“The King of Mediocrity” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner
chino
“The King of Mediocrity”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2010

The worst food and service ever! It's dirty, dark, the food was cold, and the staff unfriendly-except to each other. And the disheveled bartender drank behind the bar all night, cussed like a sailor, and was very loud. Overall, this is the worst "restaurant" I've ever had the misfortune of eating at.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

chino
“never going back”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2009

When your four-year-old says, "No servers have come to see if we're ok," you know that the service is poor. The waitress may have been new, but the owner should know better. I received my dinner, as did my two daughters, but my wife's was nowhere to be seen. "Maybe she just couldn't carry all of it at once," I thought. "It is sure to be right here," I mused. Alas, I was as wrong as using a hair dryer in the bathtub. After I had eaten half of my food, at a semi-leisurely pace, the waitress came by to check on us the first time. I asked about my wife's cheeseburger. The waitress had forgotten to put in the order. By the time I was four/fifths finished, the owner brought out my wife's food. She muttered an apology and that was the last we heard from our waitress. My wife, who was incredibly hungry by this point, wolfed down her food and we looked for the waitress for our check. We couldn't find her. No one came by the table to clear it or see if we needed anything (the four-year-old could have used some more lemonade) for fifteen minutes. Finally, I caught the eye of the owner and asked for the check. My wife took the girls out to the car, I signed the credit card slip and fled. It was as unsatisfying an experience as I have had in fifteen years of dining out. I understand that sometimes a server forgets to put in an order. The difference between a one-star review and a five-star review is what happens next. I didn't expect the entire meal to be comped, but some recognition of the mistake beyond just an "I'm so sorry" would not have been out of line. They could have comped the late entree, or given us a free dessert. Anything to acknowledge their mistake and attempt to atone for it. As I said, mistakes happen. That wasn't the issue. My disappointment comes from the way the problem was (mis)handled. On top of that, the menu was very limited and the food mediocre. We won't be back.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Chino
“Excellent Family Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2009

My family discovered the Cock-A-Doodle shortly after we moved into Chino in 1985. My wife and I eat there probably once a week, especially Sunday mornings when we take the whole family (to include the grandchildren) there for breakfast after church. The food is flavorful, especially the steak and eggs breakfasts and the chef's salads for lunch, and the service is very pleasant. The menu offers a reasonable selection of basic family selections whether it is breakfast, lunch, or dinner. This is a small town family restaurant where they know you and they make you feel good while you are there.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Boyfriend and I found this place because we always drive by it going to a store. It's kinda hidden too. So we ate for...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2008

Boyfriend and I found this place because we always drive by it going to a store. It's kinda hidden too. So we ate for lunch and the food turned out to be really good! The french dip was tasty and their NY steak wasn't bad. Their fries are ADDICTING. I think one of the best fries I've had in a long time. Very nice service and the atmosphere is very home-y.

Emeryville, California
“My NEW favorite breakfast spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2006

I lOVE this place. I walked by this place one day during lunch and perused their weekend brunch menu. Looked amazing and told myself that I'd try it that weekend. I did and kept going back. I used to have weekend brunch at either Venus or La Note in Berkeley. No more! Why wait when you can get a full on, totally delicious breakfast that never has a wait. Plus it has the most lovely garden in back complete with bubbling fountain and a profusion of flowers. Service is great. The coffee is top quality. My favorites: banana rum waffles, salmon hash and the chorizo scramble. I always want to try so many more things on the menu but one of those three items always call to me. Do yourself and favor and try this place. Plus they use quality ingredients (lots of organics meat and produce!)