“Undergoing renovations” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Commerce
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“Undergoing renovations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

This hotel has all the amenities needed for most travellers, whether business or family. The hotel is undergoing some internal and external renovations and while I was there the pool and the upper 2 floors were unavailable. I booked my room through Priority Club using points and I was not informed of the work being done. Because of the work on the top floors I was not able to get the room I requested. The very friendly staff did the best he could to get me and my family settled in. If you are considering this hotel then I would book verbally with the hotel staff or verbally with Priority Club to ensure you don't run into the issues I did.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Commerce6121, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Los Angeles - Commerce Casino, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear Gary,

Thank you for your most recent stay with Crowne Plaza –Los Angeles Commerce Casino. We are very sorry to hear you were not informed about the hotels renovation. Our renovation will soon be completed, hopefully you and your family can come in the near future and see our new rooms. We are pleased to hear our staff was able to meet your expectations.

Thank you for taking the time, we appreciate the feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
melbourne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Very disappointed by this hotel. Old, tired and poorly cleaned/maintained. Walls in elevater lobby's and halls were banged up and covered in marks and dirty hand prints etc. 2-3 star at best.
Eating in lobby bar was a big mistake for us, with two of three meals well below what should be expected. Mushroom risotto should have mushroom in it, and is not fried rice!
Nice enough staff, but just a very scratchy hotel that needs a facelift.
No safe for valuables, no free wifi.

Room Tip: Find an alternative hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
I am sorry to hear that your stay has been less than satisfactory due to the hotel condition. Your comments will be passed to the appropriate department for necessary improvements. We are currently under renovation to all our guest rooms with a modern enhancement. We hope we have the opportunity in the future to provide you with a better experience.

Please feel free to contact the hotel directly and ask to speak with the front office manager.
Overland Park, Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Went to spend my 4th of July weekend here, very disappointed and unacceptable service. Worst service ever! I prepaid for the hotel through hotels.com, once arrived they said they do not have the room that I reserved in advance which was $158/nt with Jacuzzi, they told me they cannot do anything told me to call hotels.com. Hotels.com finally got me a different type of room/ not willing to show the price of the room that I stayed. Beds are horrible uncomfortable and small. Next day key cards doesn't work had to go back down from the 6th floor to get it re-set, the manager didn't even apologize just said "weird" not even apologize that that was from the manager himself. Bad from the beginning to end. No parking for customer, all front parking lot are for valet, others park like a mile away. This hotel ruin "Crowne Plaza" reputation. I will report it to the corporate office to see what they think. They tried to tell me that the Hotels.com website was not updated correctly, but it not true because I was in this hotel website itself same price same everything and the room were exactly the same and available at the time of my reservation because I was comparing prices between the two, so I remember. I'm glad I booked through Hotels.com because they took care of me. I felt like this hotel did not treat me as a customer, not willing to work or compensate anything with me because I booked through Hotels.com. I called back to see if they give me price adjustment, hotels.com representative contacted this hotel about the price adjustment and she said the hotel will not do anything for me! So Hotels.come went ahead and give me the credit adjustment for my inconvenient... Kudos to Hotels.com. The casinos part is really sad looking, no slots. Room small. Unhelpful, unapologetic, unfriendly front desk or the manager himself. This place in need of new management or new owner all together. I hope other Crowne Plazza are not like this. Couple of my friends stayed at Double Tree Hotels next door, no problem. I should have went there, but thought I gave Crowne Plaza a try. It was even $10/night cheaper at Double Trees Hotels and they got nice bed and clean room.

Room Tip: Only good thing about this place is that it's close to the Citadel outlet, but Double Tree hotel...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Portland, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

