“Nice, clean, friendly budget motel” 4 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   225 Bay Boulevard, Chula Vista, CA 91910   |
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Chula Vista
GreenLeadersBronze level
CA
“Nice, clean, friendly budget motel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

The front desk lady, Coco, is great. She is very friendly and welcoming. I stay in a lot of middle of the road motels and the majority of front desk clerks are miserable, unfriendly, unhelpful and could really care less about the guest. Not the case here.

The hotel is on a quiet street with views of the bay. It's not paradise, but it was better than I expected. The building is well kept and so is the landscaping. Pool looked clean.

My room was very clean. Good size. Carpet looked newer. No stains or burns. Bathroom looked updated with granite and newer tiles. Air worked fine. TV needs updating. Even very low end motels have updated to flat TV's. Cable is very limited.

My only complaint is not having free wifi. I refuse to pay for wifi. It never works well and no one ever cares when you complain. They try to pawn you off on some third party company for technical support. Free wifi was the #1 amenity that guests look for when searching for a hotel according to Tripadvisor. 89% of people say it's a must. Wake up hotel owners.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
ManagementChulaVista, General Manager at Good Nite Inn San Diego South Bay, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Thank you very much for your excellent review. I will definitely share your comments with Coco, as I do all the reviews with the employees. The reviews really help us to see a bigger picture of where we can make improvements, or what we are doing well. I do agree it would be nice to get the Flat Screen televisions. And our company has updated some of our properties already with the new flat screens. We are just waiting our turn.

We are listening to our Customers and I hope to see changes soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

When I pulled in to check in, I seriously wanted to turn around and go. The can't say what some of the other guests were doing but it was pretty suspect to me. I don't like having to go through unnecessary situations like having to have 25 dollars debited from my account to then have it given back for a deposit. I brought disinfectant and clorox wipes with me and I suggest you do the same. I'm not saying the room was dirty, its just my suggestion. My room had an odor, which was wiped out with my disinfectant. Why they don't put wash cloths to bathe with in the room is beyond me??...and yes, I did request them but didn't get any. Luckily, I had a few packed just in case. When I pulled back the sheets I found hair but the truth is it may have came from a housekeeper why she was making the bed. I've worked at a hotel, it happens. I just think it's something to pay a bit more attention too. No one was to lay in someone else's hair. Its real close to the San Diego zoo and to do a little shopping. This is one of those places where IF you stay expect to deal with some things you probably wouldn't want to because it was a decent price. It is what you make of it. I only stayed for two nights and no more and frankly, I won't come again...Just my personal preference.

• Stayed February 2014
ManagementChulaVista, Manager at Good Nite Inn San Diego South Bay, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Thank you for your response. It's not typical that we do not have wash cloths in the rooms when a guest checks in, and I apologize if it happened to you. We do sometimes allow guests to check in before the 3:00pm check in time, and then we do try to accommodate them even if we know not all the toiletries are in the room just so they can relax and settle in. The unfortunate thing is we then may forget to go back to put the towels in the room. I'm really sorry, I didn't mean to make an excuse, sometimes we try to hard to be accommodating and it back fires. I appreciate this guests understanding with her own housekeeping experience.
Yuma, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

Rooms are clean and affordable. Staff was great! I Did some shopping while in SD and my daughter left 2 shopping bags in the room. Days later I called the hotel and they told me they had them! I was very surprised and happy to know that there's still honest people in this world :) Thank you Good Nite Inn!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
ManagementChulaVista, General Manager at Good Nite Inn San Diego South Bay, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Thank you very much for your comments, we always appreciate it when a guests comments about the cleanliness of the hotel, and hospitality. of the staff. The staff has been here for many years, and they are people who enjoy what they do and enjoy working here. I would trust every one of them. I'm glad you were happy to get your items back. and I hope you think of us again when you next visit the San Diego, Chula Vista area.
Best wishes.
Downey, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

I must say that I've must've spent most of my 2013 at this hotel, whenever I come visit San Diego for a day or two. What I really like about the location is that it's almost right by the trolley station at a walking distance, just right across the 5 freeway. I park my car, so that my engine takes a break (I live in Los Angeles) and the trolley station takes me to where I need to go (Tijuana, Downtown, Old Town, etc.). The front desk and hotel staff are always friendly and courteous...I remember one time when I contacted the hotel to let them know of my late arrival, the receptionist, Coco (if I recall correctly), offered me the choice of my room preference via telephone, and it was a done deal when I got there. The rooms are very spacious and comfortable, and surprisingly, I hear no noise ordinance outside the hotel at night. The room prices are always affordable and reasonable :-)
Unfortunately, on my most recent stay (12/29/2013), I spotted a cockroach on the table stand next to my bed...ahhhhhhh!!! No worries, though, as it's the first time out of God knows how many times I've been coming to this hotel. Overall, I've never had an issue with this hotel, and I do recommend it to other travelers. I'll keep coming back here!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for so many of the positive comments you made. We appreciate you, and for continuing to be a valued guest of ours, and I hope we never let you down. We will always try to meet your requests and provide you with the service expected. We look forward to your next visit with us.
St. George, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

The room was nice and big. The fridge and tv worked well. There was a nori bike smell coming from the carpet, not a bad smell but like someone had recently shampooed. They have us complimentary toothpaste and had a hair dryer. The A/C unit probably needs some work done. It rattled and shut off multiple times. Parking can be an issue. All in all we would stay there again.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagementChulaVista, Manager at Good Nite Inn San Diego South Bay, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I do hope you enjoyed your stay. We continue to make improvements to the property by listening to our customers, and we just received several Air Conditioners this week and are still in the process of installing them. We look forward to having you again. Happy New Year! Please be safe!
moreno valley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

I have stayed here twice with my husband and toddler and have enjoyed our stay both times. The rooms are a good size and are comfortable. The room was clean and I had no complaints. Just so you know it is located right next to a strip club....doesn't bother me lol. Each time I have stayed I payed less then $50 wich is great for a family on a budget... the staff was also very friendly.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for being a loyal customer and choosing to stay with us again. We will always work to provide you with the Best Customer Service and nice clean rooms. We have a couple of more months to take advantage of our low low prices and just remember we always try to offer the Best rates with any hotel in the surrounding area. We look forward to seeing you again. I wish you have a Happy New Year!
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Walked into the room and was greeted by a roach running across the table. RED FLAG! I started inspecting the rest of the room and sure enough a couple of more roaches were crawling around inside the dresser. I requested a room change. Got it. Continued my inspection of the 2nd room and of course, there they were. More roaches; on the wall and beneath the bed. Went back down to the office, canceled my reservation, got my refund and got out of there like a bat outta hell!

• Stayed November 2013
Thank you for commenting. while we never enjoy the negative reviews, they are just as important as the positive ones. I am really sorry if the room you were checked into had a disgusting critter inside, the unusually cold weather lately is having a effect on the outdoor animals that should remain outdoor. We have only seen them in a couple rooms which we are professionally treating and doing everything we can to terminate them so that our future guests don't have to have the same reaction you have. I wish you a very Happy New Year! and I do hope you give us the opportunity to show you we care.

Been to Good Nite Inn San Diego South Bay? Share your experiences!