“A bit ackward to find this motel. Surprisingly quiet next...” 4 of 5 stars

You added Super 8 Chico to your Saves list
Super 8 Chico
1.5 of 5 Motel   |   655 Manzanita Ct, Chico, CA 95926   |
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Chico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

Very nice room only the sink got clogged after one use, the fridge was unplugged upon my arrival and when I plugged it in it started clicking like a bomb was about to go off in which it never got cold whatsoever. One of my light fixtures was blown out and I had a few flies buzzing around while trying to relax after a two hour drive. Didn't complain because it wasn't like I was at the Hilton but the next morning my colleague asked for a room switch at check out time and she was told to check out of the hotel altogether for making a complaint which was ludicrous because she told that by the manager.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Super8Chico, Front Office Manager at Super 8 Chico, responded to this review, September 8, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for commenting our your stay with us.

Elk Grove
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

This is an older hotel, but I found it well-maintained and comfortable for a short stay in the area.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Super8Chico, Front Office Manager at Super 8 Chico, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for commenting our your stay with us.
As a valued member of the Super 8 Chico, your feedback is very important to us and I can assure you that we will use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. We are trying to some upgrades to help. New Tv's recently installed and new bedding and pillows will be coming soon. We know you have a choice in hotels and we are delighted that you chose ours. We hope to see you again!

Cody
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

If all you want is a comfortable place to stay, a hot shower and a decent breakfast, this is the place for you. That is what I wanted, that is what I expected, and that is what I got. If my travels ever return me to Chico, I will stay here again. This is a comfortable, albeit quite basic, place to stay.

Now the details that I noticed during my four day stay.

Apparent Safety

Some motels you visit, you just don't feel right; other places seem quite safe. The Super 8 seemed safe, both inside and outside. And that goes a long way in getting a good night's sleep. The area around the hotel contained two other hotels and a restaurant. There were no loud noises during the night, but there were sidewalks all around, which is a good sign.

Public Transportation

There is a bus that passes near the motel daily except Sunday, but there are no close bus stops. The motel is four miles from the airport and about two miles from downtown Chico. If you walk from the airport as I did, there is a bikeway into town, although the entrance from the airport is non-intuitive and you should ask someone at the airport how to get on the path.

The Room

The bed was comfortable, the lighting was sufficient for reading and writing, and there was both a desk and a round table. Despite the highway just outside, road noise was minimal. A window heater/air conditioner provided noisy, but appropriate temperature control for the room.

Room security was ensured by a standard bar lock, dead bolt and peephole. Entry into the room was by means of a key card. The ONLY thing I did not like about the room was that there was NO IN-ROOM safe. That has become somewhat a necessary and expected amenity on my list.

There was a clock radio, coffee maker (with a rather blasé-tasting coffee), iron and board, luggage stand, microwave, waist-high refrigerator, phone, and flat-screen TV. They provided enough storage space for an entire family's clothing.

The view from the sealed window was not inspirational, providing only a view of a parking lot, but everything outside was clean.

One nice thing: there was one readily accessible unused outlet that I could plug my travel extension cord into. Usually I have to hunt for the outlets and then half the time unplug something in order to finally access one.

Bathroom

The bathroom was austere but totally functional. They provided bath and hand towels, wash clothes, a hair dryer, facial tissues, bar soap and shampoo. But that's all. The towels and wash clothes were perhaps the smallest and thinnest I have ever seen in a motel, but although not luxurious, they did the job very well.

The mild downers in the bathroom were the lack of hair conditioner and the design of the bathroom tissue dispensers. The dispensers were borderline useless and the tissue rolls would be pulled out with every use if you did not hold on to the roll as you pulled. Perhaps these dispensers worked when new, but they should be replaced with something better. The tissue itself was standard hotel/motel sandpaper, but I have encountered this even at four and five star hotels in major cities.

One other thing: this Motel 8 has not yet gone Green, which I thought strange for California. They still change towels (and probably sheets) daily rather than giving us the opportunity to reuse them, which of course saves water and reduces the amount of detergent that finds its way into the city sewer system. Some may think of this as A Good Thing.

Dining Room

Okay, I use the term "Dining Room" rather loosely. Perhaps the term "breakfast nook" would be more appropriate. A small room with only three tables, but it was of sufficient size for everyone while I was there (at 6:30 AM in December); YMMV. The breakfast was basic, but adequate and actually quite good. But then I have become somewhat addicted to the waffles produced by the motel waffle makers that have become almost standard in the last couple of years. But the motel did provide Log Cabin syrup, which I think enhanced the enjoyment.

The coffee in this little breakfast area was much better than that found in the rooms. It was not really great, but it was much better than the instant stuff found with the room coffee makers.

Pool

A pool is available, but it was closed for the season. Since the temperatures dipped below freezing (a rare event for Chico), I thought this was quite appropriate.

Personnel

Everyone was nice and quite helpful. They were friendly and able to answer all of my questions about places to eat and how to get around.

SUMMARY

This Super 8 met my needs very well. I liked the place. I have stayed in much nicer places with a boatload of amenities that I do not use, but this place was comfortable and affordable.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for commenting our your stay with us. It was an awesome review and very helpful.
As a valued member of the Super 8 Chico, your feedback is very important to us and I can assure you that we will use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. We only change sheets at checkout unless requested or long term stays. Towels are changed daily unless requested through front desk. We know you have a choice in hotels and we are delighted that you chose ours. We hope to see you again!

Head Front Desk Clerk

Been to Super 8 Chico? Share your experiences!