I have stayed at this property in the past.
Sadly, because of circumstances with this visit, I will not stay again.
If my business brings me to Commerce, I will stay at the Doubletree just down the road.
For this particular stay, lets start with the "pros."
... Staff at desk were pleasant. Mae (I'm not sure if I have the spelling correct) was very nice.
... Room was very clean. An improvement from last time.
... Valet parking was only $5.00. That is very reasonable. You can park yourself out back, but I would recommend the valet parking.
... Coffee maker nice. Starbucks coffee in room. Ceramic mugs in room.
... Water temperature for shower was hot.
... A/C worked fine (have to put a key in slot as you enter interior of room and leave it there for a/c to work.)
Here are the "cons:"
... strange odor to the water
... water pressure poor
... location is in a busy industrial part of town
... someone was in the first room that I checked into (I had to go to the desk to be issued another room)
... Upon checkout, I called for the valet to bring my car. I had a large suitcase, a small suitcase (equipment for my job) and a briefcase. There were three male valet attendants and they all stood nearby talking and watched me put my luggage in my car. I'm small in stature and had to struggle a bit to get my larger suitcase in.
With that said...I'm fine doing it myself...I travel alone for business all year long...I'm resilient and don't "have to" have help --- but, it would have been nice.
Once I got my luggage in, I glanced at them. Two of them were looking at me as they talked ... I have never seen anything like that in my life.
That afternoon, I called the manager. They did take some $$$ off my bill, which I appreciated.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Los Angeles - Commerce Casino, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
Dear Eulalia_3,

Thank you for writing a detailed review of your experience. It makes us happy to read that after some initial issues with the room accommodation, these were all sorted out and addressed accordingly. Your feedback regarding the cleanliness of the room and and front desk service is highly appreciated. On the other hand, it is regrettable that the water quality was a let down during your stay. As for your experience upon check-out, we apologize for shortcomings you may have experienced with the staff.

We have forwarded your concerns with the respective departments and will certainly take action to improve the quality and services we offer. Once again, we thank you for staying with us. We are looking forward to an opportunity in serving you better on your next visit to Commerce.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

The staff were very friendly as were the patrons, my husband and I spent one night here after hearing it was the largest card room in the world and wanting to learn how to play cards seeing we were in the area. Not only were we taught properly by the staff but they bent over backwards to make sure our stay was great. Everything was spotless, the prices were very good for LA, we had the best Chinese , authentic Chinese food we have ever had and had a great night. The management there went out of their way to make sure we were looked after, as a couple of Aussies travelling around, we were made to feel like locals and we had a great night.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Taiwan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

My stay at Commerce Crowne Plaza was average. The location is quite far away from L.A downtown and it's pretty much next to the highway. However, you can ask for free shuttle pick-up either at Union Station or at any location is within 10 miles. Give hotel a call when you're ready to be picked up.

When I checked in, I was disappointed with the fact that the hotel is under construction for about "two months". And so, I was informed that there's no outdoor pool or spa for use. I wish the hotel has informed me this earlier. Communication is way too important!

The restaurant, Wood Dragon, located next to the lobby was fantastic! During my three nights stay, I pretty much ate there every day. Service was great, food was fresh, and the environment was way better than the sporty bar/ cafe/ inside of Casino.

Commerce Casino was very outdated and it looks kind of cheap. I didn't really feel like spending my time there at all.

On the very last day, I had one hour massage at "Meridian Day Spa" on Level 2 above Casino. Ben from front desk was very friendly and helpful. It was a great place to spend time at while you were there. Make sure you treat yourself a nice hourly massage and spend half day inside of jacuzzi pool and steam rooms. Visiting the SPA was totally my highlight!

If you wanna stay here, please consider it won't be much entertainment for non-gamblers like myself. Overall, It was an average stay!

Room Tip: Use their free shuttle bus for pick-up if you're not driving in L.A
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Los Angeles - Commerce Casino, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Dear Koko S,

Thank you for writing a review on your recent stay. We take delight in knowing that despite the challenges regarding our location, you managed to find our complimentary shuttle service convenient. You seem to have particularly liked the food and service in our restaurant. We take pride in knowing that our food and beverage staff was able to provide the best culinary experience during your stay.

I do want to apologize for the shortcomings, with regards to the ongoing construction affecting the pool area and spa. We will certainly work on the points that you have raised to ensure we provide the best customer experience. We look forward to serving you again when you can enjoy all the hotel amenities.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Goodyear, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

The place is elegant. If your a poker player its the place to be. I came through for a night on the way to Phoenix. The valet parking would not touch my bike. I came in on a Harley. The parking manager directed me to a covered parking space in view of the staff. Way above and beyond expectations. The room was OK, nothing special. A nice view of the rear parking lot, but the view is not what one comes to this hotel. The poker floor was booming, the food was great and the staff was very attentive. The renovations were annoying, but the front desk staff spelled it all out when I checked in. I am looking forward to my next trip to the area to see all the reno's done. All in all, its a good hotel and destination. I recommend it.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Been to Crowne Plaza Los Angeles - Commerce Casino? Share your experiences!