“You get what you pay for” 3 of 5 stars

Coronado Inn
266 Orange Avenue, Coronado, CA 92118   |
Ranked #14 of 18 hotels in Coronado
Texas
“You get what you pay for”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I have stayed twice at the Coronado Inn and the second time, I found myself much more contented. Let's be honest--it must be one of if not the cheapest hotel on the island, so it's not surprising that it lacks a few amenities. My room was clean with one lamp that worked pretty well. The tvs are old with clumsy remotes; my bed was comfortable and the shower, while very small, worked fine. If you're looking for a bit of chic, stay elsewhere. If you're looking for an inexpensive and basic hotel, you couldn't do better.

Room Tip: It's what used to be called a "motor court," so cars park close to the rooms on the in...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

79 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Ok, I went to Coronado to attend a conference at the Hotel del Coronado. I got the ticket late, so all the other hotels were booked. I knew going into this adventure that it wouldn't be the nicest of places, and I figured, since I was on a business trip, all I really cared about was a clean bed and a shower. Coronado is a pleasant place, so it was in a decent area, but that's about all it has to offer. The "continental breakfast" is cold cereal and bad bagels served on the front steps of the office, in the parking lot. The place has been there a while, as is evidenced by the very worn everything. I wound up in the building in back of the property, with a screen door that had it's knob mounted in the same space where the door knob sat, so the two doors could not both close at the same time. Which isn't a big deal, except the screen door flapped open and semi-closed all night long. Several blinds were broken, they didn't even replace the tiny bars of soap daily... I was there for 4 days, used the same nub of soap the entire time. It was a mile walk to to Hotel del Coronado, which was pleasant. There are a lot of restaurants, pubs, stores, and a movie theater within 10 minute walk of the property, so that was nice. The TVs barely worked, the remotes not at all, and they did nothing about it when I asked. Since I spent so little time in the room, I chose to ignore the issues and make the most of my time in Coronado. I would have had an entirely different attitude if i were staying there for leisure or if I had to spend any significant time on the property. I wouldn't recommend this place for anyone, I'd stay away.

Room Tip: Go to another facility
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Traverse City, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

got there late, put us in a room, the heater blew out smoke and set the smoke detector off, blinds broken, the other room the heater did not work at all. got home from vacation and the double charged us for one night!!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

This inn was a very good value. We debated staying in downtown San Diego, but chose this place instead because the location is perfect for a stroll on the beach in the morning or evening and with parking included is a great value for the San Diego area and very close to downtown sites. It is really the best of both worlds.

• Stayed June 2012
Denio, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

August was my 2nd time staying here, the other was two summers ago. Coronado is a very expensive island to stay on, so the rates here are more than reasonable. Unfortunately, you get what you pay for. The first stay was across the street from the main lobby, and the rooms were really small, and pretty basic. You had to walk across the street (2 cross walks) to the main building, pool, continental breakfast, etc...It wasn't so bad that it stuck in my memory, although my family complained a lot... So this last trip, I thought "what the heck". I got a room with 2 queens, and it was located near the lobby building and pool. This time, I won't forget my complaints! I had ants like crazy in the room, and right outside. I could have overlooked it, but there were so many- in my suitcase, in my makeup bag, just everywhere.The room was sparse, but decent, but the mattresses weren't sleep-inducing in the least. But being August, and hating heat, I was just happy the AC worked, because I couldn't cool off in the pool. It hadn't been skimmed, and all the ants that weren't in my room were floating in the pool, along with every other bug on the block. Luckily, I had family on the island staying at the Marriott, which had an amazing pool. Long story kind of short, the facilities left a lot to be desired, but the staff was really helpful and nice, so... if you want an inexpensive stay in Coronado, and are willing to sacrifice a little comfort, this would be the spot... If you want a clean pool and a comfy bed, be willing to pay a bit more.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Las Vegas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

The inn is located on Orange, which is the main street on Coronado. The rooms are clean and functional. They have a TV, and microwave, and a small fridge. The shower is very small. The rooms are noisy and the inn allows dogs, which makes for a noisy experience. The beds are not very comfortable. It's a long walk to the beach and restaurants located near Hotel Del Coronado.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the complex so you don't get road noise from Orange.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Coronado, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

When we have had out-of-town guests visiting, we generally try to keep them on Coronado vs. "across the bridge" on the San Diego side. In picking Coronado hotel/motel locations for our guests, because of their complaints about the conditions existing at the Coronado Inn, we choose other properties. The Coronado Inn is anything but nice, the mold and mildew that is growing within their walls is only "painted over" to encapsulate vs. properly removed and, the room rate is pure robbery.

Staying at this property is really not a good idea!

Room Tip: Stay at the nearby Marriott Island Resort Hotel!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Coronado Inn? Share your experiences!