“Perfect” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Lombok Lodge

Save Saved
You added The Lombok Lodge to your Saves list
The Lombok Lodge
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Jl. Oberoi | Desa Medana - Tanjung, Pemenang, Lombok 83001, Indonesia   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Pemenang
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My husband, two sons (ages 3 and 10) and I spent 5 days at the Lombok Lodge as the finale of a 6-week trip in Asia. From the handwritten notes of greeting to the line-up of owners and staff waving us goodbye, it was a flawless experience. There are only 9 suites, so it does not have a corporate feel at all, in fact, we met the owners on several occasions and they are very relaxed, friendly people who care about every detail. There isn't a member of staff I wouldn't commend. The service was great without being stiff or overbearing. The massages were heavenly. The hotel is very chic--a stylish Asian, Belgian and Italian fusion--but we never felt uncomfortable being there with our boys, in fact the staff delighted and spoiled them with games and icy treats. They felt very welcome. It is a serene place, however, not one to book if you are a group of families whose combined pack will be loud and rambunctious (unless you booked the whole place, which would be amazing). Many of the guests are couples celebrating anniversaries and honeymoons. My husband and eldest son enjoyed the day trip to the pearl farm. As we had come from Bali and the Gilis we were happy to stay put and enjoy the gorgeous surroundings, but if you can be budged from any of the hotel's immaculate terraces, a snorkelling trip to Gili Air would make another good outing. I strongly disagree with the previous review complaining about the breakfast variety, menu combinations and location of sockets (really?!). We wouldn't normally admit to being picky (my OCD husband works in product design) but after such a memorable stay, must insist that this hotel has a very high standard. It is not a megaresort with a mile long breakfast buffet. Breakfast was bountiful without being vulgar, pleasing to both adults and kids. All of the salads were healthy and refreshing. The drinks and cocktails were great. The dinners were creative and delicious, on par with everything we eat in London. While there, we both commented on what a relief it was to be at a resort with food that wasn't too rich or boring by day two. Our kids liked the menu, too. We had an evening return flight and requested a day trip to villages specialising in textiles and everything was arranged without a hitch. Thank you, everyone at Lombok Lodge. We had a wonderful stay and would love to return.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
BenOlaerts, Owner at The Lombok Lodge, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Awarrendematheus,

What a great pleasure to read your review!

I am delighted to hear that you had such a wonderful time and flawless experience during your family stay with us.
You have really made our day with this review!

I have noted that you strongly disagree with the previous review and I really appreciate your point of view. Thank you for your support.

Dear Awarrendematheus,
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us here on Tripadvisor.
The team and I were delighted to have served you and we all look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Lodge on your next visit to Lombok.

With best regards,

e: ben@thelomboklodge.com

401 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Silverstone, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Lombok is a totally different island compared to Bali, it is a place to literately get away from everything. We chose the Lombok Lodge for a 5 day stay during our 40 day stay in Bali, the trip was to celebrate our wedding anniversary; this was the first holiday we have taken on our own as a couple without family/friends. Communications between the hotel and I before our arrival was very good, with this in mind it left us with confidence and excitement of our upcoming visit.

Unfortunately upon our arrival there were many issues that we encountered with the Lombok Lodge, if you are looking for a high standard accommodation then this will not be for you!

Please refer to our review.

POSITIVES
A Wonderful Balinese Manager called Pak Mangsur who was absolutely flawless, meeting Pak Mangsur was one of the highlights of our stay at the lodge. Unfortunately, we never got to see Pak Mangsur again as his 10-day holiday started the day after we arrived.

Beautifully located for quite days and the view from the bedrooms were lovely.

Only 9 lodges.

The Bar was lovely and accommodating and the cocktails were fabulous!! (Unfortunately not always staffed, we should not have to locate staff for service)

Most of the staff appeared friendly but there were serious communication issues on occasions due to the language barrier.

The gardens were well maintained.

NEGATIVES
Complimentary transport should have been offered due to the rural location and factor that should be included in the cost.

Although the chef was lovely, the food was at times rather confusing and unpleasant, combinations were rather mismatched, it would be better to keep dishes simple and tasty. Breakfast was acceptable but there was a lack of variation, I would have like to view awards and reviews from hotel industry experts regarding the food.

Considering the number of lodges/guests areas within the lodge were not fully staffed at all times, food orders took a longer than expected to arrive once our orders were placed.

Standard of rooms were really shocking, the paintwork, woodwork, furniture, fixtures and fittings were all of a very low standard. The location of plug sockets were somewhat really bizarre’ and frustrating as they were under a table…. we had to crawl and lie on the floor to locate them!!! We found the accommodation the most disappointing aspect of the hotel. As a place to relax and get away, the accommodation should be completed to a high standard with a “home away from home feel”. We do understand that not everyone has a high standard of expectation but when you are running a business you must ensure that the standard to second to none and value for money. Again, I would like to view awards, reviews and even recommendations regarding the accommodation.

