“Clean, friendly, accommodating” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Chula Vista
Birmingham, Alabama
“Clean, friendly, accommodating”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

The young man at the front desk was extremely friendly. When I made the reservation on line, in the "special requests" box, I requested a room in the quietest part of the facility. When we checked in, the clerk volunteered, "We have given you a room in a quiet part of the hotel, just as you requested." I was super impressed by that because it seems like most of the time those special requests go unheeded. The room was quite large and very clean. The bed was comfortable with nice linens and a blanket. Many times, hotel beds do not come with blankets, and I like to cover with more than a sheet when I sleep. I liked that the sink/vanity area is separate from the shower/toilet area. There are soap/shampoo/conditioner dispensers on the wall in the shower and a soap dispenser over the sink in the vanity area. First time I have ever seen this in a hotel, and I like it better than the little travel size bottles. Better for the environment, too. The towels were of good quality. There was plenty of area to sit suitcases, etc., and plenty of hanging space for clothing. The desk clerk warned us that there was a girls' soccer convention staying at the hotel and that we might hear some noise up until 10:00 PM. But we never heard anything...it was quiet all night. If I had to find one thing that I was not pleased with, it would be that the lobby/desk closes sometime during the night. When we left at 5:00 AM the next morning to catch our plane, the lobby was dark and locked up tight. I thought most large hotel desks stayed open all night, and something about that makes me feel a little more secure. But if we ever return to Chula Vista, this will be our accommodation of choice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Chula Vista, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I've stayed at this Best Western multiple times over the last couple of years and I am always satisfied with the service I receive. The rooms are always clean, if there is a problem the front desk staff is quick to handle it. Also the same staff has been at this hotel for a long time. I appreciate seeing the same faces whenever I'm there.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Lubbock, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Very clean property, decent breakfast!!! Room was on the small side, but had everything that we needed. We were enjoying our stay until our last day. We were gone until about 4:30 p.m. and when we returned, we found the room not cleaned. I called the front desk and asked for clean towels which were delivered in just minutes. If we had complained, I think that the room would have been cleaned, but we were tired from a day of sightseeing and did not want to be bothered.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sunnyvale, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

This is the WORST ever! When I checked in, I was aware of a strong odor of cleaning chemicals in the whole room. I though it might need a couple of hours ventilation. Then I opened the window and turned on the AC and left the room. I was hoping that the odor will go away when I am back.

At 8:00pm, I returned to the hotel. I found the odor is as strong as before. I first talked with their manager Anderson and asked to change a room. He said there was no room to exchange. I then asked for a ventilation fan, he doesn't have either. For the safety of my family. I checked out at 9:00pm that night. Needless to say, I had a hard time to find another hotel in 10:00 pm Saturday night.

I still was charged for one night rate even I cannot risk the health of my family to live there that night.

This hotel standard is far below the star rating (2-1/2 star) from website like Expedia and Tripadvisor. Obviously they use cheap/unhealthy chemicals to clean your room. The odors of chemicals is everywhere in the hallway and inside the elevator. Stay away if you don't like that smells.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

This hotel is a great value for people looking for a cheap place to stay when visiting San Diego. Although Chula Vista isn't the most charming town, the 10 miles to downtown SD is a very quick trip. Free continental breakfast, free parking, free wifi, strong Tripadvisor reviews and a great rate were the main factors that attracted me to this property.

Pulling into the hotel late at night, I was worried that that the area was a bit shady (as some of the clientele appeared to be), but this was not the case.

Breakfast ends earlier here than many other hotels (at 9am), and seating is insufficient, so try to go early.

Hotel honored request for upper level room as noted on Hotels.com booking. With a 10% coupon, the rate came to 64.80 during the week, and $81 on the weekend, which was an incredible value for a this hotel and amenities offered. Front desk service was good overall, but Anderson was by far the best on staff.

It looks like the room was recently renovated, though not entirely, because the sink area and particularly the bathroom needed a coat of plaster / paint. The King size bed was very comfortable, but the sheets / blankets could use an update. Also, the hotel should throw out their current stock of towels and buy new. The state of towels/bathroom/bed sheets definitely knock this hotel from "Excellent" to "Very Good". Although the hotel has a pool, I didn't see anyone using it, and it is much smaller than it appears in pictures.

If this hotel was within San Diego city limits, it could easily be twice the price. Make sure to visit Tacos El Gordo down the street in Chula Vista!

Room Tip: I enjoyed a 3rd floor room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
BWCHULAVISTA, Manager at BEST WESTERN Chula Vista Inn, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Michael K.,

We are glad we had the opportunity to serve you during your visit to San Diego/Chula Vista. We very much appreciate and value your feedback as this helps us improve for our future guests. Please keep us in mind the next time you are in the area.

BEST WESTERN Chula Vista Inn Management & Staff
SaarLouis, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed for one night.
Enough free parking, good breakfast, nice beds, clean but really noisie... Right at a Street with thin walls, you could have trouble to sleep, for me it was ok after a 18h flight!

• Stayed May 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

I was in the San Diego area for about a week and actually went to quite a few other hotels before I finally found this one and it was GREAT! The rooms where clean and had everything I needed. The staff was very welcoming and helpful when I had questions. The location was also good. It's on a main road with lots of thing just right down the road. I am definitely looking forward to staying there again on my next visit to San Diego.

• Stayed May 2013

Been to BEST WESTERN Chula Vista Inn? Share your experiences!