“Brief stay” 3 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   230 Broadway, Chula Vista, CA 91910   |
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Chula Vista
“Brief stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

I recently had a family emergency and had to stay in the area so I decided to check into the Vagabond inn. When I checked in it was 1:30 am, upon arrival I was greeted at the front desk by a kind gentlemen with a friendly smile asking me how he could assist me. When I got to my room I saw I had all the basic essentials that hotels have to offer, clean room, tv, hair dryer, table, coffee, and fresh towels. My stay here was brief on account of the circumstances I was under but the kind and helpful staff at the vagabond inn made this a pleasant stay.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
J P, Manager at Vagabond Inn Chula Vista, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
We appreciate your patronage and that you picked our hotel. We are glad we helped make your stay pleasant. Please come back if you are in the area! Thank You.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

my disabled sister paralized from the waist down and myself a 58 year on S S stayed 1 night in a disabled access room my sister was afraid to use the shower when she tried to shower she was scalded because the shower handle was worn out to where you spent more time trying to adjusting the temperature of the water super cold or super hot and the hand held wand wouldnt stay where you put it ,the air conditioner was so noisy it drowned out the noise from the I-5 freeway nearby honestly i saw a cock roach on my jacket in the restroom in the middle of the night.it was a non smoking room which stunk like smoke after we got all our stuff and my sister and wheel chair in the special access room hot n sweaty i turned the air on which emitted a terrible odor mainly tabacco and something like a sour mildew smell also.then i saw the next day that they also without contacting me with the number i gave when reserving the room that $100 was taken because they accused us of smoking in the nonsmoking room ,we both dont use cigarettes there was a can under the bed with some butts in it ,i put it in the trash also i was currious why rubber gloves where over the 2 round alarms etc maybe video voyeur was what we figured why,the Vaginnbond email a thankyou but not a word was said or even hinted about that they vaginnbond who had the correct info from to take money from my debit card Regions bank Tenn. which allowed them to make up false charges to hit my card fraudulantly and take $100 more they plainly "Rip You OFF" so people beware,beware and forwarned boycott vagabond inn 230 broadway ,Chula Vista,Ca you will be sorry that you didnt drive on by this place if i had read THE REVIEWS FOR THIS PLACE I WOULDN T BE TRAPPED WITH FIGHTING RIPOFFS TO GET MY sOCIAL SECURITY MONEY BACK,LISTEN TO THE NEWS CHANNELS THIS STORY WILL BE THERE SOON //CHULA VISTA, VAGABOND INN Ripps Off parallized girl and her senior citizen brother on SS for $100 from their debt card and tried to hide it.wrong,wrong vagabond inn.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
J P, Manager at Vagabond Inn Chula Vista, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Edward,
This is not the way we do business and we are trying to make changes to this hotel, we are undergoing sensitivity training and we have upgraded many things in this hotel, however we know that our guests have certain expectations and we are very sorry that yours were not met. I have forwarded this email to the owners and we will be launching an investigation as will rectify the issues at hand. My apologies.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

After several other hotels told us they were completely booked, we came to this place.
The person at the lobby was very friendly and gave us a 2-bed, non-smoking room which from what I saw was pretty clean.
The bathroom was clean as well and I had no issues whatsoever with my stay. Although it's not a prime location it will do if you've been driving for 6-7 hours straight.
Fair prices and the friendly staff.

• Stayed May 2013
J P, Manager at Vagabond Inn Chula Vista, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
We appreciate the kind words, we have been working on our hotel and our employees. We do appreciate your patronage.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

This place was so philthy and on top of that the hot water does not work!! They must have an electrical problem because the lights kept turning off. Also the ront desk lady "Melissa" was very rude. Do your self a favor and pass on this one.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank your for bringing this to our attention, We are taking this info very seriously and will handle it accordingly. We are sorry your trip was not what you expected.
Hollister, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Run away!! This hotel is super ghetto. The area is awful. Directly behind the hotel is a run down sketchy trailer park with barb wire fencing that run right up to the stairs of the hotel. There were police lights every night across the street. Homeless people and crackheads galore. The rooms are dirty and old. The furniture is chipped and stained. Bathroom grout is stained and nasty. Bathtub is chipped and dirty. The breakfast is a muffin and that's it! No cereal no fruit. This is one of Hotwire.com's 2 star hotels. If you see a 2 star hotel in Chula Vista on Hotwire.com DON"T BOOK!!!! This hotel makes The Roadway Inn or Motel 6 seem like 5 star hotels. I'm not just an upset customer I'm honestly trying to warn people from experience.

Room Tip: My tip for choosing a good room is run away from this hotel
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments. Since this review (almost a year and a half ago) we have new managers and the neighborhood is better and we have renovated our property and our rooms.
Lemoore, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Found exposed electrical wire in the grass outside my room. Was part of the landscape lighting but was not covered. Exposed wires wet from the sprinklers were black and chard from electrical discharge.Notified the manger next mourning but he didn't seem to care.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the info. This was over a year ago and all issues were fixed.
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

The staff is okay. The room has all your basic needs and they clean it every day. A big plus is they offer free WIFI. it's fairly close to the trolley station though there are several hotels in the area that are even closer. they only have one electrical outlet in the room though, and i kind of needed more. also, the fridge started making noise in the middle of the night, very distracting, but it's in the bathroom, so i closed the bathroom door and that helped a bit. they do have a nice air conditioner in there as well so that's also a plus.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Thank you for your coments, we have renovated this hotel and have new employees.

Been to Vagabond Inn Chula Vista? Share your experiences!