We encountered a large number of ants and other insects in our room along with a lizard that had taken up residence, we are not sure how long it was there for and we never kept the external door open; and to be honest we never sat on out on the balcony. There was a large gap around the shower door, a seal placed round the shower door would have prevented insects from entering the room but having this gap the air conditioning had to work that much harder to keep the room cool. Yes, I know we are in a tropical climate we spent 40 days in Indonesia in all 5 star hotels with the exception this one and never encountered these issues!

The standard of accommodation is not reflected in the price paid, we paid $454 per night for a 5 night stay which included lunch and dinner, I am sorry but I you can pay a lot less in a “5-Star Hotel” and receive luxurious accommodation and service. We can appreciate that The Lombok Lodge is not a 5-Star hotel and choose to charge 5-Star prices but the standard does not reflect the cost, the lodge should be immaculate regardless. If owner and guest impressions are that the hotel has been finished to a high standard, I am left rather dumfounded.

Unfortunately, my husband had experienced that the swimming pool was sharp underfoot in some areas and again finished to an unacceptable standard.

We were really looking forward to our visit to this hotel purely due to the pictures and reviews of this hotel but were extremely disappointed due to the interior of the lodge, which is such as shame as the location is idyllic.

F.A.O. OWNERS: - Please take our comments as constructive criticism, in doing so this will enable you to adopt and implement the relevant improvements to the lodge in the near future. Please feel free to read our reviews on other establishments we have visited.

I am fully aware that you cannot please everyone and we are happy that many of your guests have enjoyed their stay but you have to embrace and acknowledge good, bad and indifferent reviews that are expressed, we have to be extremely honest with our experience. I do understand that you will feel the need to justify our good/bad experience of your hotel but at the end of the day this is our honest opinion of our visit. You are free to comment about our experience but this will make no difference to our review.

It would be really nice to view accolades, awards, achievements, comments and ratings from the ‘Travel Industry Experts/Critics’ rather than just your guests regarding your food, accommodation and service.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
BenOlaerts, Owner at The Lombok Lodge, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Samantha R,
Thank you for taking the time to share your new post about your stay with us at The Lombok Lodge here on Tripadvisor.

It is with deep regret, that I note that you have decided to post another negative review about your experience with us in October 2013.
(Your previous review was posted on 29th of May 2014, however you decided to delete this one a few days later).

Once again, I sincerely apologise to you and your husband for not delivering the anniversary experience you expected

In this new review, you have added a special remark for me as owner of the property.
Thank you for this. Trust that I take your and all other comments indeed as constructive criticism.
As mentioned in my previous respond, we value any criticism and all feedback, good or bad, as we are constantly striving to provide better service to our guests.

I really hope that your next trip will offers up that experience that you were looking for.
To keep this review relevant to the travel community, I am re-posting my previous respond.

My respond to your review demonstrates to you - as our valued previous guest - as well as to prospective guests how much we take customer service seriously. Thank you for your kind understanding as the intention of this respond is not to change your point of view.

—-

Dear Samantha R,

It is with much regret that I read your report on Trip Advisor regarding your stay at The Lodge in October 2013.

I understand that your stay with us was a very special wedding anniversary for you and your husband. You mentioned at the time of booking that it was the first time you had been away in 9 years, since your honeymoon. So, I can understand how important this trip was for you both.

We value any criticism and all feedback.
However, it sounds like The Lombok Lodge was not what you where looking for.

We would have appreciated the opportunity to address your concerns with Pak Mangsur while you were a guest with us at The Lodge, however we thank you for sharing your impressions on Tripadvisor.
** In this new review you added that Pak Mangsur had a 10-day holiday(?) during your stay.
I wish you would have asked for the manager in charge if couldn’t find Mangsur available during the 5 nights of your stay. Anyway, the entire team and I, we cannot even begin to explain how disappointed we were to read your review.

I do feel it necessary to share certain additional information to clarify the situation for the benefit of other readers;

Regarding room rate;
After checking with our reservation agent, the daily rate you booked was USD 454net, price per night for a stay in a Luxury Lodge Suite, Ocean view, including A la Carte Breakfast and 5-Course Dinner for two. Transfer services were indeed not included in the daily rate as clearly mentioned at the time of booking and - as mentioned as well at the time of booking - charged at USD 15++, price per car per way from Lombok Fast Boat Harbour.

Although the above, return transfer services by private car are included in all Promotion Packages at The Lodge.
The '5N/6D Time Together' Promotion Package, has been offered to you at the time of booking at USD 451net, price per night for a stay in a Luxury Lodge Suite, Ocean view and including A la Carte Breakfast and 5-Course Dinner for two AND including return transfer services AND many other package inclusions.

