“Surprisingly good stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 20 hotels in Chula Vista
Irving, Texas
“Surprisingly good stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

Plane got in late, most hotels booked and my husband and I came across this hotel of hwy 5. Recent upgrades made this an affordable and enjoyable stay. Only complaint is the beds are a little more on the firm side and they provided us with 2 small pillows. I would advise to ask for more pillows if staying there for more than one night. Conveniently next to a trolley station to take you most places and some resturants.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

38 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Prescott, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

We have stayed at this Motel 6 several times in the last 8 years, and have always had a pleasant experience. Up until now, the staff was always friendly, and the rooms quiet and a good value. That is why we made reservations to stay here once again...What a mistake!!! We had specifically requested a quiet room on the top floor....Well, they provided a top floor room, but DIRECTLY across from the freeway and trolley. The staff member who checked us in said that it was a highly 'desirable' room because it had a view -- of the freeway and trolley??? My husband and I accepted the room in the late afternoon with some misgivings, but thought we had always had a good experience here - what can go wrong. We attempted to take a nap for about an hour, couldn't sleep because of the incredible traffic noise from the freeway. And on top of that, I am highly allergic to toxic chemicals and pesticides, and I had a terrific reaction to something that had been used in that room. So, we decided to cut our loses and find another hotel. We went to the front desk to tell them about our situation and were told that company policy was no refunds once the room had been used. Understandable. But we felt that our needs had been categorically ignored and that we were being asked to just 'roll over and take it.' After some further discussion, the assistant manager agreed to refund us half of our payment for the night. That was more than we expected, and we would have dropped the matter there and even written a positive review here for all to read....But as one of the staff was inputting the reasons for our refund into the computer, she apparently wrote something derogatory about my husband and I because one of the other staff who was reading her comments chuckled and said, "Ooh, you are sooo bad..." We did nothing to be disrespected as we had real needs that had to be accommodated and the staff ignored them. So needless to say, what could have been a positive experience was spoiled by the staffs reaction. We will not be staying here again, and we will be telling all of our friends about how this Motel 6 treated us and recommend that they stay elsewhere. (We wound up at a Howard Johnson's on Rosecrans in Point Loma, where the room and staff could not have been better.)

Room Tip: Shady-looking characters were staying here.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Motel6, Owner at Motel 6 San Diego - Chula Vista, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear P9105DWsharonr,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We apologize for the unpleasant stay you had as a result of the traffice noise, room odor & service issues you experienced. These conditions are not consistent with Motel 6 standards for quality, and we encourage you to contact our Guest Relations Department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide our guests with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.
Pace, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

DO NOT GIVE THESE CRETINS YOUR BUSINESS!

Clear but visible stains on sheets.

Yellow stains on sheets.

Small brown smears on sheets.

Small crusty yellow spots on "loveseat".

Tub floor slimy enough to slip on.

Bath mat dirty.

ALL checked towels dirty, some with the same clear stains as on sheets.

Braved nighttime Winter cold to change rooms.

Room 2.

Heater was set correctly but only blew out cool air.

Sheets stained.

Checked nearest pillowcase and it had yellow stains and brown stains on the front and back.

Towels dirty.

Bath mat dirty.

Called office and spoke to "Lucia" (in quotes due to her name being told to me by the security guard I had to deal with later). I spoke politely but "Lucia" became enraged and began screaming at me. I asked her why she was screaming at me and then I had to argue with her that No, it was NOT OK that my linens were contaminated. She said "The maids do the best they can!" and I said "They have to keep the rooms clean for customers! They can't just remake the bed with dirty sheets instead of washing them because they're tired!" She had no care, no concern, was not apologetic - she was for some reason ENRAGED that I had called to report this room was disgusting. Long event short, she refused to change my room again and after I kept arguing with her she put me on hold for about 6 minutes then told me that security would come up. He came up very unconcerned and I showed him the contaminated sheets and pillowcase. He did agree that he saw it and then said that I could leave. I told him I'd like to but I couldn't because my ride was gone and I didn't want to pay (maybe twice the price) at a nearby motel. So he interrogated me about had I "used" the room - had I used the bathroom or anything - and he said that I couldn't change rooms because I had pulled back the sheets. I explained that I had pulled back the sheets to see if they were clean and that I had only been in the room 10 minutes (including the time I spent talking to the office lady). He took a tiny bit of pity on me I guess and ended up bringing me clean sheets from the laundry room and pillowcases because he was going to bring me pillows but couldn't find any. I asked the security guard the name of the woman in the office and he said "Lucia". I said I was going to report her to the corporate office. Then, in retaliation, he asked me MY name. I gave him the name I go by (which is on my identification by the way) and he asked "Who is (my first name)?" So he already KNEW my name, he was just asking me to try to intimidate me (didn't work). I said "That's my first name." He asked for my last name and I said "I'd rather not say. But they already have all my information." And that was that. So I checked out the next day and will NEVER stay at another Motel 6 again! I'm calling to report the whole horrible situation to both the corporate office and the local health department.

Room Tip: Do not give these people your business!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at this motel many times over the last few years and the newly refurbished rooms are a great upgrade.
Unfortunately the upgrade took away a lot of storage space and there is no suitcase stand, my case stayed on the floor.
The shower was OK if you are under 5 ft tall, I am 5-10 and had to bend down to get a shower.
I have never had a security problem even though the Guards are armed.
The staff is congenial and help full an OK place for the price

• Stayed December 2013
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

The worst place ever! It's not safe at night. There was this girl looking inside a car like she was trying to steal something. We stayed in one of the rooms and a couple of hours after we arrived there was domestic violence in the next room, like really bad. It sounded like the girl was slammed into the walls and there was a bunch of yelling. The worst thing was that the guy who had tattoos all over, saw us walking into our room before all of this happened. We felt fearful to report him because the other rooms were empty. This is probably the smallest room I have every stayed in. Not worth the price at all. The staff in the office was very rude. They had to call to get authorization to refund us when we had a genuine safety concern. The security guard was standing in the office rather than walking around premises. In order to get a refund they had to kick out the other guy and bring him to the office where we were, so he saw us and our vehicle which made us feel more unsafe. Overall the worst hotel experience in our lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel, You pay for what you get!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 San Diego - Chula Vista, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear chula v,
Thank you for taking time to post your review. Please contact our guest relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide you with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.
Corning, Calif.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

we have stayed here before and it is a busy place, right behind a mcdonalds.
grab a parking spot quick. motorcycles everywhere for a rally, noisy, and people everywhere, even half the night, but the room was fine, no one bothered us, but i was concerned,
front desk had 4 people in the small office, checking people in, so it was in and out quick.
we would stay there again, for 1 night, as it is near the folks we were visiting.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Bridgend, Wales, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We have stayed at this motel 6 many times over the past twenty years. Unfortunately like so many Motel 6 properties it caters for a growing population of families that seem to live there full time. It has become very shabby, noisey and over priced.
However for the traveller it is very easy to find, a very short walk to the San Diego tram/light railway system that quickly whisks you into the centre of town or indeed Mexico (not recommended). Despite the drawbacks, I guess we will continue to use the property.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Motel 6 San Diego - Chula Vista? Share your experiences!