“Average ... some "pros" and some "cons"” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Commerce
Portland, Maine
“Average ... some "pros" and some "cons"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

I have stayed at this property in the past.
Sadly, because of circumstances with this visit, I will not stay again.
If my business brings me to Commerce, I will stay at the Doubletree just down the road.
For this particular stay, lets start with the "pros."
... Staff at desk were pleasant. Mae (I'm not sure if I have the spelling correct) was very nice.
... Room was very clean. An improvement from last time.
... Valet parking was only $5.00. That is very reasonable. You can park yourself out back, but I would recommend the valet parking.
... Coffee maker nice. Starbucks coffee in room. Ceramic mugs in room.
... Water temperature for shower was hot.
... A/C worked fine (have to put a key in slot as you enter interior of room and leave it there for a/c to work.)
Here are the "cons:"
... strange odor to the water
... water pressure poor
... location is in a busy industrial part of town
... someone was in the first room that I checked into (I had to go to the desk to be issued another room)
... Upon checkout, I called for the valet to bring my car. I had a large suitcase, a small suitcase (equipment for my job) and a briefcase. There were three male valet attendants and they all stood nearby talking and watched me put my luggage in my car. I'm small in stature and had to struggle a bit to get my larger suitcase in.
With that said...I'm fine doing it myself...I travel alone for business all year long...I'm resilient and don't "have to" have help --- but, it would have been nice.
Once I got my luggage in, I glanced at them. Two of them were looking at me as they talked ... I have never seen anything like that in my life.
That afternoon, I called the manager. They did take some $$$ off my bill, which I appreciated.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Los Angeles - Commerce Casino, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
Dear Eulalia_3,

Thank you for writing a detailed review of your experience. It makes us happy to read that after some initial issues with the room accommodation, these were all sorted out and addressed accordingly. Your feedback regarding the cleanliness of the room and and front desk service is highly appreciated. On the other hand, it is regrettable that the water quality was a let down during your stay. As for your experience upon check-out, we apologize for shortcomings you may have experienced with the staff.

We have forwarded your concerns with the respective departments and will certainly take action to improve the quality and services we offer. Once again, we thank you for staying with us. We are looking forward to an opportunity in serving you better on your next visit to Commerce.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

The staff were very friendly as were the patrons, my husband and I spent one night here after hearing it was the largest card room in the world and wanting to learn how to play cards seeing we were in the area. Not only were we taught properly by the staff but they bent over backwards to make sure our stay was great. Everything was spotless, the prices were very good for LA, we had the best Chinese , authentic Chinese food we have ever had and had a great night. The management there went out of their way to make sure we were looked after, as a couple of Aussies travelling around, we were made to feel like locals and we had a great night.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Taiwan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

My stay at Commerce Crowne Plaza was average. The location is quite far away from L.A downtown and it's pretty much next to the highway. However, you can ask for free shuttle pick-up either at Union Station or at any location is within 10 miles. Give hotel a call when you're ready to be picked up.

When I checked in, I was disappointed with the fact that the hotel is under construction for about "two months". And so, I was informed that there's no outdoor pool or spa for use. I wish the hotel has informed me this earlier. Communication is way too important!

The restaurant, Wood Dragon, located next to the lobby was fantastic! During my three nights stay, I pretty much ate there every day. Service was great, food was fresh, and the environment was way better than the sporty bar/ cafe/ inside of Casino.

Commerce Casino was very outdated and it looks kind of cheap. I didn't really feel like spending my time there at all.

On the very last day, I had one hour massage at "Meridian Day Spa" on Level 2 above Casino. Ben from front desk was very friendly and helpful. It was a great place to spend time at while you were there. Make sure you treat yourself a nice hourly massage and spend half day inside of jacuzzi pool and steam rooms. Visiting the SPA was totally my highlight!

If you wanna stay here, please consider it won't be much entertainment for non-gamblers like myself. Overall, It was an average stay!

Room Tip: Use their free shuttle bus for pick-up if you're not driving in L.A
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Los Angeles - Commerce Casino, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Dear Koko S,

Thank you for writing a review on your recent stay. We take delight in knowing that despite the challenges regarding our location, you managed to find our complimentary shuttle service convenient. You seem to have particularly liked the food and service in our restaurant. We take pride in knowing that our food and beverage staff was able to provide the best culinary experience during your stay.

I do want to apologize for the shortcomings, with regards to the ongoing construction affecting the pool area and spa. We will certainly work on the points that you have raised to ensure we provide the best customer experience. We look forward to serving you again when you can enjoy all the hotel amenities.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Goodyear, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

The place is elegant. If your a poker player its the place to be. I came through for a night on the way to Phoenix. The valet parking would not touch my bike. I came in on a Harley. The parking manager directed me to a covered parking space in view of the staff. Way above and beyond expectations. The room was OK, nothing special. A nice view of the rear parking lot, but the view is not what one comes to this hotel. The poker floor was booming, the food was great and the staff was very attentive. The renovations were annoying, but the front desk staff spelled it all out when I checked in. I am looking forward to my next trip to the area to see all the reno's done. All in all, its a good hotel and destination. I recommend it.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Woodbine, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

I would avoid the hotel for the next six months. They provided us a letter when we checked in stating that they are doing construction starting at 8am yet start every day at 7:15. When asked about it the front desk responded that they start at 7am and said the letter was wrong. They made us feel like it was our fault the letter was wrong. Terrible customer service.

• Stayed April 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Los Angeles - Commerce Casino, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Dear JMPeck,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. I am very sorry to hear about the troubles you encountered over the renovation. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests as your comments are being shared with the hotel management and appropriate action will be taken. Your feedback is very important to us as this continually helps us improve the facilities and guest services we offer to our guests.

Karen G.
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

Booked a non smoking room, received email confirmation for non smoking room, upon arrival we where told we booked a smoking room, when we showed them email, they said no, you booked a smoking room. Load of crap. Other than that, hotel was nice, 15-20 min drive to L.A. Convention Center even with morning commuter traffic, $2 Valet parking, good dining options in hotel. Hotel is busy Friday and Saturday nights, but valet was still quick and easy. Probably would not stay here again because of the smoking thing.

Room Tip: just know that you may still get smoking room even if your confirmation says non smoking.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Lemoore, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 2 days in mid march. Convenient just off the 5, excellent staff, very curteous, valet parking a must ($2 charge) very worth while. Asian and Americsn restaurants, good food, service and bar staff. Will stay there again. Rooms very comfortable.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Been to Crowne Plaza Los Angeles - Commerce Casino? Share your experiences!