“Mixed Reviews.......” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 20 hotels in Chula Vista
Downey, California
“Mixed Reviews.......”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

This is lengthly but I hope you read to the end............I wish I had read some of these reviews before I booked our room. After reading the reviews(a little late now), some of the same things guests complained about are still true today. I stayed there this past weekend (Aug. 11th & 12th) and the carpets are still dirty, the outlets are too large that it won't hold a plug. The wallpaper was slightly coming off the edges of the wall which make it look tattered. The hotel manager was a JERK. They demand payment upon arrival for the first night of stay even though they have your credit card on file. I actually saw the hotel manager and a maintenance man remove another guests personal belongings out of their room because they had not paid for that night's stay. Within approximately 2 hours of that happening, I then saw the manager and maintenance man carting back their belongings. To me this is just unacceptable behavior. I personally had had an issue with the manager regarding payment on Saturday. Since, the person had only charged us for the one night's stay upon arrival(which I found odd), I was not told I needed to come in before check-out time which is 11:00 a.m. and pay for that night. At approximately 12:15 p.m. Saturday, I received a very rude phone call from the manager, not requesting payment but demanding I come pay for the room now. I tried to explain to him that I had been up since 4:30 a.m. and was trying to take a nap and that I would be over shortly. That wasn't good enough for him. He once again insisted that I come pay for the room. Needless to say, I went to the office where I came face to face with him. I, once again tried to explain to him that he had had my credit card on file and if for any reason I had to leave on an emergency or otherwise that the card was on file. He didn't seem to care how I felt or what my concern was so long as he had payment. I told him I don't know what kind of hotel you're running here(he interrupted me), his response was "A damn good one" as he walked away. It seems to me his only objective is to have a full house everynight. Regardless of how he achieves it. Of course, we understand we have to pay for the room. But in my eyes their way or rather "his way" of doing business is not within a standard way of any reputable hotel I've ever stayed at. As to whether they are still copying our credit cards, I didn't see that. They obviously are still having problems with the keys. We were locked out twice as well as some other guests. And, this thing with giving keys to the regulars (mentioned in another review). This is definitely bothersome. I hope they're no longer doing this. The hotel photos shown are obviously dated because I didn't feel the property looked as nice on our stay. We ended up at this hotel as a result of availability and affordability. We were in town for a 5k run which was at Petco Stadium and most hotels in the area booked so we needed a place to stay. On a positive note, I have to say that the beds and pillows were comfortable. Access to the trolley is within a very short walk from hotel. You can take it to the US/Mexico border or to downtown San Diego. This is a great form of transportation if you are unfamiliar with the area. Not to mention, the savings on gas. There is a great restaurant right next door (Aunt Emma's - check out my review on them). Housekeeping staff were pleasant and helpful. Front desk were also helpful, but unfortunately having to work under manager's direction. Would I stay there again? Maybe. But, I would definitely check current reviews before doing so.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

154 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

It's slightly better than motel 6 because it has a fridge and microwave. Room looks outdated; tub plug doesn't work; toilet runs; front door hard to open w key. I'd say this hotel is worth $50 a night NOT $63.

• Stayed July 2012
Riverside Cty
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

We booked a room due to my hubs having emergency gall bladder surgery while sightseeing in San Diego. We were given a fair rate for a last minute booking. Room was spacious with lots of counter space in the bathroom, comfortable beds and 4 fluffy pillows on each! Hotel was quiet at night in room 159...near breakfast room. Waffles, 4 selections of cereal, fruit, juice, coffee, danish and boiled eggs were available with lots of seating inside and out. Enough outlets for our phones and tablets. Trolley stop was next door but noise didn't keep us up at night. Aunt Emmas was next door for breakfast (we didn't have time) and Taco Bell and Denneys are walking distance.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Chesapeake, VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

Stayed here Memorial Day weekend 2012: Room was next to pool that desperately needed cleaning, noisy at night and window/door seals were so bad it sounded like the crowd was in my room. I reported that the A/C unit didn't work (no cooling, just a noisey fan) and that the convenience safe was inoperable and got a apologetic shrug from the staff but no repairs. Sliding windows in bathroom and front of room missing locks until I pointed it out to the staff, then they found a set of slider blocks. Room was surface cleaned, but many stains in carpet and on bathroom fixtures. The free continental breakfast was cheerios and stale pastrys.

Crowning touch was the cockroaches I surprised during the night when I used the bathroom.

Not worth the cheap price I got at Hotels.com-unless you want to rent by the hour....

Room Tip: Avoid..pay the extra for a nice place
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Glendale, Arizona, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

Stayed here with husband and baby two nights non-smoking room two queens. Staff were friendly, and fast. Room smelled like smoke, but were very clean.Noisy dring night,people walking around, car wash very close, and sounds of the noisy street. Had a god stay..

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Vernon, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012 via mobile

great value would stay again I don't understand the unfavorable reviews

• Stayed February 2012
Idaho Falls, Idaho
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

we went to so cal jan 19-26. stayed in the chula vista best western. the service was excellent and the clean up/maid service was fantastic! a very good job. the hotel rooms are old, out dated, only 50 channels available, the bathroom was super old. everything overall was old.. but it was QUIET.. their was surveilance cameras so that was appeasing. the continental breakfast was pretty disappointing. the breakfast room was 15X15 foot room with cereal dispensers a few apples a few oranges, 1 waffle maker, and a few danishes. nothing to rave over. i would never stay here again due to the quality of the room. i would def pay the extra for a "nicer" room.. but if you cant afford to spend more.. this hotel is def worth the money you save

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN South Bay Inn? Share your experiences!