“very nice property in a pretty town” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Claremont
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
sophiebrown
“very nice property in a pretty town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

This is a great hotel for families visiting the Claremont colleges. It's right down the street, and only a short drive from the Ontario Airport. Rooms are lovely, property is great old southern california style, the amenities are great. Location is fantastic, next to an arboretum AND a Trader Joes. My only objection is that service in the restaurant was maddening slow. Food was fine (though expensive) but service was glacial.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Lovemyjob_10, Director of Sales at Doubletree Hotel Claremont, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Dear sophiebrown,

Thank you for the kind review. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the location and amenities were to your liking. I apologize that you did not receive superior service while dining in our restaurant and will talk to our team about this. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you’re in the area!

Director of Sales & Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Hudson Valley, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stayed at the Doubletree while I was attending a conference at Scripps. The hotel is beautifully landscaped, with an inner courtyard and lovely pool. I'd been told by a colleague about the lovely rooms with balconies overlooking the pool, so I was very disappointed to be given a room overlooking the parking lot, which was dark and depressing though comfortable enough for a short stay; I asked for a room change but was told that the "deluxe rooms" were all sold out. Sigh. The Trader Joe's next door was a real asset, but there was no refrigerator in the room so we couldn't chill a bottle of wine. I didn't have time to try the spa, but my son had a massage there and said it was great. I wish I'd had time to relax in the courtyard as well, but the conference kept me busy from early morning until night. Maybe next time!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the courtyard and pool.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Dear willowsong,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am delighted to hear that you and your son had a nice stay and that you enjoyed our resort amenities. Next time you’re in town you should check out our spa package which includes accommodations in our deluxe guestrooms and a spa credit. As usual, if there is anything we can do to enhance our services please let us know. We hope to see you return again soon!

Barnet, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

I had a pleasant and comfortable four night stay at the Doubletree Hotel Claremont, whilst in the Los Angeles area.

The hotel is 40 miles north of Los Angeles and is easy to get to and from on the Los Angeles Freeways. Universal Studios, The Queen Mary, Beverley Hills and LAX airport are within an hour's drive.

The room itself is a good size with all the basics one expects from a hotel, i.e coffee machine, fridge, decent shower/bathroom and comfortable beds.

Next to the hotel is a Trader Joes, where you can buy groceries and is pretty handy.

I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Lovemyjob_10, Director of Sales at Doubletree Hotel Claremont, responded to this review, April 18, 2012
Dear Craig S,

Thank you Craig for sharing your experience with us. I am glad to hear that you found the DoubleTree by Hilton Claremont location and the hotel amenities to your liking. We hope to see you return again soon!

Kind Regards,
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

We selected the Doubletree because we normally stay with Hilton properties and had business in San Dimas (few miles away). The Doubletree is a true gem of a hotel. Rooms are spacious, they are in 4 different buildings and only 2 stories tall so it is quiet and relaxing. Most balconies open to an immaculate landscaped area with flowers, tree ferns, fruit trees, etc. I even had a hummingbird building a next next to my balcony. Breakfast is excellent and the bar is well stocked. We did not eat there as the Caremont Village is only a 5 minute drive and the choice of restaurants there, plus free parking, was too much to resist. Will definitely return again to this Doubletree. All doors to buildings are constantly locked with access by room key.

Room Tip: Choose building 2, inside room, that faces the inside courtyard and flower gardens. If traveling wit...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Lovemyjob_10, Director of Sales at Doubletree Hotel Claremont, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Dear Paul M,

Thanks for the gracious review. We are pleased to hear that you had such a nice stay and that you were able to enjoy the beautiful landscaping around the property. As usual, if there is anything we can do to enhance our services please let us know. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Monterey, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

We stayed for one night at the Doubletree and enjoyed the garden setting. Our room had a balcony and overlooked a planted courtyard area that was both pretty and quiet. The room was spacious with comfortable beds, nice linens and pillows. The bathroom was standard but very clean and functional. The reception staff were very friendly and welcoming (and gave us those warm cookies!) Parking is free and there seemed to be plenty of parking space. Just one small elevator but it's a low rise hotel so we used the stairs anyway to get to the second floor. We would go back.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Lovemyjob_10, Director of Sales at Doubletree Hotel Claremont, responded to this review, April 5, 2012
Dear italaphile,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am delighted to hear that you had a relaxing stay and that you were able to enjoy the beautiful hotel grounds from your balcony. I am glad our reception staff made you feel welcome and I will share your kind comments with them. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon! Please let us know if there is anything you may need during your next visit.

Kind regards,
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

This is a pleasant enough hotel. We happened to be in Claremont during that recent weird, fluky weather when it was 47 degrees and a bit rainy. We arrived very late and the room they sent us to was way in the back of the second building. It was odd because the man at the front desk could have told us the room was the very last room and to park at the end and enter through the rear door, but when he drew it for me on the map, he actually circled the room in the middle of the hallway, so we parked near the front of the building and we lugged our luggage all the way down to the end like idiots. Anyway, The sheets were very clean and the beds were fine, but the bathroom door was impossibly filthy with old fingerprints and spots. It needs a really good scrub. Also, the bathroom door was very difficult to open and close. It was one of those modern and sleek frosted glass sliding doors that are meant to be cool, but guess what? It had no real handle, and the little pop out one was tiny and my teen daughters and I couldn't get the thing to move. Not fun in the middle of the night....or at any time. It probably needs a little WD40. An easy fix. The counters in the bathroom weren't too clean either and there was a little evidence of previous guests in the way of hairs. I have seen worse though. So why do I say it is very good? The room is spacious, the tv works well, and despite the cool weather, I could see that the pool area and landscaping around it was very pretty and would be lovely on a nice day. As for the breakfast, it was inconsistent. They are understaffed and were quite full that morning. The coffee was good, and they have a really nice buffet where you can order eggs to order. The only thing was the chef was in a hurry I suppose, as there was a line, so he undercooked my fried eggs and they were kind of yucky looking. I was going to ask him to cook them a little more, but he looked so harried and had two omelets in the frying pans, so I just ate them anyway. The tables weren't cleared too quickly as the staff was just a bit overwhelmed, but I will say that it is nice that for such a low price, one can get such a full meal with so many options. Would I stay again? There are very few options out there, so perhaps....

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Lovemyjob_10, Director of Sales at Doubletree Hotel Claremont, responded to this review, March 30, 2012
Dear Momof2teensNyc,

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you chose our hotel during your recent stay in the area and we apologize for the housekeeping problems you encountered. Dirty rooms are not typical at our hotel and we appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We will make every effort to ensure our rooms meet the highest housekeeping standards. We hope you will give us a second chance if you visit our area in the future.

Lucknow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

An attractive hotel set against the backdrop of the San Gabriel Mountains with snow capped Mount Baldy visible.

Rooms were spacious and comfortable.
Ask for rooms facing the pool rather than the car park. Lots of plantation creates a pleasant atmosphere.

Some minor criticisms include:
- toiletries such as shampoos not being replenished
- breakfast not included and very samey

Great location - walking distance to the village where the restaurants are located. Close to the posh and expensive Claremont Colleges campus.

• Stayed March 2012
Dear redkite-traveller,

Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed our hotel’s location and the beautiful views of the San Gabriel Mountains and Mt. Baldy. Thank you for bringing it to my attention that your toiletries were not replenished, I will discuss this with our housekeeping team. If you ever need any additional toiletries, please call our front desk and we’d be happy to bring more up. We hope to see you return again soon.

Director of Sales & Marketing

Been to Doubletree Hotel Claremont? Share your experiences!