“Beautiful Victorian house, fabulous food with a quiet and comfortable ambiance” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Old Hotel Bistro & Hearts Delight

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

My friend and I met at the Victoria Rose Cottage for lunch today. The interior of this lovely Victorian house has been tastefully and lavishly restored. The tables are set apart so you get a feeling of privacy. Lunch is served at a relaxed pace and allows one to savor their food without feeling like they are being rushed. The tea menu includes a huge variety of floral teas, along with Earl Grey, English breakfast and a few other pekoes. I ordered a small pot of English breakfast tea and it was served hot and came in a beautiful teapot. The menu is simple and features great salads and sandwiches. This is one place you can find a Monte Cristo and if it tastes as good as it looks, it is Fab. My friend and I both opted for the Cobb salad ($12) which came with a scallion vinegarette, generous portions of turkey and all the traditional ingredients. For dessert, I had the housemade vanilla bean cheesecake. Very tasty. My friend had the trifle with a tasty layering of sponge cake, berries and custard, topped with freshly whipped cream. I must say I was envious. When I called to make our reservation, the hostess mentioned that reservations had to be made for the English tea ($28) ahead of time. I would imagine that reservations are a must for weekend or holiday lunches. Dinner is served on Friday and Saturday nights only. No wine/beer but you can bring your own. $10 corkage fee. In spite of its name, men do eat here.

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Fresno, California
“Very elegant and cute!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

Food was simple tea and scones were out standing. The decor was inviting and felt like you were in another era. It was like stepping back into the past.

“Scones and desserts!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011 via mobile

I'd been here before on a trip to Clovis for business and when I went back the desserts and scones were completely changed. I was looking forward to the amazing chocolate khalua pudding cake or a delicious cheesecake but neither were there. And when I had the scone it was like a shortbread cookie not like the fluffy scone I'd had previously. The owner was there that day and was wearing blue jeans and regular shirt while he makes his staff dress in black slacks and white blouses. The owner of the establishment needs to start dressing the part. And I want my scones back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Fresno, California
“Beauty an the Beast!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

I was there on Sunday for brunch, BEAUTIFUL place but lack of service (very slow) and the potatoes in all the orders were way over cooked, inedible, very hard. They need to take care of these important details!

• Visited March 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Clovis CA
“lives up to expectation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2008

The food was very good and the presentation was excellent, comes with lots of atmosfear, lives up to expectation of the name. Would be great for a ladies shower place.