“Great service” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 19 hotels in Coronado
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

Our family of six stayed in two connecting rooms over a long Labor Day weekend. The first night we stayed in garden view rooms, which were ok, but upon my asking at check in they said we could move up to bay view our second night, and they would move our bags for us while we were out! Even though it was a minor inconvenience to pack up after the first night, the payoff was priceless, as we were moved over to rooms facing the Bay Bridge and on the end of the building.

The concierge was right on with his recommendations, steering us towards a great family restaurant that was within walking distance and not overly expensive. Also, grabbing takeout and eating dinner with the family on the patio (despite not having enough chairs) was unforgettable. My oldest daughter also enjoyed drawing what she saw at night from the patio after the younger kids went to bed. The resort had a wonderful location on a walking path that lined San Diego. Finally, the pool was good for the kids and not very deep. It was not crowded in the early mornings around 9 AM.

The rooms were a little smaller than I would have liked. I would have preferred some more practicality, such as larger refrigerators and more chairs on the patios. Also, the first night they did not have the crib I requested ready on arrival, although someone came and set it up for us within 15 minutes of my calling. I thought the $22 per night parking was egregious, but I didn't really have a choice.

While it was a great location, if I could find a comparable family-friendly hotel in the San Diego downtown, Mission Bay or Coronado Island with larger rooms, I would probably stay there.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

694 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Oxford, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Love the location. Does have a great view of the bay, San Diego skyline, and Coronado bridge. The walking trail is nice and gives access to local shopping area, ferry and playground. Our room was nice, clean and comfortable but I would not say it was exceptional. The service was not exceptional, it was adequate. I expected meticulous surroundings but there were dirty dished in front of rooms, in plants by the fire pit, scattered around the pool. The pool area had used towels laying on chairs, overflowing trash cans, empty water cooler at 9:00am on a Saturday. I expected attention to detail for the surroundings. I would stay again for the surrounding but I did not feel like the room and service deserved the price of the room.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Gilbert AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We arrived here Saturday at about 1pm and departed Wednesday morning. We checked in very quickly.

ROOM 355 which was directly across from the spa. The room was very spacious; ample drawers, cabinets and closet for clothes and things; empty fridge like we prefer. We had zero problems with anything in our room. Everything was nice, clean and functioned perfectly.

BED was very comfortable even after sleeping in every day, which normally hurts my back. We are spoiled at home and so hotels rarely match our comfort.

BATHROOM was clean and specious with a nice tub and shower; quality hygiene items.

BALCONY was very room and nice overlooking the ponds and fauna. DON’T FEED THE BIRDS. We did that once which invited a few more (huge) birds and which then would not shut up. We were forced inside just over a minute after I gave 2 birds a piece of bread.

SPA was dated but decent. Dry sauna was excellent. My wife said the women’s sauna did not get as hot. Large lockers; hygiene items including a shaving dispenser. The gym was not very big but was great for us and was not crowded. We used it every day. The lap pool was great. On Tuesday (& Thursdays) they had free water yoga class headed by Mariela which was excellent.

LOCATION: As others have mentioned, the location is excellent. Just over the bridge from San Diego which makes it a breeze to go there when you want to. If you want to go back over the bridge then it is best to hang an immediate right coming out of the Marriott. If you go back to I-75 by going straight on Glorietta, you will have to go down several streets before you are allowed to turn left. And if you try it early in the morning when the Navy is getting to work, fuggetaboutit! You are in walking distance to many restaurants and shops on Orange street and just a few blocks from the Old Ferry Landing Shopping Area, which has several restaurants too.

We would definitely consider staying here again. Liked it better than Loew’s which we stayed in last time.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

The good: Great location. We loved being on Coronado vs. in the city for the mere fact that we could enjoy beach, shops, restaurants, etc all on a small, pedestrian and bike friendly island (peninsula). The beach and Hotel Del Coronado are a short (2 mile) walk from the Marriott. Even better, there is a great trail that runs along the shoreline. Great Marriott Service - exactly what you expect from a Marriott. Nice size rooms with spacious bathrooms (soaking tub!!!), sitting area, and balcony. Breakfast buffet was good and not too crazy priced for a hotel. Pool area was beautiful, overlooking the city skyline. Pool bar is a plus as well. Ferry to Sand Diego is a plus as well - although we never used it. We just drove the short distance to the city and then up to the northern beaches. The bed is comfortable. :-)

The bad: Hotel overall seems older and does not compare to other similarly rated and priced Marriott resort hotels (We thought the Dana Point Marriott was MUCH nicer.). Parking is $22 a day. Really? Why not include that in the room price? The AC system struggled to maintain a comfortable temperature. The water also took awhile to heat up - we had to run the shower for a few minutes before we got hot water, and we had to run the faucet about 5 minutes before getting hot water.

Overall, we would stay here again because we were able to use Marriott Points for our stay (and are Marriott loyal) and loved the location. We stopped into the San Diego Marriott Marquis while walking downtown and felt that the SD hotel was MUCH busier and louder - more like a Vegas hotel - whereas the Coronado Marriott was relaxing and much more of the resort feel.

Room Tip: If you can get a water view, do it!
Scottsdale,Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I spent 4 days during the week and my Family joined me for 3 nights over the Labor Day Weekend at the Marriott Coronado Island Resort. The views of the Coronado Bridge and San Diego Bay and Skyline are fabulous. It is a perfect place for families. We stayed in the Villas which were very large. There was a kitchen area with a refrigerator, microwave oven, and sink. The bathrooms were very large with both a shower and Jacuzzi tub. There was a king sized bed, sofa bed, large HD TV and my favorite, a large patio with a table and 4 chairs in each room. If you stay in the Villas there is its own pool and heated spa. This was much quieter than the main pool on this Holiday Weekend. The only drawback to the hotel was the parking situation. I thought $22 per night for self parking was very high at this type of resort hotel. Also the parking gate never worked with my key. I would push a button for help and whoever I would talk to would give me a hard time because my key didn't work - it certainly was not my fault, but this new gate system was not working properly. I said something a check-out and they did remove the charges for parking for 2 of my seven night stay. Other than the parking issue, it was a perfect week and weekend staying at this resort hote.

Room Tip: The Villas are more expensive, but a great value for a family - it can sleep 4 in the room using the...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Burr Ridge, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Very nice hotel. Great views of the bay. Room was not ready at 7.30pm. Hotel did give us a 100$ credit. . Our room was spacious with a large soaking tub. I really like some of the changes that weren't at the hotel since I last stayed here ten years ago. For example, the bar by the pool was perfect for our resort day of hanging out at the hotel. The people at the Marriott were always helpful, professional, and courteous.

Dupont, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My family and I went to San Diego for my son's wedding. We stay at the Marriott Coronado, the service was outstanding. The atmospher was super for my grandchildren at the pool side. They had something for everyone, crafts for granddaughter, ping pong for my grandsons, hammocks for my husband and of course swimming for everyone else. My family fell in love with this place. We will be back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Marriott Coronado Island Resort? Share your experiences!