After the price issue with your original Agoda Booking and after you noticed our Best-Rate-Guarantee, you decided to cancel Agoda book directly with us at daily rate conditions, although no transfer services included in this rate and although the promotional accommodation package offered.

Dear Samantha R,
Furthermore, seems that - although you mentioned that our team was friendly for you - you experienced some service challenges while staying with us. We pride ourselves on our service, so it’s particularly disappointing to hear that food orders took too long in your opinion and that you had some communication issues while staying with us. I truly appreciate your feedback on this and I will discuss further and with our F&B department in order to improve. We are constantly striving to provide better service to our guests.

Regarding the food - in my opinion, the food combinations we offer are simple and tasty.
I am very surprised reading your personal point of view that combinations were mismatched, the more since The Lodge dinner experience is applauded by most of our guests.
Anyway, from my 19 years restaurant experience and hospitality background, I totally understand it’s impossible to please every guest.
Therefore, our chef meets daily with our guests during breakfast or dinner time to hear their preferences and special requests.
I sincerely regret that you have not informed us your ideas and preferences, for breakfast as well as for dinner, while staying with.
Trust that our Chef, Pak Jiwa, would have been more than pleased to prepare your special requests or combinations.

Regarding insects, although we try to avoid them and although our weekly fogging program, it’s indeed a more common thing in a tropical climate than in your home country. Our team is only ‘a push a button away’ to assist.
Please accept my apologies for this inconvenience.

While you enjoyed the idyllic location, our well-maintained gardens, the limited number of rooms at The Lodge, and the stunning ocean views of our Lodge Suites, your main disappointment seems to be standard of our Lodge Suites. For many of our previous, current and our many returning guests (and for myself) The Lodge was/is indeed a ‘home away from home’. However, seems our Lodge Suites were not for you.

The Lombok Lodge is unlike any other hotel you will see in Lombok; no alang-alang roofs, no statuary.
All Lodge Suites are designed by famous Italian architect ‘Vittorio Simoni’ and completed to a contemporary ‘Lodge’ standard using a lot of wood and natural materials.
I understand that there are people who don’t like this approach, but there are also many others who find it a refreshing change.
Although the luxury we offer by providing Hermès bathroom amenities, Nespresso coffee making facilities, Bose Sounddeck & Ipod, Schott Zwiesel Glassware etc., you probably expected a ‘different’ and more classic luxury, with marble bathrooms etc., similar to the one you have chosen and reviewed during your stay in Bali.

Anyway, the pictures on our website show up the way it is and seems that the style that you were looking for is different from the style we prefer to offer at The Lodge.

(Regarding the location of the plug sockets; indeed, the location is under a wooden shelf, as I do not want to have the interiors spoilt by plug sockets when entering the room.)

Dear Samantha R,
The Lombok Lodge infinity pool was recently recommended in the top three hotel pools of Indonesia by the September 2013 edition of Travelounge Magazine.
I am so sorry to read that our pool wasn’t what you expected.

Regarding your Room Tip - We offer 5 Lodge Suites, 2 Poolside Lodge Suites and one 2-Bedroom Family Lodge Suite, and one 3-Bedroom Lodge Suite. Therefore, allow me to make just a small correction since rooms are NOT all the same. The interiors of the Lodge Suites and the Poolside Lodge Suites is similar, although the Poolside ones offer a bit more comfort and convenience giving direct access to the pool area (see previous room tips). The 2- & 3-Bedroom Family Lodge Suites are located on the first floor and are a perfect choice for families travelling with children. Good to know - The Main interior colours are white & grey for the Lodge Suites & Poolside Lodge Suites, meanwhile Dark brown & Black for the Family Lodge Suites.

Dear Samantha R,
I sincerely apologise to you and your husband for not delivering the anniversary experience you expected and I wish you happier travels in the future.
Thank you for staying with us.
Please do not hesitate to contact me at ben@thelomboklodge.com if you have further feedback you’d like to share.

E: ben@thelomboklodge.com
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for the second leg of our honeymoon. Coming from the beautiful jungles of Ubud, we didn't know what to expect. We arrived in time for dinner the first night and experienced the first amazing dinner of our Lombok lodge stay. Incredible dinner with the most delicious flavors. We have since dined at one of the highest rated restaurants in North America and have to say the food and flavors here at Lombok Lodge outdo any fine dining we've had in the US. Everything else was as wonderful as that first meal. Great spa, awesome snorkeling at the Gilis and attentive staff at the pool. Would be worth coming back for the dinners alone. Well done Lombok Lodge!

