“Great area very nice hotel...but” 4 of 5 stars

Chukchansi Gold Resort & Casino
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   711 Lucky Lane, Coarsegold, CA 93614   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Coarsegold
Santa Clarita, California
“Great area very nice hotel...but”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We are an older, active couple, who enjoy traveling. This particular area is a great favorite of my husband's. I love to play the games and he is not a great fan but gave in to me. Chukchansi is a very, very, nice hotel. It has a very nice lodge atmosphere. It has valet parking for hotel guests, which is free. If you do prefer to park in the lot down the hill, they have shuttles. The staff is terrific - especially the Bellmen and Parking staff. The rooms are very clean, comfortable, and attractive.

I think if I were to be critical it would be the following:
We had booked in advance and in this beautiful area we got a room that faced a wall and air conditioning unit. I had even questioned the front desk upon check-in about this room and she sort of avoided the question. We paid as much as the people looking out over the beautiful scenery. If you go to a concert they usually warn you about obstructions in your view and charge less - but not here. I don't know if they would have moved us, we didn't ask.
Also, the casino is okay but remember there are really no non-smoking areas. The smell of smoke just hangs heavily in the air. When I asked about non-smoking areas, I was shown a small cluster of machines that I don't normally play. I just wiped the tears off my face and played Keno ..but here's the strange thing, I didn't play next to anyone who was smoking - it seems people are a lot smarter than they think.

Room Tip: If you prefer not to look at a blank wall and air conditioning unit, speak up when you check in. If...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Clovis, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Just got back from our stay. Before yesterday, I always brought my own pillows. To my amazement our room had these wonderful new pillows and the beds were a remarkable improvement. Still miss the rubber duck in the tub area. As previous reviews state that the
place was going down hill, but this is the first sign that things are on and upward ladder.
As for eats, the Noodle bar is the best next is Goldfields. I hope that the Buffet (which at one time I looked forward to a great meal) starts back on a upward climb as I have NOT been impressed for the past six months. On a positive note: The bakery has some wonderful items that are very tasty and reasonably prices.

Room Tip: You get better views in the Chukchansi Tower on the fourth or fifth floor
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Upland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Surprise! There is a brand new Casino Resort on the way to the Yosemite National Forest! We were able to have a Mountain Outdoors trip, and then include a "dress up nite" at the Casino! Just minutes outside the Yosemite gateway is this Huge Hotel and Casino! We did not expect this so we were not prepared to dine or stay, but we did enjoy the casino fun! There is a variety of slots and the atmosphere is really fun! We had a really good time! Will plan a return trip to stay at the resort! There is a special thru April for $89 one night stay and they return you $ on food credit and gaming play that brings the cost of the hotel room to about $40! That's a good deal!!
Great Romantic Getaway for anyone within 1-5 hrs of Fresno area!

Room Tip: There is a Sunday Brunch close by that was less than $20 per person that looked really inviting! Wil...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stayed here one night on a cross US road trip. This was a stopover having viewed the splendour of Yosemite.
Reception and check in was acceptably fast and friendly. There was some confusion over the room booked (two singles were offered a King size required), they quickly sorted it out without issue.
The room was up to date and comfortable, plenty of room and all the usual items. Air conditioning was effective and very quiet.
We were there on a Tuesday and the Casino area was quiet with the restaurants facing directly on to the floor I could see it being pretty noisy at peak times.
For those of a gambling nature, as this is in California there is no roulette table, but a version of roulette with a lottery balls system instead. Whilst it serves the same purpose, somehow it really fails to create the same atmosphere.
Overall the entire place seemed to lack atmosphere, perhaps it was the time of week , but we soon lost interest and retired to bed.

Overall a good hotel, just lacking atmosphere as a casino.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Visalia, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

The room was fairly expensive for the fresno area. The room was pretty with a comfy bed but they skimped on the towels, and the make-up mirror didn't work at all. our biggest complaint was the noise......apparently they don't monitor the number of people occupying the rooms, We had parties going on all night (until 4 a.m.) next door and across the hall with people coming in and out, visiting and laughing in the halls, pounding on doors and walls. WE finally had to call the desk to ask them to please come up and investigate the problem,,,,it did quiet down after that so we got about 3 hours sleep before housekeeping started their rounds and were carrying on conversations between each other from down the hall.....Came home exhausted, so much for our relaxing get away!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Fresno, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

My daughter and I stayed overnight at Chukchansi on Sunday Feb. 10 for a little birthday treat as the next day was her birthday. The stay was made even sweeter because I got a coupon for one free overnight stay so the night was courtesy of the casino. This is my fourth or fifth time staying overnight at Chukchansi and other than the too firm beds that I almost need a step stool to get into because they are a tad too high, it's always an enjoyable stay. However, I am starting to be disappointed with the buffet choices. I drive up to this casino (sans overnight stay) maybe 3-4 times a year to gamble and usually eat at the buffet. I know I'm not in Vegas, and no one does a buffet like the Vegas casinos, but Chukchansi has had the same buffet faire since it opened switching up the food choices is loooong overdue. Also, it's sad to see Nativo's and Deuces closed which says alot about how well the casino is doing. I don't want to say Chukchansi is past it's heyday, but it does need to step up it's game BEFORE the new Station casino planned for north Madera right off of Highway 99 is built. Good Luck Chukchansi!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Fresno, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We live about an hour from the Resort and have gone up twice since we had our son. Getting away is difficult- and Chukchansi has everything we need under one roof: Great food, Dancing (club), drinks, pool, and spa.. Note...I did not say gambling! We are not big gamblers- maybe a $5 bill into the Monopoly game.... that's about it. We want to have a few drinks and dance, without driving!
The rooms are huge (stay in the new tower, no smoking). Bed is soooo comfortable, in fact the entire room is. The tower is quiet... the only issue- smoke travels and I can smell it in the halls and elevator; but not in the room! But...what do you expect- you can smoke in the casino just downstairs.
The spa is nice- good massages (pricey, but where isn't a spa pricey) and the bonus perk- chocolate covered strawberries in the lounge with coffee/tea/water. We did the couples massage- it was good....honestly I like my usual massage therapist here in town that I see monthly, next time maybe I will attempt a facial.
We have eaten at the expensive Steak House and the Sushi place. Both are excellent! The steak house is really expensive. The best martinis are in the bar at the Steak House! I did hear the italian place was good too. As for breakfast- my favorite part--- Gold Fields the basic breakfast place has the best pancakes.
Pros:
rooms worth the price.
large rooms
very comfortable bed
quiet rooms- all around comfort
great food and drinks
dancing- club with DJ
gambling- if you are into that
short drive from Fresno
Heated Pool and spa (indoor and outdoor pool)
Chocolate covered strawberries in spa
Cons
Smoke....if you are sensitive to smoke- suggest you plan accordingly
The guy you see at the slot machine as you go up to your room at the end of the night...will probably still be there at 7:30am when you come down for breakfast---at the same exact slot machine.
Spa isn't spectacular

Room Tip: New Tower! Smoke Free. All have a nice view. I suggest the higher the better...further from smok...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Chukchansi Gold Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!