“convenient location with great price” 4 of 5 stars

Safari Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2352 Esplanade, Chico, CA 95926   |
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Chico
Canyon Lake, California
“convenient location with great price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I moved my daughter up to Chico in August for school and spent 3 nights at this motel. I really just needed a place to sleep since we would be runing around during the day getting her moved in to her new place by the college. The price was amazing like $42 a night, and it was close to everything you need. You could walk to walgreens and fast food if you wanted to. It was also very close to freeway. It was definitely not fancy but I wasn't there to vacation. The place was clean enough the bathroom was clean (only a shower) and the TV and remote worked just fine. It was over 100 degrees each day and I had no problems wih the air, walked into a cold room every night. I love all the trees on the property and the very best part of this motel is that you can pull your car up right in front of your motel room. No long hallways os stairs to climb when your coming and going all day long.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

The rooms are clean and the fee is minimal. However, the pool was a little scary looking and I was a little unhappy that I booked the room with 3 people but only got two towels even after requesting more. The office does not open until sometime after 9, making it very difficult to get service (towels, toilet would not flush properly). Inquired about checking out since they were closed when I would be leaving and was told to leave my key in room and leave. Little worried that I did not get close-out papers!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Paradise, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

These managers seem to not really care about the guests. They only care about themselves and their "large" property. I stayed here for a week and everyday for an hour in the morning they blow leaves, right by the room doors, waking you up. The pool was disgusting. They had 3 chairs by the pool, one of which was broken, and there was dirt, leaves and other debris floating in the pool. No employees smiled ever. I also saw a woman complain to the owner that her car was broken into, and she didn't seem slightly concerned. When I complained about the leaf blower in the morning, she was not concerned just said there was nothing they could do, and walked away. Extremely inconsiderate. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY, UNLESS YOU PLAN ON ONLY STAYING ONE NIGHT.

Room Tip: Go camping.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

I love to stay at cheap hotels--occasionally you find a gem. The Safari Inn, unfortunately, is not. I couldn't find the place on Mapquest, which is my fault, so I called the front desk. I told the proprietor that I had a reservation on line, and asked him for directions since I had just arrived in town. He barked back, "Name!?" I repeated my request for directions, which he then provided.

Arriving at the motel, I told the proprietor I had a reservation, and showed him the booking from the internet. Again he growled, "Name!?" "It's on the booking," I retorted. He proceeded to take my registration and credit card information, and gave me the room card. I had to ask him what the room number was. Pretty rude, but I understand that life is hard and then you die.

The room was adequate, but no wifi, or ethernet. There was a television, but no cable hook up. Guess it's just for show. What I loved was the mattress, the pillow, and being asleep. If the guests need anything but this, I would really recommend a friendlier place.

Room Tip: Drive farther down the road.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
reno
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

This was the only room in Chico we could book as it was graduation weekend. I would strongly recommend staying in a close town rather than staying here. It is filthy and felt unsafe. The tile in the bathroom was cracked and moldy. The toilet ran all night. Don't let the outside fool you. That's by far the best looking part of this motel.

Room Tip: Choose someplace else!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

I stayed here with a few friends for three nights. We paid $50 a night, the cheapest place we could find in Chico. But I honestly would have paid a little bit extra somewhere else for some clean sheets.

When we checked in the woman who owns the inn (it's family run) was rude and impatient with us when I asked if we could check in early (there were probably two rooms out of 50 that were in use) and when I had a simple question about the billing information.

When we got into the room one of the first things we noticed was a large wet spot on the carpet that they had tried to cover up with a lamp, and the countless stains and burn holes all over the sheets of both of the queen beds. Even the pillowcases were stained. And I'm talking heavily stained. The bathroom door had no lock and when someone was in the bathroom, and someone else went outside of the room, the opening of the door to the outside was somehow able to open the bathroom door. Also, there was a camper parked right outside the bathroom window which didn't allow for much privacy. The wall had a hole in it where it looks like they stuck incense in to burn. The beds were awful. I could feel the springs when I sat or laid on it. Needless to say I didn't get much sleep while we were there.

Upon seeing all these things when we arrived I was surprised that when we couldn't get the Internet working the father of the family came by and tried to help us. He too has a bit rude and impatient but still, it was one of the pluses of the Safari Inn. Also, the shower is quite nice. Also, there was a mini refrigerator and microwave in the room and both worked perfectly.

The pool is tiny and looked kind of dirty. Also, there was some sort of construction going on at the back of the motel which started promptly at 5:30 AM. Very loudly. And the two vending machines were very poorly stocked.

I was in town to see Chico because I'm going to be going there in the fall for school so most days we were out doing things in the town, but even then, we had to drive. It's not close enough to the campus or downtown to walk anywhere. We did walk to Walgreens across the street, however.

I would advise anyone considering this hotel to pay a bit more for a better one unless you bring your own bed sheets and pillows and are not going to be in the room very much.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
previse
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

Chico has several 50s era motels on what remains of old highway 99 , most of which don’t show up on the internet. The Safari looked like the best of the lot, superficially the room looked ok, and we stayed there. We’d have been better off out by the freeway.

The bathroom was cruddy. By that I mean there was crud where there should have been calk or paint, and the bathroom walls were bubbled up in large sections where the wall covering was separating from the backing. There weren’t enough electric outlets in the room. No place to plug in a computer, and the floor lamp could be used only by unplugging something else. The bed was lumpy and the sheets didn't cover it properly, so I found myself waking up all night with my face in the mattress pad.

It’s inexpensive. We overheard a couple walking past our room say “For fifty dollars, it’s not THAT bad.” Maybe not.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Safari Inn? Share your experiences!