“Great bed with the most comfortable pillows I've ever slept on!” 4 of 5 stars

Vagabond Inn Chula Vista
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   230 Broadway, Chula Vista, CA 91910   |
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Chula Vista
Biggera Waters, Australia
“Great bed with the most comfortable pillows I've ever slept on!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2010

I forgot to ask where they get their pillows from. Seriously they were the best we've ever slept on. My son and I agreed on that. Was worried about the trailer park next door but that didn't pose a problem at all. The first night though we did have people above us who decided to keep us awake half the night. Other than that all was good.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
J P, Manager at Vagabond Inn Chula Vista, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Thanks for the old review albeit older, we have upgraded a lot since your stay many years ago!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

I have stayed in this hotel for years, I have never ever had a problem. I am safe and the rooms are great and the staff is awesome. I always feel very safe. The beds are comfortable and the hotel is clean.

You will not be sorry staying here at all.

In todays economy everyone can save a few dollars and have a great place to stay.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
J P, Manager at Vagabond Inn Chula Vista, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Although this review is old, we do appreciate all of the feedback and we have upgraded many things at this hotel. Please come and stay with us again soon!
Moreno Valley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

Stayed from Friday July 2-Sun July 4th for a baseball tournament just me (Mom) & 4 boys (17 yrs, 11 yrs, 5 yrs, & 3 yrs). Perfect hotel room with 2 rooms & 3 beds! The pool & jacuzzi were such a fun & relaxing activity to do at the end of every day! This hotel is also placed where you can travel to anywhere your family would want to go in San Diego at a reasonable price! We traveled to Coronado State Beach, Imperial Pier, Old Town San Digo & Seaport Village, plus lots of baseball fields! Staff was very helpful when you needed them & the complimentary breakfast every morning was yummy & plentiful!

• Stayed July 2010
Melbourne
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

OK so your travelling to San Diego and thinking you might try and save a coupla bucks on accomodation. Well you will save them here, but may regret the experience. I was bushed having just driven from LA, so we asked for a couple of quiet rooms, which was a big mistake. Staff thought this was hilarious, and spent much of the night doing burn-outs, running up and down the balcony screaming and yelling stuff like "Do you think we're being quiet enough!?" and my in-laws were woken every few hours by the phone - a mexican pimp looking for his girls. I ripped through the manager in the morning, but he couldn't have cared any less. Rooms were dated and seedy, the only bonus was we weren't slaughtered in our sleep.

Best view of the Vagabond Inn Chula Vista is via the rear-view mirror.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
Hollywood, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2008

We spent one night in San Diego and this motel was near where friends lived, so we picked it. Not expecting to spend much time in our room, we didn't want to pay much, but next time we'll pay a little extra. This is an old motel and it shows. The room (132) was basic: bed, dresser, TV, etc., and seemed clean. It was a cold night and the thermostat on the wall was apparently only for show, so we ended up sleeping with our sweaters on and socks! The doors still use old metals keys and the beds were too soft. Bring your own towels since they have the thin, rough kind. For $80 on a Saturday night, we shouldn't expect much I suppose (which is unfortunate these days), but it just didn't feel safe. If you're on a budget, I suppose this will work. I'm not too finicky, but this wasn't a pleasant stay. We also grabbed dinner at Keith's Diner, which is north on Broadway. 24 diner with just okay food. That probably didn't help my reviewing mood. ;-)
If you can spend a little more, you probably should. I must also point out, in this area it seemed to be mostly seedy hotels so this was probably considered high end in comparison.

Stayed February 2008
Point Mugu NAWC, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2007

Booked through sandiegohotels.com. Got a king room for around $70 a night. For that price in San Diego I was not expecting much. I was pleasantly surprised. Now you have the usual for rooms with a door to the outside (not inside hall). But I was surprised that the room was very clean. The maids did a wonderful job cleaning up. They even placed my daugher's stuffed Scooby on the pillow after they made the bed. They cleaned with out being intrusive. My only negative was the breakfast pretty much stunk. But with the money I saved on the room breakfast was not a huge deal. Would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — Cleanliness of the rooms
  • Disliked — Cont'l breakfast
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2007

We stayed in the Vagabond Inn for 3 nights. The place is very convinient to all the attractions visited (Gaslamp, Old-Town, Parks and Zoo). It is only 2 blocks away from I-5. We stayed in the first section of the facility; re-modeled so it was quite clean and comfortable. Looked at the end sections of the facility and they are still undergoing renovations so try to stay in the first section of the Inn. Employees are friendly didn't have a problem checking in or out. Walls are thin but didn't bother us much. Its a Family friendly place and even seniors are seen staying and seemed comfortable. Price is good for the Inn.

Will stay here again.

-J.F, Northern California.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Vagabond Inn Chula Vista? Share your experiences!