“Excellent food.” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Large groups
San Diego, California, United States
“Excellent food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

The food is amazing, although sometimes you do have to wait for a long time to get a table.
Service is great, delicious Margaritas and the House salad is the best.
We usually celebrate my family's birthdays here.

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Chula Vista, California
“One of my son's favorite restaurants”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

We came here for my son's birthday. Knowing how long the lines can be here, I dropped him off to get our names on the list. I parked, walked in, and to my surprise, there was no line (during the week!). As we were being seated, I asked, did you tell them it was your birthday, which he did.
We ordered our dinner and worked on the kiddie placemat puzzles while waiting.
The chicken dish I ordered was delicious, although the mashed potatoes were cold which I brought to the waiter's attention. He asked if I wanted more mashed potatoes which I did, or heat the ones on my plate.
My son's dinner was delicious as well. We finished our meal, the staff came to sing Happy Birthday to him and brought us a small 5 inch chocolate cake, (not that great tasting- think it came out of the freezer). It made my son feel special that they sang to him.
I've taught my son how to judge service and how much to tip so gave him the bill. I was just about to say to him, Give the cake to those guys behind you, I think they are in the military when he said, They charged us for the cake. I said, Your kidding, how much? He said almost $8.00.
Noone said they would charge us for a cake, nor did we ask for a cake. I would have ordered the Tiramisu instead.
On the bill, I also noticed they charged me for an extra serving of mashed potatoes. Once I brought that to the waiter's attention, he credited me, although I should not have been charged in the first place. I paid the bill as I did not want to ruin my son's birthday dinner by making an issue of the extra charges and followed up with their Customer Service dept. I said, I should not have been charged for a cake, especially if we did not ask for it. CS agreed and said they should always inform the guests to this charge beforehand. For our not so great experience, she sent me a small gift card which we used the next time we went and everything the following visit was wonderful and delicious!

• Visited November 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Diego, California
“VERY GOOD FOOD”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

Went there for my girllfriends birtghday the food was good and the service was also very good the only thing I didnt like was that we had to wait 45 minutes but I guess the wait was worth it.

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chula Vista CA
“"No Reservations Taken." Are you kidding?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Four of us have mid-February birthdays, so we decided to gather at the Olive Garden on Saturday.

The most notable thing we took away from the evening was the really long wait. If we hadn't been eleven people in five different cars, we would've immediately bailed out when faced with a stated wait-time of one-and-a-half hours. (It was an optimistic prediction; we got on the list at 5:30 and were seated at 7:10.)

The restaurant stated on the phone midweek that they take reservations but NOT on the weekend. So, the first person to arrive put our party on the list. [Note: I left "Reservations accepted?" unchecked because of this experience.]

We could always see some unoccupied tables. A cynical person might say that they were maximizing the activity at the bar by loading up the building with idle patrons.

The food was good, especially the big, excellent salad bowls and the selection of dressings. The Lasagna Fritta appetizer was a treat. My lasagna main dish was ordinary but my wife's Chicken Marsala was delicious. (She shared -- what a love!)

The wait staff time-shares their duties and they apparently track orders electronically. They got it right except for one drink order but it's a bother to be unsure of whom to talk to. (Wife and I eat out a lot. We know the drill.)

A nearby restaurant was sold and demolished for a construction of a new Red Lobster restaurant. This may be driving extra business to Olive Garden. Good for them ... not so good for us.

They open for lunch and are open until 10:00 during the week and 11:00 on Friday and Saturday.

• Visited February 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Good food, always packed...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2008

Good food, always packed though.