“Great Outdoors Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jackass Meadow Campground

Jackass Meadow Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Clovis
Jackass Meadow Campground
Save Saved
You added Jackass Meadow Campground to your Saves list
Florence Lake, Sierra National Forest, Clovis, CA   |
San Diego, California
“Great Outdoors Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

The place is beautiful. The only thing that I was bummed about was the map of the campground that we used to book our reservation was not layed out right. We thought our campsite was on the river but it was on a dried up creek instead. I did take a photo of the actual campground layout for others so they are not mislead like we were. Other then that, the camp host was very friendly. The bathrooms are kept clean. You are allowed to collect dead wood from around the campground for a camp fire so you do not need to constantly keep buying bundles of firewood. I recommend you bring a sharp axe for that. If you aren't very woodsy the camp host does sell bundles of firewood for $15. The Lake is a short drive from the camp grounds, Or a quick climb up a huge rock. My husband hiked it really fast and takes you to the backside of Lake Florence. The days are nice and warm. The nights were fairly cold. I recommend lots of warm blankets and/or sleeping bags. The water in the lake and river is VERY cold! its snow melt so plan for cold water if your expecting to swim. On our first morning our camp was invaded by Horses and Donkey's but they were very friendly. I got to feed them some grass and oats. and they love my Husbands homemade herb and wheat crackers. It is totally worth the drive down the crazy road to get up there. I hope to return one day. But better prepared for the cold nights :)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Castaic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

Family and friends went to Florence Lake for five nights. We all had a wonderful time. Weather was perfect. 70's day/low 40's night. Campground was well managed with fairly clean facilities.

Lets be clear. The campground is rather Spartan and not for the novice camper. The drive in on Kaiser pass single lane road is very challenging and can make the kids sick. You will back up a few times. So know how to back up before going.

The jackasses(horses) are cool at first, but rapidly become annoying. No snakes. No bears. Water was cold and level was dropping at a rate of three feet per day, but I still had a great swim. Fishing was decent. But It's a long drive for just decent fishing.

All in all, Flo lake is a great place of you are a competent camper.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Clovis, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

You can't beat the outdoors and Spending time with your loved ones outside and enjoying the outdoors. Been frequent to all places in Cali for years and I enjoy it all. If you appreciate the outdoors please visit.

• Stayed August 2013
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

this was a great family adventure, we have done camping for the last 15 years around the sierra nevada, and this was our first time at Jackass campground, I really enjoyed this place, fishing is great, we did kayaking down and up the river for a couple of miles, you got a bring your on kayak, if you like. river is family friendly. is a great place to get away and have some peace. my only advise will be: drive a car that is in good mechanical condition, and remenber that the last 20 miles of the road are very rough and will take at least two hours to complete.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
South Gate, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We camped at jackass meadows which is at Florence lake.. Once we turned on kaiser pass rd it took us about 2 hrs on a one lane road.. There are areas where you can pull to the side so another car can pass but you are on the edge of the cliff and its scary!! We were very secluded on our campsites. Vault toilets were very clean.. I took my 3 young girls thinking it was going to be hard but they didn't mind the toilets, no bugs.. It's beautiful here.. I didn't like the fact that there were no showers!! I ended up filling 2 of the food bins I took with water, I let them warm up naturally with the sun and washed my hair that way, my girls had so much fun washing up that way.. If you like seclusion and privacy this is the place to be.. I don't think I will go back only because I have kids and if anything happened your a 2 hr drive from anything... My daughter stepped on a bee hive during a hike and was bit 6 times.. I treated her with the stuff in my 1st aid kit and Benadryl.. I was very lucky she was not allergic.. Horses/donkeys and deer visited out campsite every day.. The lake was in walking distance and awesome, just cold... There are so many good things about this place.. It's very clean and beautiful.. A ranger is onsite and very nice... Make reservations..

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Calabasas, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

"Kaiser Pass," the road you'l come in on is an adventure unto itself. You probably won't need 4 wheel drive but it wouldn't hurt to have. The road is not well maintained and in places, gets a bit rough. Large vehicles will have a tough time squeezing past oncoming traffic. There isn't much but be prepared to back up to make room. Take your time and plan for this to maximize your enjoyment.

Once there, we found the campsites to be spacious and most had bear boxes. Firewood is available for a fee. Limited supplies can be found at Florence Lake which is about a mile from the campsites. There are no showers here. Pit toilets were adequate but many campers are unaware that doors should be kept shut for a reason - it keeps the bugs out!

We really enjoyed the spot we got and even though it was 4th of July weekend, there were still several available sites. You can also camp outside the campgrounds with the proper permits.

Florence lake is stocked often and there were lots of trout visible in the river as well. You can rent boats at the lake. Following the river lead to a few great fishing spots and the meadow is very scenic - especially when the resident horses are nearby. There horses made a few surprise appearances in the campgrounds and in our campsite in particular.

It's a great family camping spot. Be sure to plan for the ride in and pack accordingly. It's not a road you'll want to scamper back down if you forgot a few supplies. This is one camping spot we'll visit again and again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Long Beach, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

The road up the Kaiser Pass to get to Jacka55 Meadows (TripAdvisor considers the name of the campground as profanity so I used 5 instead of s) and Florence Lake is a bit scary, but it's worth it. The campground is shaded and some of the campsites are right on the San Joaquin River. The fishing was good as was the hiking. There aren't many services nearby, but the little store up by the boat ramp does carry ice and a small selection of food and drinks. There are pit toilets and water, but no showers. The scenery is gorgeous

Stayed August 2008, traveled with family

Been to Jackass Meadow Campground? Share your experiences!