“Not as good as it was, but still good.” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Hamburgers
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Claremont, California
“Not as good as it was, but still good.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Back Abbey is still a great place to go but my wife and I haven't enjoyed it as much as we used to. Of course the fries are great, and burgers are solid. If you haven't been there, it is worth going, Don't expect Bud, Miller or Coors. It's all euro beers with specific glasses for that beer.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

86% Recommend
“Absolutely the best eats in Claremont”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Absolutely the best eats in Claremont - as well as a great place for a beer. Staff are super friendly, decor very cool. Food and beer superb. Burgers are the best in town. A little piece of city in the country. Highly recommended.

• Visited June 2013
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
“It's the Duck Fat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Met up with a friend to have lunch and it was a great experience. I had the Schnitzel salad and here is the website's description:

"Breaded pork loin fried in duck fat. Topped with a sweet & tangy salad of endives, arugula, frisee, red grapes & red sweet sauerkraut. Dressed in our apple cider vinaigrette"

And their Pommes Frites or fries are to die for:

"Fresh Kennebec potatoes fried once in duck fat and once in Canola oil, then served with horseradish chive sauce, roumelade and ketchup"

I think the duck fat makes all the difference! Will be back the next time I visit.

• Visited April 2013
Monterey, California
“Suds and Smiles”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is a beer bar. I had a light Bavik and my husband had a medium Zwickl, both on the advice of our friendly waitress. Delicious burgers. I had a veggie with portobello mushroom, eggplant, red pepper on a brioche bun...yum. Don't miss the pommes frites...half order shared was plenty for the two of us. Loud jazzy music, concrete topped tables; we'll be back soon! Our tab with a generous tip was $53.

• Visited May 2013
California
“Duck fat fries fall flat”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I heard this was the best place one earth for a burger and fries. I will admit I am not a huge burger lover, but what killed it was the slime from the duck fat fries (this is the only way they make them) on my teeth. Service was slow, drinks good, but overall not a winner for me. Eureka burger is better and does not have weird fries.

Visited March 2013