“OMG... Hideous” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 17 hotels in Chico
San Jose, CA
“OMG... Hideous”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

There aren't many hotels that top the level of disgusting that the Extended Stay America has to offer, but this one really takes the cake. We were not the only people in our party staying at this hotel and when they rolled up at the check in time none of the rooms were ready. They came back an hour later and still none of the rooms were ready. The first thing that you notice when it being assigned your room on the second floor is that they have never ever ever ever cleaned the staircase the railings or the floor. its disgusting. We got into our room and none of the light fixtures worked. Not just the bulbs were burned out, the actual fixtures were broken. The curtains were falling down, the coaxial cable in the back the television was bad so you got absolutely no signal, and the furniture was just dirty. But nothing can top the dead cockroach that I found in my bed after having slept in it. I highly advise you not to stay here.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
htlboss, Owner at Vagabond Inn Chico, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
It's disappointing to hear we didn't leave a better impression on you! However, after reading your review, I can certainly understand why. Can you tell me what room you stayed in? I'd like to personally take a look at it as soon as possible so I can make sure it's guest-ready.

37 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Westlake Village, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

If you are ok with mold in the fridge, dirty furniture,filthy baseboards and bubbled ceiling that could full on you, this is the place to go. I paid $452.08 for 2 nights, May 2014, managed to get a refund of $50 whoopy should have been more like $400.

Room Tip: Don't go!!
Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
htlboss, Owner at Vagabond Inn Chico, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Thanks for following up with us after your stay, Linda. The last thing we want is for any of our guests to leave frustrated, but I certainly understand where you're coming from. I really appreciate you speaking up about the problems with your room when you were here; please know that we're working on addressing these issues!

Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Unless you like cockroaches, dont come here! The rooms were DISGUSTING as well as the shower. I wish i would have slept in my car. All they have is instant coffee and its NOT in your room. The towels were straight nasty. I dont think the clerk at the front desk even knew how to speak english. There were gangsters and prostitutes outside asking where the nearest motel 6 was so they could "do the deed." There were tweakers upstairs blasting country music during the early hours of the morning. Im pretty sure the beds gave me gonorrhea. I hated it! Dont come here!!! Not worth it.

• Stayed October 2013
htlboss, Owner at Vagabond Inn Chico, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
I'm certainly sorry to hear you were so put off by your stay at our inn, but I appreciate you taking the time to let me know what you think. Nothing is more important to us than our guests' health and safety, so the last thing we want is for anyone to feel uncomfortable in our rooms. Please know that I plan on sharing your feedback with our housekeeping and maintenance staffs; it'll serve as an important reminder that we can always do better!

Harquer
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

OK, so it's not Marriott or Starwood, but then if you could afford those you wouldn't be reading this.

I can't explain the bad reviews --- maybe I lucked up with the nicest room.
I certainly didn't feel "ripped off."

Run by a very friendly (to me, anyway) family led by Mohommad, the Vagabond Inn Chico presents a clean, basic accommodation at a MUCH cheaper rate than the nearby Courtyard and Residence Inns by Marriott. Of course the furnishings aren't as nice either, being a bit older & more warn. But the bed was very comfortably, the linens clean.

While there's a similar class motel across Main Street probably at competitive rates, that one doesn't have the clean, well, kept pool that sets Vagabond just a notch higher.

Franchise-run operations can be disappointing, and I had some disappointing experiences with some of them, but not this one. Mohommad & family do a great job making the daily rounds and ensuring guests have what they need.

This is an older motel, so there will be the predicable maintenance snafu (my window wouldn't close completely, leaving a half-inch gap) but, again for the price -- not unreasonable. For the most part, the paint & paper are fresh, the carpets vacuumed, and the plumbing all in working condition.

One drawback are any celebratory weekends --- Chico is a college town, and big enough to get road show Pop/Rock band appearances, and when the kids come in for weekend party/show visits, the cost-effective motel gem fills up. And the kids come & go all night and gather in the parking lot with some loud conversation.

