“Newly renovated rooms, very nice staff, good value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express San Diego South - Chula Vista

You added Holiday Inn Express San Diego South - Chula Vista to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express San Diego South - Chula Vista
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   632 East Street, Chula Vista, CA 91910 (Formerly Comfort Inn & Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Chula Vista
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Oakville, Canada
“Newly renovated rooms, very nice staff, good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

We stayed here for a week over New Years day while escaping the cold. The hotel is very easy to get to from the I5 (though you do not hear it), has recently renovated rooms, and is near to plenty of shopping and dining options, as well as a few minutes drive to Tijuana. Check in was smooth; they informed us they had run out of cribs but were out buying another one for us and would have it back within half an hour (and they did). We stayed in a Queen Suite, which was a lot more room for not much more money which worked well for this family of 5.

The pool while not large is perfectly adequate. The parking was very simple and free. Breakfast was complete though very busy; items were promptly refilled and tables cleaned. We struggled to find a seat most days at 8AM or so. It was a prime travel time though.

Others have mentioned that they feel this is "not a good area". I did not get that impression at all. The strip mall next door is indeed old, and there are a couple of homeless people as well as down on their luck folks who can be seen on the streets around the hotel. This is true of any major city though and I do not understand why San Diego would be any different, especially given it's excellent dry climate. I was not concerned in the slightest for our car, its contents or our safety at any time - in fact I was less concerned there than I am in the area around LAX. When I drove around the Chula Vista area it reminded me of Hamilton, Canada, and Paisley, Scotland, for example. Bit rough around the edges at times, but that's it.

There were a couple minor things that prevented this hotel from getting a 5* rating, but the biggest one was the internet. As is a common problem these days in many hotels, the bandwidth capacity on the cable connection they're using is woefully too small for multiple devices and streaming media in 2013/2014. Also, the wifi is incorrectly implemented (used public IP address space!!!) and the access points don't have sufficient capacity for devices, rendering it unusable in the evening. This could be fixed by making sure the access points use all the same SSID's, and adding some additional ones, plus adding two or three more cable internet connections (not expensive) and aggregating the bandwidth or looking into a fiber connection (think the aggregated cable would be cheaper and easier at this location). I think they also had a firewall/router problem while we were there which complicated matters further, but there were quite a few technical problems. Working internet is as important as a working elevator these days IMO.

Would be happy to stay here again and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Room Tip: Choose something away from the elevator as the walls are thin and you hear a lot.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
rick o, Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego South - Chula Vista, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Thank you Adam for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay with us. I am glad we were able to make your stay comfortable and accommodating. I will make sure to take all your comments in regards to the internet and discuss them with my IT. We look forward to staying with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Beverly Hills, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

My second day during my business travel in San Diego I stayed here and was amazed at the level of service and professionalism from the staff. I also would like to thank the front desk for the restaurant suggestion in the area. The taxi service this hotel uses for their guests is excellent!! It was on time and very clean. It was a very reasonable flat rate to the airport on a black car airport service. The morning breakfast was also another plus for this hotel. I highly recommend this place.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Colchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Typical Holiday Inn Express with a great Breakfast and excellent staff. Pool was heated so the kids loved it and it is perfectly situated for the Freeway and travel anywhere in San Diego. We did not get chance to use it but the Trolley stop is walking distance if you fancy a night at the Gaslamp Quarter.As other reviews mention the area could be better but we always felt safe and were untroubled by the occasional vagrant wandering passed the Hotel Car Park.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Cedar Rapids, IA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights and I found Holiday Inn to be clean, well maintained, and good price. I rented a car, so I found the location near Interstate 5 to be ideal. I was able to easily drive to various tourist spots. The complimentary breakfast was great and the outdoor pool is heated. There are several restaurants and bars close by. I felt safe and comfortable during my stay. I would definately stay here again next time I visit San Diego.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
San Diego CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

Most HIEx hotels are pretty standard and well -appointed and this is no exception. The hotel is an ok choice if you are in areas south of San Diego; a bit out of the way if your travels are into the tourist areas of San Diego. The hotel is well managed and a reasonable choice; however, the surrounding area is a bit seedy.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
London UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

We needed a family room for one night as there was 3 adults and 1 child. We were given a suite and at £77 for one night with breakfast we were happy.

The Hotel is clean and is close to a few restraunts in the same block.

I would recommend for 1 or 2 nights if you are on route from San Diego to Mexico.

It worked well for us.

• Stayed October 2013
Escondido
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed here last weekend for one night, while in the area visiting friends. Last minute reservation, nicest hotel we could find in the area. We had a handicap accessible king room - very large, with a kitchenette and full size refrigerator. Clean, comfortable, good breakfast - everything we needed. Staff was very helpful. Hotel is close to the San Diego trolley station - so if you were playing tourist, it would be easy to take this trolley to many parts of San Diego and leave your car behind at the hotel. The hotel is next to a older strip mall - avoid that grocery store!! But it is near many restaurants, and freeway close (but not next to it, so no noise).

Room Tip: Our unit was on the 1st floor - not my 1st choice, but it was quiet and worked out fine. Made movin...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Holiday Inn Express San Diego South - Chula Vista? Share your experiences!