“It used to be such a good motel” 3 of 5 stars

Motel 6 San Diego - Chula Vista
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   745, Chula Vista, CA 91910   |
Ranked #14 of 20 hotels in Chula Vista
Bridgend, Wales, United Kingdom
“It used to be such a good motel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We have stayed at this motel 6 many times over the past twenty years. Unfortunately like so many Motel 6 properties it caters for a growing population of families that seem to live there full time. It has become very shabby, noisey and over priced.
However for the traveller it is very easy to find, a very short walk to the San Diego tram/light railway system that quickly whisks you into the centre of town or indeed Mexico (not recommended). Despite the drawbacks, I guess we will continue to use the property.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

38 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Nanaimo BC Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Yes the area might be a tad scary.....but room big n bright, clean and although beds not exactly firm....had a good nights sleep.
VERY dog friendly with "poop area" out back complete with baggies and disposal.
Vending and laundry facilities.
We found gates locked at night and regular security who were ticketing people not parked correctly etc.
Stayed in 136 on far side with 2 dogs. Train ran close, but finished at midnight.
Seniors discount. WIFI worked well for $2.99 per day.
Girls at front desk were so very helpful with room selection and restaurant choices. (The Pancake House the street is AMAZING.
We were stuck waiting for our Mexican Auto Insurance to come through. Front desk staff VERY diligent in watching and getting faxed information to us.
Many thanks. Geeat Stay

Room Tip: If you have pet....we liked 136
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

I wish the front desk women would have patched me through to 9-1-1 as I had asked her to so that I may report two gentlemen drinking, smoking marijuana and crack cocaine while speaking loudly right in front of my room. Upon the first call to desk she sent security whom when the crack heads saw coming ran. Within 30 minutes the people were back in another location I could see them but I did hear them. I tried dialing 911 but instead the phone went to the front desk where the women said if you see them again give us a call. NOT A SAFE PLACE!!

• Stayed September 2012
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

I suggest not to go to this motel because despite of the good condition the room was really stinky. I guess the night before we came someone with 1 or more dogs was sleeping in the same room. They didnt allow us to leave the luggages in the lobby even if 1 of the receptionist told us that they normally allow that. Never again!!

• Stayed June 2012
Mesa, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012 via mobile

This waa conveniently located off the interstate 5, minutes drive from most
San Diego attractions. The hotel waa clean and also felt safe since it was partially gated. The staff was super friendly and quick to check in. Theres even a Dennys and local pancake house nearby.

• Stayed June 2012
Ensenada, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

This Motel 6 property was a great stay for a recent trip to San Diego. With great proximity to redline (train) and the 5 freeway it was an affordable option within 15 minutes of downtown. Our room was very clean and quiet. Not too sure what some folks were complaining about. We felt safe in this neighborhood and even walked across the street to Emma's Pancake house for some great breakfast food. We'd stay here again for an affordable option when you knew you wouldn't be in the room very much.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Hanford, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Every hotel was booked this weekend, except the Motel 6 on E Street. It is 3AM; and my husband is sleeping in our van right now, because it is quieter than in our room. I can't sleep; so, I am doing something constructive...warning other folks about this horrible excuse for a hotel.

When I called about the dog barking in the room next door, I was informed that the hotel is 'pet friendly' which means dogs can bark all night? No smoking rooms means that you can sit on the steps outside your room...smoking, drinking and talking as loudly as you want...all night long. If you're awake, why should anyone else be trying to sleep. Toot your horn, laugh and shout. Nobody came here to sleep anyway.

As for the rooms...your closet is a small, metal rack next to the toilet. While you shower, your clothes will get steamed...if you can even keep the water warm. The shower will become cooler; and the water pressure will fade away, as you take a shower of more than a couple of minutes. By the way, the tub is slippery with no matt. Step carefully in and out. Don't ask for more than one towel per person, you will be given hand towels and told that they are out of bath towels.

The sink is just that...a basin barely hanging on the wall. There is no counter or shelf for any hygiene items. Of course, you can always put your personal items on the back of the toilet. Isn't that a lovely and clean idea?

There are NO drawers anywhere in the room...not even for the phone book or the Gideon Bible. There is no clock on what passes for a nightstand; so, why should you expect a hair dryer, coffee pot or any other conveniences. If you ask about coffee, they refer you to the MacDonald's out by the street.

The rate of $53 per night does not include WiFi; you will pay for that. Of course, the rate does not include a courteous staff or a full night of sleep either. These people don't care what happens to you in their hotel. "Just give us your money and don't complain about anything." seems to be their policy. Call the front desk, and they will send the security man for your noise problem. Then, he can join the loud people outside your door and tell the manager in the morning that YOU complained too much.

The security man lied and said that no one was even outside of our room, during the night. When I repeated word for word what he had said to one of the young women, he had to admit that he lied...but added, "I didn't hear any dog." Strange, since the dog was in the woman's room and kept barking, while they talked.

When my husband spoke to the manager after our first horrible night, he was actually said, "If you call with a complaint again tonight, you will be asked to leave. So, what sounds like a basketball game in the room upstairs, the barking dogs, and the social gathering on the steps in the middle of the night are perfectly acceptable with the management...but asking for some peace and quiet at 2 or 3 or 4AM is unacceptable behavior that can get us ejected.

We were booked for 3 nights, but we will not be here tomorrow. All the other hotels remain booked up for the weekend. Believe me, I have been trying to find another hotel since that first night. I just can't take anymore of this horrible place.

Hopefully, my husband will be able to get enough sleep in our van to drive us home in the morning. I will have to make up for lost sleep tomorrow on that ride home, unless our hotel neighbors finally go to bed. It is getting a bit quieter, maybe because it is 4AM.

I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: Anywhere but here! Even your car would be better.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Been to Motel 6 San Diego - Chula Vista? Share your experiences!