• Stayed May 2014
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Reading reviews of Lombok Lodge is one thing, but to feel the 6-star service itself, is just pure pleasure. Once you met the Lodge staff, It's as good as though you were born a king and queen. Automatically, you forget how your boss looks like, and in most cases, you even forget you have a boss.

With the [ Press "0" for everything ] sentence keep ringing in my head for the whole stay, as said by one of the staff, you just have this assurance that every request is going to be delivered. And we really did put in some personal requests that would have been impossible to arrange in any other hotels. But in Lombok Lodge, nothing is impossible.

Other than the royalty treatment my wife and I received, the food and suites were simply, glorious!

Definitely felt there couldn't be any better place on earth for my honeymoon.

Lastly, I would like to say a million thanks to Mansur and his team, Chef Jiwa and also the team of lady masseuse for this perfect hospitality and making a dream honeymoon came true. Hope you guys are doing 200% great!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
BenOlaerts, Owner at The Lombok Lodge, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Nuradil2001,

Warmest greetings from all of us at The Lombok Lodge!
Thank you for choosing The Lombok Lodge for your recent stay in Lombok!

I am delighted to hear your honeymoon experience at The Lodge was beyond expectation.
What a great pleasure to read such kind words regarding our team and property!

Thank you for such a great support and for your appreciation.
We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you and your wife back for another memorable stay!

With best regards,

E: ben@thelomboklodge.com
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My husband and I stayed here for 7 days to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary.

The wonderful staff ensure the standard here is of the highest standard. From the five star food, comfort and ambiance of the accommodation itself, attention to detail in all areas of service, to the peace and tranquility and high quality of spa service in this small boutique resort - nothing disappointed.

To Manseur and his talented and hard working team, Yakub and all the staff, especially Yuri,
Terima Kasih Banyak for making our anniversary (+ complimentary wonderful dinner surrounded by dozens of candles, fireworks, special 'cake' and heartwarming serenade by all the staff!) week so incredibly special!!

Sampai Jumpa Lagi! (See you again soon!)

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The Lombok Lodge is like nowhere I have stayed before. The hotel is beautiful, as you would expect from an expensive 5* hotel in Lombok, but the staff, food, pool and ambience was unique and what made this such a special place to be. The people who worked at the Lombok Lodge were exceptional, it was the little touches such as smoothies, ice cream, cold towels and cold water by the pool that sets this place apart. The food was amazing, everything was freshly made and perfectly presented.

The only problem with the Lombok Lodge is that they have set the bar so high, wherever I go on holiday next, it won't be as good as the Lodge.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

This place is better than 5 stars. It's the nicest place we have ever stayed in many ways. First of all, the management and the staff are superior. We found this place online and make all arrangements via email; they arranged flights for us and were always quick to respond to any questions or emails. We were met at the airport as planned and there is a comfortable car for transport to the lodge - you can choose a beach or forest road to reach the lodge. The forest road is lovely and you can drive through a monkey forest, but if you are prone to be carsick take a motion sickness medication before this route! The beach road takes longer but isn't as windy or with as much elevation change.

The staff at the lodge are lovely people who are so attentive you want for nothing. If you go to the pool, you are met by someone offering to arrange chair for you in the sun or shade as you like, you are brought cool towels and chilled water and any food or drink you desire. The rooms are fantastic - everything is thought of with a deep tub, great outdoor shower, comfortable bed, private porch, mini-bar, music and ipod, beach hats, beach bags, robes, etc. No amenity is spared here. The ONLY thing in the room not well designed was there is only one outlet for charging and it's hard to access, under a shelf.

The included breakfast is generous and well prepared with many options. The 5 course included dinners are prepared by a chef clearly devoted to food and are served poolside with live, but understated, music. We typically do not like live music as it makes conversation tough, but the music here was not obtrusive.

The spa services were top notch - the massage was one of the best I have ever had. We purchased an package that included a night on Gili Trawangan. If we had it to do again, we would skip this. Gili Trawangan is hot by comparison, very crowded and touristy, and the food and accommodations are nowhere near as good as the Lombok Lodge!

The location of the lodge is serene and tranquil. Though you can hear the nearby mosque, that's about all in the way of noise. The pool is lovely here. It is on the ocean but it isn't a good swim or snorkel from the lodge. A free shuttle to Gili Air where there is beach and snorkeling available is provided, but we enjoyed the pool so much there was no reason to leave it.

We stayed here several days to relax after a month long trip in Indonesia before heading home. It was the perfect place to read, rest, relax and lay by the pool. We wanted for nothing due the excellent twice daily room housekeeping and the superior staff. Management was always on site and everything ran smoothly. With only 9 rooms, this is the perfect size for a very quiet getaway. This was a trip highlight and will be fondly remembered for a long time. I literally can't imagine what else you could ever want in a tropical getaway lodge - all details were thought of.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Lombok Lodge? Share your experiences!