“Salty food and poor service” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #76 of 277 Restaurants in Chico
Cuisines: American, Californian
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Doing business, Entertaining clients
Orinda, California
“Salty food and poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Graduation day, and they weren't busy - that should be a clue.
We made a reservation, but they didn't have it when we arrived.
The waitress came over promptly - took our drink order ($10 martini) and appetizer order.
The graduation menu ($29 for tuna) included "tapas" and "petite desserts." My husband and I ordered from that menu..
My son got calamari and a steak.
The drinks were fine, not great. The calamari was salty and rubbery. My husband ordered an appetizer in addition to his tapas. The tapas didn't come until we asked for them mid-meal. His appetizer didn't come either - we had to ask for it twice. The tapas were tiny bits of food on toothpicks, and not in an artistic way - just placed on a plate. They were cold. Was this the "tapas for two graduation dinners?"
My son's steak was small, and dry even though he asked for it medium rare. My dinner was tasteless except for salty. I almost sent it back, but I really don't like to do that. I just gave half of it to my son because he looked like he was still hungry after his calamari and steak.
The petite desserts were nothing special - and there were not two of each - remember two graduation dinners were ordered.
Well, he graduated, so we won't be back, but we wouldn't return anyway.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Chico, California
“usually poor service, hard to get a parking spot.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Usually Poor service, hard to get a parking spot. food quality always changing sometimes good sometimes terrible, not worth the trouble.

San Francisco, California
“Really good breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Came in for breakfast during a stay at the hotel, the food was really good. While there are many options for breakfast in the central Chico area this one has some nicer options on the menu and is a good place to go to if you want something different from standard fare. I will definitely try the restaurant in the evening next time I am in town.

Visited April 2013
Chico, California
“Disappointing in so many ways”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I haven't been to Johnnie's in a while but our party of five chose the location because they said on the telephone that they serve lunch starting at 11 a.m.

Little did we know that you can come in at 11:00 but you can't sit in the dining room...you have to sit in the bar. The place was empty except for one guy at the bar. I have no idea why we couldn't sit in the more comfortable dining room for our business lunch. The music in the bar was too loud and distracting.

We ordered colas and iced tea. All four colas were flat and had to be replaced. The service was so slow and it took a long time to receive our food. Four of us received food but the fifth was another five minute wait (it was a salad).

The food was below par. The only thing not horrible was the price point for entrees. It was fairly inexpensive. We were hosting two out-of-town visitors and I was embarrassed.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“I hope the new chef makes changes”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Our waiter repeatedly criticized the chef and the menu choices, the food was less than average. However, TV ads indicate they've made changes. Not sure I have the courage to go again after the bad experience and word-of-mouth that continues.