“Real Thai Food!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Thai
california
“Real Thai Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

I picked this place without knowledge and planned a get together with my customer who is a big Thai food fan, He lived in Thailand and is very picky. When I arrived at the strip mall, I was a bit concerned, Inside my picky friend was at the table having a grand time with the owner, tasting appetizers, talking of old times in-country. First thing my buddy said was this is the few Thai places in Fresno actually operated by a real Thai. My buddy ordered all the food, and all of the standard dishes like pad Thai, basil chicken, eggplants etc, All were perfectly done, nicely spiced. Was expecting the "chow mein in peanut sauce" -- but this was the real deal. Singha was cold and atmosphere was just fine. Not fancy, but really nice and friendly.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Clovis, California
“Hidden gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

Small "hole in the wall" in a strip-mall back S/E corner of Willow and Shaw. Have eaten there many times and have taken out. Owner takes orders. Will make as you request. You can change spice mild to hot or add vegetables. I love the Pad Kee-Mow which I add brocccoli. The main thing I like about this place the vegetables are always fresh and cooked just right, still a crunch. Egg rolls are also very good.
Good service. If busy, they can be a little slow, but worth it.
One down fall is, in the summer and it is hot out side, it is warm in the restaurant. They need some ceiling fans.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
California
“Fresh Thai food made just the way YOU like it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

I've been to a lot of Thai food places in Fresno and have witnessed a phenomenon of only what I can explain as serve-staff being on "Thai time". "Thai time" means that it takes decades to even be acknowledged let alone seated, then, dare I say eons for your order to actually come up. I can name 3 establishments off the top of my head to whom I specifically mentioned that I needed my food out fast because I only had a little over an hour for lunch and my food STILL took over an hour to get to my table!

Thai Gem does NOT do this. They, refreshingly, are quite the opposite with fast, friendly service as soon as you step foot in the door. Obviously anywhere you go during lunch hour that has every table full will take some time, but Thai Gem still delivers by getting your food out to you within reasonable time.

What was I most impressed with? The quality and thoughtfulness you can tell they put into preparing your order. I can really taste it when something was frozen or sitting out waiting for me before I come in or if something is made purposefully for me, to my liking, and specific requests. For example, I'm a vegetarian and the owner even was thoughtful enough to make sure my food was not prepared with fish oil.

I really appreciate that in a business and things like that makes me return to Thai Gem over and over.

• Visited February 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
PA
“Good Thai Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

This is a very small restaurant in a strip mall. The exterior is a little unprepossessing and the interior is ok but definitely not fancy. We ordered the coconut soup, pad thai and massamun curry. The soup was definitely delicious, one of the best I've had. The pad thai had a bit different taste to it but still very enjoyable. The curry was also very good. The cost for all the dishes was very reasonable. I would definitely eat here again.

• Visited July 2011
AR
“The great reviews are right!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

I had the chicken panang and it was as good as any panang I've ever had. There was a little wait, but it's because everything is made from scratch after you order...including rice! The owner was the waiter and there to provide an explanation about Thai food to everyone in the restaurant. There are only about 12 tables, but several of those were taken by regulars.
It's a very comfortable restaurant, incredibly affordable.

• Visited August 2011