“Not worth it's own Hype!” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 277 Restaurants in Chico
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: We are a locally owned neighborhood restaurant in Downtown Chico. We feature USDA Prime Beef, market fresh seafood, homemade desserts, extensive wine list and full bar. We have a banquet facility available for private events as well as outdoor patio seating (weather permitting).Please call us for more information or visit our website or facebook page.
Vina, CA
“Not worth it's own Hype!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2007

First the good! The decor was great. The Garlic Mashed Potatos were EXCELLANT. The sour doug bread was great. The wait staff Top Notch. The dessert for my wife's birthday was outstanding. Then It goes down hill from there. This resturant was recomended to me from a close friend as being better than Outback SH. He could not be more wrong. Dreadful comes to mind of their cusine. The house salad, horrible, the ranch dressing was white liquid with no taste. The iced tea tasted of flowers, what? The steak was prepared well, with no taste. The lighting was low and flickering constantly, and the place was too loud. $ 35.00 for a meal where the steak and potatos were the only included items is bad. This resturant failed in the primary item nessesary for sucess, taste. This resturant lacks it almost wholly. Deffinately not worth the prices they charge, and we did not order the expensive items.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Best steak in town...Noisy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2007

Best steak in town...Noisy

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“no one gets 5 stars! This is very good for Chico though.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2007

no one gets 5 stars! This is very good for Chico though.

Kansas City, Missouri
“Great food, good service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2006

As an earlier review indicated, prepare for a long wait. We arrived at about 6 PM on a Friday and were seated at 7 PM. The bartender was cheerful and attentive while we waited- unlike some places, it was not hard to get his attention.

Food was excellent- enough unusual ingredients to make it interesting, but not weird. There were 4 of us and we loved it all. What really motivated me to write a review, though, was the attention our waitress paid to a woman in our party who had a lot of health issues- she really wanted to order lobster but needed sauce to wash it down because of a respiratory problem, and couldn't eat butter. The waitress cheerfully consulted the kitchen, brought out a sherry cream sauce being used for one of the fish dishes and had our friend taste it. She liked it so they served the lobster with it and our friend devoured every bite. I always appreciate a restuarant that considers someone's dietary limitations a challenge and rises to meet them. Dinner for 4, with a total of 3 glasses of wine and 2 beers but no dessert ran $155 with tip. We thought it was great for what we got.

Chico is a heck of a trip from San Francisco (we drove from SFO during rush hour and it was a 6-hour nightmare) but if we ever get to that area again we'd go back.

chico, ca
“Awesome food, great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2006

My roommate and brother took me to 5th Street for my birthday last weekend. There was a 90 minute wait on a Saturday night, but I have to admit it was worth it. Get there early, have a drink at the wonderful bar, and maybe start with an appy (their calamari are fantastic). I had the one of their specials of the day which were melt-in-your-mouth scallops. It came with risotto and brocolini. Their special salad with pears was truly amazing. The prices weren't bad at all. I think the bill for three of us, drinks included, was in the ballpark of $150. This included desserts, but mine was free because the server found out it was birthday.
Well worth our wait, but I'd suggest if you're in a hurry make reservations, which are accepted Sunday-Thursday. Ask for Kathy to be your server - she went out of the way to make sure my meal was prepared properly - I have severe food allergies.
There is a kids menu, but I'm not sure it's a restaurant I'd take a child to. Just my opinion, though.