“Hidden gem” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #56 of 230 restaurants in Clovis
Clovis, California
“Hidden gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

Small "hole in the wall" in a strip-mall back S/E corner of Willow and Shaw. Have eaten there many times and have taken out. Owner takes orders. Will make as you request. You can change spice mild to hot or add vegetables. I love the Pad Kee-Mow which I add brocccoli. The main thing I like about this place the vegetables are always fresh and cooked just right, still a crunch. Egg rolls are also very good.
Good service. If busy, they can be a little slow, but worth it.
One down fall is, in the summer and it is hot out side, it is warm in the restaurant. They need some ceiling fans.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

87% Recommend
California
“Fresh Thai food made just the way YOU like it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

I've been to a lot of Thai food places in Fresno and have witnessed a phenomenon of only what I can explain as serve-staff being on "Thai time". "Thai time" means that it takes decades to even be acknowledged let alone seated, then, dare I say eons for your order to actually come up. I can name 3 establishments off the top of my head to whom I specifically mentioned that I needed my food out fast because I only had a little over an hour for lunch and my food STILL took over an hour to get to my table!

Thai Gem does NOT do this. They, refreshingly, are quite the opposite with fast, friendly service as soon as you step foot in the door. Obviously anywhere you go during lunch hour that has every table full will take some time, but Thai Gem still delivers by getting your food out to you within reasonable time.

What was I most impressed with? The quality and thoughtfulness you can tell they put into preparing your order. I can really taste it when something was frozen or sitting out waiting for me before I come in or if something is made purposefully for me, to my liking, and specific requests. For example, I'm a vegetarian and the owner even was thoughtful enough to make sure my food was not prepared with fish oil.

I really appreciate that in a business and things like that makes me return to Thai Gem over and over.

• Visited February 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
PA
“Good Thai Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

This is a very small restaurant in a strip mall. The exterior is a little unprepossessing and the interior is ok but definitely not fancy. We ordered the coconut soup, pad thai and massamun curry. The soup was definitely delicious, one of the best I've had. The pad thai had a bit different taste to it but still very enjoyable. The curry was also very good. The cost for all the dishes was very reasonable. I would definitely eat here again.

• Visited July 2011
AR
“The great reviews are right!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

I had the chicken panang and it was as good as any panang I've ever had. There was a little wait, but it's because everything is made from scratch after you order...including rice! The owner was the waiter and there to provide an explanation about Thai food to everyone in the restaurant. There are only about 12 tables, but several of those were taken by regulars.
It's a very comfortable restaurant, incredibly affordable.

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Fresno, California
“Fresh Thai Food, Thai one on! :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2009

My Wife and I literally stumbled across this restaurant in Clovis (next to Fresno) while heading to Olive Garden, and of course, we skipped OG to try it, and are VERY glad we did! This little restaurant is owned by Native Thai's that stick to real Thai or traditional Thai food, as they know it, and of course, being from Thailand, you know you are getting "the real McCoy"! (some "Thai" Restaurants are not owned or operated by folks from Thailand!)

We had the pleasure of meeting the owner himself, and learned quite a bit about the authentic Thai ways of some dishes, and also his little added touches. The owner, whose name is "Wit", really is serious about FRESH food! My wife is a Vegetarian, and asked for some specific food, and Wit had no problem letting her know, that they can prepare any Vegetarian dish she would like based on food from the menu!

We were very pleased with the restaurant overall, but the food will really surprise you at just how good real, fresh, Thai food can be! :)

We had dinner, drinks, and appetizer for $37! I also want to note, the tempura vegetable appetizer we had was very good, not greasy tasting like I wind up making at home, not sure what the secret is :(

If you want a cool local restaurant, are in the mood for Thai Food, and want the freshest, not to mention best value, in Thai food, this place is for you! You will love the friendly owner, he's a blast, and loves people! :)

We can't wait to go back with our friends and family! :)

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Thai Gem? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Thai Gem, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.