To their credit, when I stuck my head out & asked them to keep it down, they cooperated without animosity. During the weekday nights, all was quiet, but for the weekends I would suggest to Mohammad that he put a watchman on to ride herd on the weekend riots.

Room Tip: Upstairs, especially if it's a weekend, and in the wing next to the office, the proximity of whi...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
htlboss, Owner at Vagabond Inn Chico, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
That's a great idea, Harquer! Thanks for pointing to the noise on busy weekends in your review. We're always looking for ways we can improve the overall guest experience, and having someone on hand to patrol our parking lot, etc., at night is certainly a way to do that. If you have any other helpful suggestions, feel free to send them my way!

Thanks again,
Mohammad
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

The Vagabond Inn is probably the WORST hotel I've ever stayed at! Granted the room itself was fairly decent, even though the toilet leaked everywhere. The main problem was the service. My husband and I have been stranded in California because our car and money were stolen. We had a little over $160.00 left when we came to the Vegabond Inn for 2 nights. They said they had smoking rooms available with a fridge and a microwave which is what I reserved over the phone. We I got there and the young man behind the counter didn't speak English at all. He had to run get his father. Then they said that they didn't have any smoking room; a minor annoyance but we were tired and went with it, we didn't mind smoking outside with the beautiful weather. When we got to the room there was no fridge, no microwave, and only 20 channels on the TV. Later on, I was checking my debit card statement online and on top of charging me for the normal price of a room with the fridge, they placed a $50 deposit on my card which I knew NOTHING about. It was never even mentioned to me and is nowhere on their website. The people who ran the place told me that my card would only be charged if we smoked in the room (WHICH WE DIDN'T DO). When we checked out, we made sure that he didn't smell smoke and he agreed that there was no smoke smell and the money should be back on that day. It's been over 36 hours and the last $50 I had to my name is STILL not on my debit card. The reciept they gave me didn't have any mention of a charge. The customer service people for the company also have yet to return my calls. Another man also had a smilar problem. He was charged $100 and smoked outside his room. Though he did leave the AC running and the door open, he didn't actually smoke inside the room. The poor man even called the police regarding this problem and was still made to pay. I do think that the staff could have spoken to him regarding smoking with the door open instead of ignoring it and charging him for nearly the same price of a 2 night stay. These people take advantage of people who have been in bad situations. Meth is smoked freely INSIDE those hotel rooms and they aren't charged extra, but cigarette smokers are charged rediculous amounts even when rules are followed.

• Stayed August 2013
htlboss, Owner at Vagabond Inn Chico, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Rest assured that we would never, under any circumstances, take advantage of our guests, nor do we tolerate drug use on our property. While I am sorry for the confusion the $50 charge caused, I want you to know we in no way meant to confuse or frustrate you. I apologize if you felt like we were trying to pull the wool over your eyes; I guarantee that wasn't our intention.

Has the money been refunded to your debit card? If not, please give me a call; I'm committed to making sure this issue gets resolved.

Pasadena
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

My son and I stayed just one night while visiting the college campus. The service was good and the room was clean. The only complaint was that the toilet was a little low and wiggled, but no other complaints. I will definitely stay there when I come to visit!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Thanks for staying with us, Leslie! I appreciate you reminding us about the problems you had with your toilet. I think you'll be happy to hear our staff has since taken care of it!

Until next time,
Chico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Yes, it was an unfortunate experience. For the same cost, I went around the corner to Heritage Inn. Microwave, refrigerator, and a lot more than just warm water and packets of instant coffee, and cellophane snacks for breakfast. My friends in town kidded me for staying at the Vagabond, apparently this place was a dump in the 80's when we were college students and I didn't even know. I'm sorry my 16 year old daughter had to see this place. We WERE going to check out Chico College but now she's seen too much.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

I'm sorry to hear that too, Loisann. We consider ours a great place to stay in Chico, so the last thing we want is for anyone to get the wrong impression of our standards and values. Although I'm disappointed we ultimately lost your business, I appreciate your candid feedback; I know it will only help us to improve.

Regards,
Mohammad, Owner

Been to Vagabond Inn Chico? Share your experiences!