'. It was my first time to Coronado Island, and we booked the resort on points.

We were allowed early check-in and a complimentary upgrade to a bay view room, most likely because of the status of the reward account. We were also permitted late check-out, which was a definite plus. Everyone at the reception was friendly and helpful.

Our room: really large and clean. The bed was super comfortable. We had a great great view from the patio and enjoyed sitting out there admiring the bay. The bathroom was also very large and spacious. The only thing lacking was enough coffee cups to make coffee in the morning. We only had one so I ended up brewing and pouring into glasses so we could both have coffee.

The pool area was also nice and relaxing looking- we only went to the whirl pool in the evening, and sat out to gaze at the view in the morning after brunch.

We ate at the resort restaurant by the pools in the morning to save time and also so we could enjoy the view more. I had the continental breakfast buffet, which I found okay. Definitely overpriced for what you get (not surprising), but I did appreciate the variety of cream cheese. As I will elaborate on more below, what I think the Marriott brand should work on is distinction. They are consist in the level of service they provide, but really should work on making themselves unique- they need to work on presentation more, or, for example adding just ONE local or 'luxurious' item to their breakfast buffet would be a nice touch- local pastries instead of a bunch of really sub par tasting muffins that looked like they came from a low quality grocery store. I tried two and didn't take more than one bite each because they were so bad.

I want to take a moment to discuss the Marriott brand, in case any Marriott reps read this- obviously we had a nice time at this resort. I have also stayed at different Marriott hotels at different brand levels in several cities (see my other reviews). They are always generally very consistent in level of service, amenities, and cleanliness, which I really appreciate. What I find, however, is that the Marriott brand lacks personality. I have noticed in recent trips that they've been trying to add some pizazz to their lobbies, for example, but somehow I feel like they've been missing the mark, especially INSIDE the rooms. They all look nice and clean and updated, but they're ... boring. If it weren't for the point system, I don't know that I'd ever want to stay at a Marriott on a romantic vacation, for example. Details matter, and one small, seemingly insignificant but SPECIAL detail can guarantee a return stay, ESPECIALLY at the "resort" level. Yes, the chocolates left on the bed after turn down service were tasty- but would have received extra points if... for example... they were from a local chocolatier like Chuao chocolates, instead of being in a boring gold wrapper with the Marriott logo on it. This is, of course, just my opinion.

Tip: If you have a car, try finding free street parking first, and save yourself $25.

Room Tip: ask for a top floor with a bay view!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
Santa Clarita, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I love this hotel!
I loved the option of self parking my car.
Don't be fooled by the rather plain look of the front of the hotel. Once you enter the lobby, it is gorgeous! Front desk staff were top notch! I got upgraded to a bay view room and it was beautiful. The room was a bit on the small side, but very comfortable.
The whole resort has a laid back , relaxing feel to it. The pool was very nice and I loved that there was food service available poolside. Spa was wonderful.
Lots of restaurants within walking distance. Something for everyone. I will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I spent another weekend at this hotel recently for a conference. This was my 4th time staying and I still enjoy it. It is conveniently located off the bridge and a short drive to gas lamp. Cab rides from Gaslamp will cost you around $15 each way. I have written in dept reviews of this hotel before so I wont into too many details.
Checkin: I valeted the car (probably should have self parked, but it worked out to $28 instead of $22). Check in took all of 2 mins and I was ushered straight to my room.
Room: I was in one of the rooms furthest from the lobby on the 2nd floor. It was kind of a pain to be that far away. But if you want quiet, thats where you want to be (room 244). I had a great bay view. The bed was comfy as always. I love having a fridge in the room (emptied and ready for you to use). One of the best aspect of the room was the fabulous shower head and water pressure. I love taking a shower there. Bottle water was $6 each (fiji) but there was a coffee machine complimentary. I also love having a little couch that pulled out to a bed.
Service: Great. Everyone from the valet people to the other staff.

The way the hotel is set up (with ponds and fountains in the middle) is very peaceful. You will see ducks and flamingos roaming around freely. Quite nice.

Great place for a conference to be held. Would return even if it wasn't conference related.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I recently stayed at this property for a midweek R and R and found it to be exactly what I needed. Large, clean rooms with fantastic views, a friendly and attentive staff and a good restaurant. I enjoyed being able to wander the grounds and the easy access to the attractions on the island. I arrived early and checked in well before the posted time which was much appreciated and relaxed for my entire stay.
This would be a great location for those looking for a quick get-away or a romantic weekend in San Diego!

Room Tip: Bay view rooms are great and offer views of San Diego and all the ships coming up the waterway.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Marshall, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I went for business. The rooms were clean and the service in the hotel was good. It was easy walking distance to several shops and eateries. The concierge was very helpful. The menu was limited in restaurant but the food was good. The only down side after eating there for several days while at the conference I wish they had more of a selection. The atmosphere and setting was wonderful. Overall a very good experience. The bedroom was roomy and the beds were comfortable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Aside from one complaint I heard from a coworker (found a dirty band aid in his room, for two days), this hotel was very nice. the concierge was very helpful to me, the food served was great. never have I has better scallops! The Pacific Cobb salad was good, even if it had a little too much dressing. The waitstaff was a little lacking on.our last day, but overall it was fabulous!

• Stayed February 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Earlier this month we had a 2 night stay at the Marriott Hotel on Coronado before joining a cruise sailing from San Diego. A large comfortable bedroom overlooked the Bay, with wonderful views of San Diego. Extremely helpful, friendly reception staff and conceirge (Norma??), who made enquires for us, as to where we could find a camera shop in San Diego. We were too busy sightseeing, to make much use of the excellent facilities the hotel has to offer. We highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for comfort, peace and quiet, attractive grounds to wander in or just sit by the pool. A path along the waterfront takes you to the ferry landing, cost $8 to get over the Bay. It was a $25-28 taxi/cab ride from the airport, but well worth staying on Coronado. We could not have found anywhere better to have stayed.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the Bay, especially for the night time views
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Marriott Coronado Island Resort? Share your experiences!