“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Redding, California
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

The burger was awesome. Buns were great. The fried cheese from melting on the grill was the best. It is a small building so there isn't much seating.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Fort Irwin, California
“Woweeee”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I liked everything about this joint! I think it used to be a small automotive place of some sort but now they are putting out one of the best burgers I have ever had! The service is friendly as well!

Visited April 2013
Chico, California
“On of Chico's old time favorites”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Nobby's is as well know in Chico as the place to get a burger. Nobby's has been around for a long time, and cranking out as good of burger as you can get.

Visited February 2013
Texas
“I've been really, really good...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

So, if I can have just one wish, Mr/Ms. Hamburger Fairy…

The next time I go to Chico, please drop me in front of Nobby’s for my burger fix. Nobby’s is in this small northern California college town. I assume that all “Chiconians” know about Nobby’s and have been there many times, at least when they have permission from their doctor.

Nobby’s is for the diner who wants real beef, a good bun, lettuce, pickle, onion and FRIED cheese. At least that’s what I call it. I think they must put the cheese on top of the burger and cover it with a lid. Some of the cheese escapes, runs over the side of the patty and sizzles on the grill until a crispy orange ring forms.

This is my description. Not sure how the chef describes the technique, but the end result is terrific.

Since I was being reasonable and in charge of ordering I avoided the onion rings, concentrating instead on the French fries. I was expecting the usual limp, lukewarm sticks that are the norm. Instead, the server RUSHED them out to us as soon as they were ready. Our burgers weren’t ready at the same time but that didn’t matter; the fries were crisp, hot and delicious!

Nobby’s is a busy place. The order line often extends past the door…that’s not hard because the distance between the counter and the door is about 15 feet. Place your order, pay by cash (they add a fee for debit/credit card) give your name and wait for your order to arrive. If you’re lucky enough to get a table, the server brings your food to you.

In spite of the activity, the servers are pleasant and kind. And, did I mention that it’s inexpensive?

Thank you, Hamburger Fairy for this one last request. I promise I’ll start my diet tomorrow.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chico, California
“Juicy Burgers with a Halo of cirspy cheese”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

This place is awesome! They only accept cash and they have interesting hours but definitely worth going to. The best thing here is their cheddar cheese burger. They put the burger on a skillet, drop a hand-full of cheddar on top, the cheddar melts on the burger but creates a crispy halo around it that is most excellent.

Visited March 2013